blueparrot1966

Can't run Day Z, constantly freezing up

Even with Gamebooster turning off services, my graphics card control set to maximum performance/minimum quality, and the in game graphics to their "very low" settings, Day Z runs for a few seconds, then slows into a speed that is literally "seconds per frame" instead of "frames per second". (Oddly, if I exit the program and then go back in, I get the "recieving" screen, and buy myself just a few more seconds of normal speed.)

My computer's about 2 years old, not state of the art, but it's perfectly respectable, especially for a 2-3 year old game like ARMA. I've run Fallout 3 and Skyrim for dozens of hours at very high graphics settings, no problem.

Here's my system-

Alienware M17 laptop

Intel Dual Core 2.6 GHz

4 Ghz DDR2 ram

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3870 x2

Here's what I've tried

Reloading Arma II and OA

Ensuring the latest beta patch is installed

Running ARMA II OA "vanilla" (problem persists, it's not just a Day z thing)

Defragging my hard drive

re-verifying the file integrity with Steam

using every startup parameter that seems like it might help. Currently, I've tried the following, in different combinations and all at once-

-winxp,

-maxmem=2047,

-maxVRAM=2047,

-CPUcount=2,

-exthreads=2

I've cleaned out my computer's fan vents, etc. I know of no @#$! reason why my machine should not be able to run this program. But at this point, I've already spent so much time futzing with it, it's gonna hurt my pride if I can't get it working. Anyone out there have a suggestion?

Anyone out there have a suggestion?

build a new pc alienware is shit

Yeah.. this may not help. Actually, I think it won't but I'll say it anyway.

Set all setting on the lowest option, and your 3d resolution and screen resolution on lowest as well.

If this doesn't help, try drivers for your graphic card to make sure it's up to date.

If THAT does not help... well... sorry mate, get new rig. Something that ain't a laptop.

I've tried those things, but thanks for throwing it out there. This is a desktop replacement laptop that I've been using for a couple of years. It's really quite good, I've rarely had reason to notice that it IS a laptop and not a desktop. I notice it when I'm carrying it through an airport, it weighs a freak'in ton...

Anyway, yeah, I've been playing current, high end games with the graphics dialed up. If not at top notch, certainly respectable. I don't know of any reason why my machine should'nt be able to handle ARMA II.

My problem is that ever since the rolling beta came out, whenever I get remotely near a town I get massive freezes. It seems like instead of loading objects like houses on the go, it tries to do it all at once and ends up crapping itself. When I launched the normal 1.60 via Steam it didn't do that. With the beta however it pretty much renders any city exploration impossible.

I think it might have something to do with one of these:

[93652] New: Scripting functions visiblePositionASL and nearestBuilding position

[93648] New: Scripting functions ASLToATL and ATLToASL to convert between coordinate systems.

My problem is that ever since the rolling beta came out' date=' whenever I get remotely near a town I get massive freezes. It seems like instead of loading objects like houses on the go, it tries to do it all at once and ends up crapping itself. When I launched the normal 1.60 via Steam it didn't do that. With the beta however it pretty much renders any city exploration impossible.

I think it might have something to do with one of these:

[93652'] New: Scripting functions visiblePositionASL and nearestBuilding position

[93648] New: Scripting functions ASLToATL and ATLToASL to convert between coordinate systems.

Could be, I guess. It definitely gets worse as I'm approaching zombies, buildings, etc. As for my graphics card, well, Sentinel might be on to something, because I HAVE played Day Z for hours at a time with no significant hiccups. Then, this last week, it's gone to Hell no matter what I do.

Sure, my card is behind the curve, but like I said before, so is Arma II, and I can run graphics intensive stuff like Fallout NV and Skyrim on pretty high settings, no problem. Between "time to get a new gfx card" and "maybe the latest build is hosing me", I suspect the latter.

I have had freezing problem too for 4 weeks now (Been also "spamming" it in here). I also have tried almost everything to get it work. For me freeze happens about 5 min in game with very high settings and on low it works much longer. But I have High-End gaming PC so its bullshit to play it on low! It is not exactly the same problem for me the whole PC freezes. And I am sure that it is not your computers problem if everything else works. I really wish I could help! Next I probably try reinstalling Windows and/or try another GPU if I can.