trexeth

Zombie Running speed

Zombies Slow or Fast  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Zombies will be slow or fast?

• Slow
    • Fast

I think it is the most interesting topic.

Slow or Fast zombies.

Give your suggestion, and state why below!

Slow - Slow movement, Serious effects if bitten (Bleeding, Infection, High Damage)

Fast - Fast movement, Not Serious effects if bitten.

Will you be able to run from zombie, or not?

That's the point.

THREAD UPDATE!!! Even new update! lol!!

Okay, so a small summary, say if you disagree:

-3 types of zombies - Walking (they walk and run), jumping (they ony jump), crawlers ( they only crawl)

-Zombie 3 lifecycles:

--Young (Faster then a player ( a bit), spawn in non-habit areas, such as fields, walk alone)

--Average (Something between Walkig and Running speed, so they are a bit slower then a human, They Roam map in big folks, in order to find humans)

--Old (A bit slower, then Average zombie, but they always spawn in big cities and villages, so they are spawining only in habit areas, and the most popular zombie type)

-A lot of zombies, if you shoot, you atrract a lot of zombies. Especially many zombies in the cities, villages, and Roaming map randomly.

Undecided ideas: (Need to be discussed more)

-Kill zombie, only with headshots, (body shots, make them weaker (slower, less damage)), but kill only with Headshots.

Ex: If you shoot both arms, they can't attacck you with arms.

Ex2:If you shoot one leg, zombie can only crawl.

Ex3:If you hit body, zombie will stop for 1 second (something like stun), then continue running, but slower.

How to use it: If you are in a hurry, you can just shoot into legs, rapidly, so they won't catach you.

Let's Dicuss the undecided idea, called: Leg,Hand,Body,Head shot reaction.

Zombie evolution biography:

Young zombie spawn, run solo, triy to find some human, that they can eat.

Then they become Avergae aged, and at that time they Scout the map in big folks (5-50 zombie)

Then they become Old, and they don't run that much, and live in very big folks in Cities or villages. (In Village from 5 to 30) In city (from 50 to 150)

So in total, there will be 9 Zombie types.

Strong and Fast zombies are young, and go alone, without folk.

Average and Old zombies, run a bit slower, but travel/live in big groups, or villages or cities.

Edited by trexeth
  • Like 2

When fed can keep up with U...

When they havent eaten for months they are slow cause their body just cant produce anymore energy assuming they dont eat salad...

When fed can keep up with U...

When they havent eaten for months they are slow cause their body just cant produce anymore energy assuming they dont eat salad...

Ok, so if zombie is young - he is fast, old - slow?

Seems like ppl wnat slow zombies

100% for slow, 0% for fast!

yeah 3 people voted lol

Yah, Joking on Statisitics))

It's like Pre-Election Statistic.

100 ppl asked only)

Maybe both at same time.

Developers will decide.

Here we just state our opinions and likenesses

A good variant will be some random system, where every zombie has random HP and running speed. Animations should be different too. For example, one will be running, and the animation will be like he is walking fast, and another will be running at the same speed as player.

Maybe both at same time.

Developers will decide.

Here we just state our opinions and likenesses

Rocket has mentioned introduction of a Zombie life-cycle, I assume that means, a bit like dead island, fresh infected would be more human like and fast, older zeds would be tougher but slower.

• Like 1

Rocket has mentioned introduction of a Zombie life-cycle, I assume that means, a bit like dead island, fresh infected would be more human like and fast, older zeds would be tougher but slower.

Yeah, maybe that will be great.

Slow or fast zombies is same question as who appeared first - chicken or egg

Slow - Slow movement, Serious effects if bitten (Bleeding, Infection, High Damage)

Definitely this I would prefer them to be at a speed walking or almost jogging speed but if it becomes too easy to lose them their should be more of them and they should be a bit smarter in knowing how to catch you.

• Like 1

Slow(er), with a shit ton more zombies. Fill the streets, so taking a shot at these guys is absolutely insane unless cornered or you have one seperated from a group. And roaming hoards that randomly step on you out in the boonies.

