Sign in to follow this  
skippythrmoontock

Boomerang Sniper Detection System?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boomerang_(countermeasure)

The Boomerang was developed as a countermeasure to detect the direction a sniper was firing from, and i thought it could be implemented in Standalone as a Rare Military Drop. (In current version, i would have it spawn in the Barracks, same rarity as a GPS maybe?) When equipped, if it "hears" a shot, it gives the snipers direction in degrees from the direction the shooter is currently facing, and the distance. People will probably say that it would be useless because snipers usually kill you, but in the event of a miss, you could hunt the sniper down and shoot him. And its his fault, he missed, he's a bad sniper.

• Like 1

You wouldn't even need a boomerang, you could have an alternative. Maybe like an earpiece that tells you the direction that noise is coming from?

I just feel that would be less awkward and more usable.

Hello there

Whilst in Arma I'd love to see the Boomerang system I don't know if it would suit DAYZ.

Most folk encountering it in real life most likely wouldn't a) know what it is b)be able to equip/assemble it c)operate it. (supposition).

For eg how many folk would know how to field strip a firearm? Most folk get their gun handling skills from the movies and 99pc of the time they're utterly incorrect. I just think "advanced" systems like this are just one step too far out of the "feel" of the Zombie apocalypse.

I'd still like it in arma though :)

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

Well Characters also know how to pick up, load, and zero a sniper rifle, and also are able to use a military grade rangefinder. and fly a Huey. and set up tank traps. and how to give a blood transfusion. Just saying, strapping a box to your shoulder would be far more user friendly than anything else.

Well Characters also know how to pick up, load, and zero a sniper rifle, and also are able to use a military grade rangefinder. and fly a Huey. and set up tank traps. and how to give a blood transfusion. Just saying, strapping a box to your shoulder would be far more user friendly than anything else.

When put that way, I can see what you mean.

Perhaps something similar will be around in standalone, but after rethinking, I'm gonna go with orlok and say it suits ArmA better than DayZ. Nice suggestion anyway. :)

I really enjoy reading about tech like that lol, not sure if it suits DayZ but I see where you're coming from with the suggestion.

And although you see the unrealism behind that, you don't try to minimize those things. Instead you come up with even more military tech gear. I'd like to see this on in DayZ:

http://www.collectio...-4/PB044575.jpg

Edited by Fuenke

Cause you would find/want to use that in a zombie apocalypse

Cause you would find/want to use that in a zombie apocalypse

well i have a boomerang from australia, never even pay attention to it, but i guess its useful now

if you have half decent headphones or even a basic 3:1/5:1/7:1 speaker set up it is pretty easy to tell roughly which direction a shot (especially from a high powered sniper rifle) has come from.

I actually have more success locating snipers using information primarily from my ears rather than through my eyes, the sound always betrays a general direction to focus on and then I usually spot them, or at least narrow it down to a couple of likely positions. That's assuming they missed me of course.

Edited by Rastamaus

And although you see the unrealism behind that, you don't try to minimize those things. Instead you come up with even more military tech gear. I'd like to see this on in DayZ:

http://www.collectio...-4/PB044575.jpg

Naw. We need suits like these.

You are correct though. The last thing DayZ needs is more high tech gadgets. Plus, I'm fairly sure that they're going to be reducing the amount of high powered military rifles, both in spawn rates and variety. So we shouldn't need this at all.

Edited by Riem

Hello there

The uberness of the char skills in dayz is one of the most irritating things for me in dayz, it's amazing my toon can repair and fly a helo, without a major workshop/tooling and training. So, i'm not defending those mechanics.

Lastly, equipment like boomerang systems would be damn damn rare even on many mil bases.

rgds

LoK

Spend the money on a good headset with surround sound and you'll have practically the same thing.

• Like 1

no pvp gear, not only high level gear will be dumbed down and more rare, we should not focus on pvp. theres enough killing already, giving us tools to fight pvp itself is the best way

I dont like it too much. there is too much tech involved for a zombie appocalypse; however, this did give me an idea, im sure its been said, but in a simmilar measure to spotting snipers there should be a scope glint just like you can find in real life.

• Like 1

because we're all going to be running around with one when the world ends

I have a boomerang, when I throw it is it going to fly out and hit a sniper in the face so I can tell where he is, with the small bonus of it coming back to me, and also striking the offensive gunman for some minor bruising?