Ranger79

Official disconnect thread

So getting off my particular views for a moment how do you differentiate between a crash and an intentional disconnect.

Having a 30 second ghost player isn't a bad idea but I could see it becoming a frustration especially seeing how long it takes for the game to log in (many a person has been shot while logging in which I think is BS).

So getting off my particular views for a moment how do you differentiate between a crash and an intentional disconnect.

You don't.

Having a delay before your person leaves the server is likely the best it's going to get. If you aren't killed in those seconds your character is saved as normal.

Crashes happen but how often, really?

Every few hours or so on aussie servers. Just makes it plain awkward for people who lose connection in a town only to be eaten alive before they have even logged back in.

(Log off should be this)

Prepare swag - takes 30 seconds or so ect.

Go to sleep

(Log on)

Wake up

Didn't place a swag - you have to lay there for a minute to wake up after a shitty sleep because you didn't prepare your swag.

I don't think your character should ever remain in game but instead have a punishment for not preparing for a D/C. Simply for the reason that you could get D/C at any time for reasons that are out of your control.

Actually it ruins "your" game I couldn't care less that you missed out on shooting someone for their beans. If you want to go head to head with a player go play project reality.

And no I don't even go near players so go take your assumptions else ware.

No it ruins the mod... based on your attitude and the way you are presenting yourself through text' date=' I take it you are one of the care-bears who oppose PVP and disconnect as well.

[/quote']

If i got a euro for every time you said carebear I'd be rich lol

Actually you'd have 2 Euro's ;) lol

I know this happens alot' date=' but we caught Taldek on tape disconnecting when he got shot at, don't know if anything can be done. First I thought it was Ghost, but he disconnected due to high ping. The slap is at the end of the video (10:52)disconnecting:

EU10 Server, tonight.

[/quote']

Great video and you two guys sound like you would be fun to group with as you not only have good banter but play the game as it should be played.

For me, the game should detect when both alt+f4 are pressed and instantly make the character dance for 30 seconds - whilst a small light show goes off - to the tune of "It's raining men."

Thanks for the kind words, always looking for survivors to explore with.

Solution to Alt-F4 garbage. Since this is basically an MMO why don't we just adopt what MMO's do.

Expendable' pid='11755' dateline='1336441942']

When you initiate PVP' date=' it will flag you as fighting. When you are fighing you cannot log out, and if you crash your game on purpose, your character will remain ingame for a minute or two, helpless.

[/quote']

It's as simple as that. Since the game already detects whether or not you have fired/been fired upon it's as simple as making it so you can't disconnect or keeps your body there if you do.

Solution to Alt-F4 garbage. Since this is basically an MMO why don't we just adopt what MMO's do.

When you initiate PVP' date=' it will flag you as fighting. When you are fighing you cannot log out, and if you crash your game on purpose, your character will remain ingame for a minute or two, helpless.

[/quote']

It's as simple as that. Since the game already detects whether or not you have fired/been fired upon it's as simple as making it so you can't disconnect or keeps your body there if you do.

The problem is is that it's not always about getting shot... This tactic/exploit has been used to avoid zombie hordes too.

[/quote']

The problem is is that it's not always about getting shot... This tactic/exploit has been used to avoid zombie hordes too.

Then I guess something can be added so that if you are in a certain radius of zombies it will do the same thing. As of right now that would work because outrunning a zombie is a little difficult.

So.... He avoided death or simply avoided you looting him?

And is this against the rules?

Might be worth having some kind of server rules section so people understand that it's an illegal practice. If this is illegal, a proper logout system really needs to be installed as claiming someone d/ced intentionally is always going to be spurious unless there I explicit footage of the offender. Similarly, it might also be good to have some kind of survivor etiquette section to go along with the rules as this type of stuff is in a very grey area (as in, hard to enforce and hard to punish suitably and hard to prove).

I say this because on restarting the patch I was put in the debug zone with fifteen other players (mostly dead) while a bandit lined me up at point blank with an AKM. I d/ced immediately, which would give him grounds to complain and have me punished despite the reality of the situation (us brought together like lovers by the debug god when otherwise I'd be miles and miles away from him.)

It is most certainly against the rules.

