Sign in to follow this  
crazykid1297

Will DayZ staff be keeping their hosting rules for standalone?

When standalone comes out, will the hosting rules be altered, will they be the same, or will they be removed?

The current rules make it so that essentially, you are not paying for a server you own. You pay for it, yet, you can get your server rendered useless should you not follow the hosting rules. Which really makes no sense. It's like being told how to spend your money.

In my view, the hosting rules should be flexible. People don't want to have too many restrictions. It's obvious because lots of people have created private hives (which used to be against the rules too) just so they could have total control over their server.

If any DayZ staff can clarify with me on this topic, that would be greatly appreciated.

And if anyone thinks that they agree with any part of this, let me know.

Private hive ftw...i hope they add a tool. Admins need less restrictions than the players imo. It's like ignoring a red light repeatedly in front of the cops and they can't do anything about it.

I hope they add both.

Official servers with rules and unofficial servers with private hives.

Only private hives should be able to be whitelisted or passworded.

When standalone comes out, will the hosting rules be altered, will they be the same, or will they be removed?

The current rules make it so that essentially, you are not paying for a server you own. You pay for it, yet, you can get your server rendered useless should you not follow the hosting rules. Which really makes no sense. It's like being told how to spend your money.

In my view, the hosting rules should be flexible. People don't want to have too many restrictions. It's obvious because lots of people have created private hives (which used to be against the rules too) just so they could have total control over their server.

If any DayZ staff can clarify with me on this topic, that would be greatly appreciated.

And if anyone thinks that they agree with any part of this, let me know.

There are A LOT of misconceptions about the "rules".

What specific rules are you referring to?

I will say this though... No one is telling anyone how to spend their money. The official Hive is an (EOL) service. To play DayZ, you do not need to use this service, and even if you did, it's still a service that you aren't paying for (there is no valid argument that starts with 'but I am paying for it since I have to pay for a server...'). No one is forcing anyone to use the public Hive.

Again, though, there are a ton of misconceptions about the rules, so what specifically are you referring to?

***PLEASE NOTE I AM NOT INVOLVED IN THE STANDALONE IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM. ANYTHING I SAY IS DIRECTLY REFERRING TO THE CURRENT EOL PUBLIC HIVE***

From what I have heard from some BIS employees the standalone will not allow private server hosting.

They said 'this is not a guarantee, but my understanding is...'

It would make more sense for the DayZ team to be in charge of the servers, a lot of the hacking problems originate from abusive server hosts. There really is no way to keep the hive secure when anyone is allowed to write to it. This is unfortunate, no doubt, but fully understandable. Perhaps they will have an 'official' server system that they are in control of and release the server software that allows for 'unofficial' servers - like many FPS'es out there.

There are A LOT of misconceptions about the "rules".

What specific rules are you referring to?

I will say this though... No one is telling anyone how to spend their money. The official Hive is an (EOL) service. To play DayZ, you do not need to use this service, and even if you did, it's still a service that you aren't paying for (there is no valid argument that starts with 'but I am paying for it since I have to pay for a server...'). No one is forcing anyone to use the public Hive.

Again, though, there are a ton of misconceptions about the rules, so what specifically are you referring to?

***PLEASE NOTE I AM NOT INVOLVED IN THE STANDALONE IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM. ANYTHING I SAY IS DIRECTLY REFERRING TO THE CURRENT EOL PUBLIC HIVE***

Though no one is forced to use the public hive, the public hive is one of the main points of playing DayZ, so to not use it would take away a large part of the experience.

Say that a server gets blacklisted, you paid for a server which you can basically no longer use.

I'm mainly referring to rules 10 and 14. The other hosting rules are A-OK to follow in my view.

Rule 10 states that if you see somebody using scripts, but you cannot prove it with logs, you cannot ban them or even kick them. That makes absolutely no sense. So what if this is prone to abuse? A hacker can hop on your server, use scripts, and go undetected in the logs (as this is clearly been done before by many hackers and scripters). And you can't back it up if he really hacked or not.

All server admins should be allowed to kick and ban scripters on sight without having to worry about being incriminated or having their server rendered useless. If people really truly abuse their rights to ban, they'll show it, and people won't be happy and they'll speak up.

I however do agree with the rest of rule 10 being

You are not permitted to ban players for killing yourself or clan members.

You are not permitted to shutdown your server when your killed.

You are not permitted to shutdown your server when you lose a vehicle.

You are not permitted to kick or ban for smacktalk.

Those are all really good rules and should stay. If anyone doesn't follow those, they need a private hive.

Rule 14 states PVP is enabled at all times no matter what rpg element the admin tries to set. I believe I speak for a lot of players who think that PVP should be optional!

I believe strongly that servers should be able to control this aspect as lots of people really find it rather boring getting killed every 10 minutes by other players, and that they would rather play on a server where PVP is controlled at a basic level. No Random Deathmatching, etc. That can include not killing freshly spawned players, even. This is all part of the general idea.

And this same concept does work on many multiplayer games, it could work here too.

Edited by crazykid1297

From what I have heard from some BIS employees the standalone will not allow private server hosting.

They said 'this is not a guarantee, but my understanding is...'

It would make more sense for the DayZ team to be in charge of the servers, a lot of the hacking problems originate from abusive server hosts. There really is no way to keep the hive secure when anyone is allowed to write to it. This is unfortunate, no doubt, but fully understandable. Perhaps they will have an 'official' server system that they are in control of and release the server software that allows for 'unofficial' servers - like many FPS'es out there.

The mission should not be accessible to anyone so nobody can change it and we always have "official" missions or else chaos like with a server hoster i will not mention will happen. The DayZ staff and professional server hosters should cooperate and should have people rent official servers bound to the official hive for fair a amount money and have them enforce the rules or have a staff of admins that do the job. They should not give any mission data away ( you can lock scripts so they are not permanently downloaded to the client ), at least not for a year.

Edited by Enforcer

This bit is Total BS: "You are not permitted to kick or ban for smacktalk."

If I pay for the server and you start giving me abuse you can STFU or GTFO simple as.

some of the hosting rules are absolute BS which is one of the many reasons Private hive came to be so popular, like some dick who thinks its fine to watch for new servers and join with all the gear required to fix the brand new servers Heli and basically troll the admins and the teams who play legit on that server.

• Like 2