• Like 1

Fast like a human but also stronger than a human when they are young: they lose the strength inhibitor because their brain capacity gets reduced, but they also take more damage when dealing damage (they can break their own bones trying to kill you). But as TexasRanger said above, they gradually lose their speed and strength due to lack of food etc.

Edited by shanewalsh

I had imagined an excuse to make the slow "shambler" zeds harder to kill (headshot only, Romero style, for gameplay balance) would be that while they are becoming more old and rotten, their internal organs become more and more redundant, reducing the effect firearms have on their bodies.

It wouldn't make sense, from taking a purely challenge oriented approach, to make the infected that move slowest also the easiest to dispatch.

Whether DayZ goes this way, we'll just have to wait and see. I can only say for certain, that's how I would choose to handle things.

• Like 2

I like Chabs idea with the mix of the two plus balance.

I like fast zombies becuase just being able to outrun a zombie seems too easy. I like being chased and thinking "O shit, O shit, O SHIT"

-Average speed zombies, slower then runing human. (So, you can run) Their speed is betweeen you Character walking, and running speed.

-A lot of zombies, if you shoot, you atrract a lot of zombies. Especially many zombies in the cities, villages, and Roaming map randomly.

-Kill zombie, only with headshots, (body shots, make them weaker (slower, less damage)), but kill only with Headshots.

Ex3:If you hit body, zombie will stop for 1 second (something like stun), then continue running, but slower.

How to use it: If you are in a hurry, you can just shoot into legs, rapidly, so they won't catach you.

-Average speed zombies, slower then runing human. (So, you can run) Their speed is betweeen you Character walking, and running speed.

I like Chabs idea with the mix of the two plus balance.

I like fast zombies becuase just being able to outrun a zombie seems too easy. I like being chased and thinking "O shit, O shit, O SHIT"

I'm still thinking whether I prefer a zombie that can be explained by science (eg: why would you get tired and they wouldn't?), or kind of dark magic. Not knowing what's causing it can also be good, because it will make it more of a nightmare. Skeptics will try to rationalize it (but won't have much to work with, no laboratories), superstitious will think hell's gates have been opened, etc.

I prefer fast zombies, the game is already imbalanced because zombies don't do shit even being fast, and instead of worrying about them you have to worry about trolls shooting at you. But how to explain fast zombies? In some movies they aren't really dead, they are just humans with some kind of rabid disease, which is a good explanation.

I think a challenge a survivor would face when being chased by fast zombies is to decide whether to run fast too (and eventually collapse if didn't manage to get to a safe place), or stop and do something. If he's being chased only by a few zombies, fighting back could be better, but at the risk of getting bitten and infected.

If we have slow zombies we will definitely need a more apocalyptic element, like periodic, massive waves of zombies (in some movies/series you see packs of zombies travelling for unknown reasons), and a more harsh environment to make it harder to leave your stuff and run. Someone suggested implementing seasons. I can imagine the watchman in a snowed forest yelling "a pack is coming in this direction!". So first everyone gets ready for a fight. But then they realize there is no way to win, so you have to pick the most valuable items in your tents that are not too heavy (matchbox, hunting knife), and leave.

I don't even know what the thermometer is for, I never suffered from heat or cold. Heat and cold could help bringing people together, to work as a team.

Edited by shanewalsh
  • Like 1

Okay, so a small summary, say if you disagree

I disagree.

Not every zed should have the same attributes, just as not every person can run at the same speed.

You definitely shouldn't be able to just outrun all of the infected, that's the single biggest downfall of them currently.

Whatever the case, there should be some sort of variety. I'm not talking about having the odd "super zed" or "Boss Zombies", I mean there should be some factor to them that stops the whole situation from being entirely predictable and easily escapable.

My counter-summary -

The fast zombies should be able to run
at least
as fast as you can. (I think the fastest ones should outrun survivors)

The biggest hordes should be made up mostly of Zeds which are slightly slower than players, but there should be a LOT of them. (with a couple of fast ones for added OMFG)

The slowest zombies should be harder to kill and way more likely to give you an infection by biting you.

All these stages of zombification should be able to appear in "walker" "monkey" and "crawler" flavours.

There could be dogs too =p. And dogs are definitely faster than humans.

Zombie animals is the worst idea ever, in my opinion. I never liked them in Resident Evil either.