Back when I use to play RuneScape' date=' players use to do this very frequently when their HP was low and were afraid of losing their items. BUT, even if they closed their internet browser, the game sensed that they were still in a battle and didn't logout their account. Instead, the account went into idol mode and let the other player finish attacking. Only after 15 seconds of not engaging in battle would their account automatically logout successfully (and by that point, they would've been dead already).

DayZ should adapt a similar system.

[hr']

Also..... If this is against the rules, then is it also against the rules to log-out and avoid death when a herd of zombies are chasing you down and you have literally no possible way of defending yourself?

Yes, it is against the rules and there is no excuse for doing it. This game is about survival and trying to last as long as possible with the one character. Getting chased by a pack of zeds is part of the game if you have either alerted them, shot at them or had them set on you. D/C'ing to "cheat death" is very heavily frowned upon and for good reason.

It is just a game, you will die at some point. Why get so upset at how you die? I have been chomped n by zeds once or twice and not once did it cross my mind to dc. I just facepalmed and restarted - oh, and laughed.

Would be nice to have an MMO style exit, where when a player elects to D/C the game starts a timer of 20 seconds or so. This means that they can't just drop the connection, it also means that should they be attacked during this 20 seconds, they can cancel the exit and deal with the situation.

Another idea is to keep a character spawned on the server for 20 seconds after someone D/Cs, meaning that they can't run mid-fight.

The first idea could probably be bipassed by killing the game process, but perhaps if it were combined with the second idea, then there'd be no escaping.

As for MR DELICIOUS' problem, I'd say that's just a genuine bug that needs fixing.

I think this dc'ing issue is too uncontrollable for all parties involved to be something that should be punished...

What if you're on your way out of the game anyway and hear gunshots, but don't know if the shooter knows you're there or is even aiming at you, and you use that as an excuse to log out 30 seconds earlier than you otherwise would? I ask, because that happened to me the other day. The bullet sounded a fair ways off, but for all I know it could've been someone scoped on me with a sniper rifle. Was I in the wrong? My IRL ass was getting too sweaty to keep going, and my comrades had logged out 2 minutes previous, I wasn't sticking around anyway. Should I have stayed to see if someone was looking for a fight? I don't think so...

It's almost like the ol' "when does life start" argument, only it's "when does life end". Is it when the shooter engages his target, when the first bullet leaves the barrel, when the last bullet hits the target, or when the victim finally bleeds out? It's all too ambiguous, and I think needs an eloquent and simple solution that's reasonably fair to all parties. I don't know what that solution is. I suppose roskelld's 20 second dc timer suggestion is probably the most reasonable option put forth so far, but it'll still allow some dc'ers to slip through, and some innocents to wind up getting smacked by the door on their way out.

Blaaaaaaang: (Sorry if I've gotten the wrong amount of a's there :p)

If when you DC'd you became AFK for a few moments (say, 20 seconds), then you wouldn't be in any danger. Someone who had DC'd in the middle of a firefight would have been.

Yeah, it would be nice if your character remained in the server for at least ~5 seconds after you have logged out to prevent the DC abuse. I really don't think it should take any longer to be honest, as that would likely leave too much room for annoying deaths.

I say this because on restarting the patch I was put in the debug zone with fifteen other players (mostly dead) while a bandit lined me up at point blank with an AKM. I d/ced immediately' date=' which would give him grounds to complain and have me punished despite the reality of the situation (us brought together like lovers by the debug god when otherwise I'd be miles and miles away from him.)

[/quote']

In this case it was definitely okay to log out to prevent death in my opinion, as you shouldn't have spawned there in the first place.

What I think is worse is that you have recorded this and tried to get someone banned for it. You deserve a ban more than he does.

How do you know his internet didn't cut off or something like that?

Please don't turn this community into minecraft where kids actively search for people to dob into the server admins.

What I think is worse is that you have recorded this and tried to get someone banned for it. You deserve a ban more than he does.

How do you know his internet didn't cut off or something like that?

Please don't turn this community into minecraft where kids actively search for people to dob into the server admins.

THIS.

We don't know the exact circumstances.

If we start banning everyone on suspicion a lot of innocent people will pay for the stupidity of a few.

Just make a 15 second logout timer. Problem solved.

Cant wait for this to be fixed. Quick-disconnects are scum of the earth...especially if they initiate the fight.

If I was server admin id ban on sight.

Banning users for breaking rules feels a bit unfair considering the rules aren't found in game and not all users are members of this forum.