Sign in to follow this  
bluerising

Clothing System ("stat" affected; for standalone)

One thing I immediately thought of while playing Day Z back in June was customization. Not just aesthetic, but customization that affects your character. I know almost everyone has suggested a character customization mechanic or a clothing mechanic, but all they want is aesthetic. I really think a "stat" based clothing system would work well for a game like Day Z, especially with the mindset of scavenging whatever you can and surviving. Keep in my when I say "stat" system I don't mean "4 stamina; 5 strength" RPG malarky, but advantages and disadvantages that affect your character's base speed, noise-making, etc.

For example: Let's say you start off with a character with flip flops on: it's loud, it's annoying, and it's not very optimal for running. Well, you might not want to have those on because clearly all it gives you is a lot of disadvantages. Later you come across a pair of running shoes and equip them. Now your footsteps make less sound than the flip flops and plus you run a lot better on hard ground like concrete or pavement. While you can run a lot better, you're having trouble sprinting off road due to your shoes being designed for hard, smooth surfaces. What could you do to make traversing earth more efficient? What if you stumbled across a pair of cleats? Your running abilities on natural ground would be increased greatly, especially if it's raining compared to regular shoes, and it would be pretty silent for a pair of shoes... on natural ground. If you were using these cleats on manmade surfaces your movement, even your footsteps would be ridiculously loud, not to mention running on hard, smooth surfaces with cleats on is very difficult.

Do you kind of get what I'm saying now? The clothing system doesn't affect "your character" as much as it affects your character's interaction with the world. I think it would really add a good element of choice and and decision making on what to use which games really lack nowadays because of differences only being numbers rather than effects.

You can really take this idea anywhere and apply it to nearly anything. Raincoat? You're less susceptible to the cold or rain, but it'll make it harder to maneuver. Hoodie? You're less susceptible to the cold and you can maneuver better than a raincoat, but you're more susceptible to the rain. Plain ole' shirt? You have max maneuverability, but you're highly susceptible to the cold and rain.

Like I said, you can do almost anything with this if you really put some time into trying to think of interesting new ways for clothes to affect how the player interacts with the environment.

Also, I think the game would benefit if the "storage" system fit this clothing system too: fanny packs have minimal storage with very high mobility, satchels have low storage with fast mobility, small backpacks have medium storage with medium mobility, etc.. I do think rarity should still play a role with these storage items (more storage, same mobility for it's "class"), though.

All of this is still in it's concept stage, but I think after it's more fleshed out, it would be a good addition to Day Z standalone.

Edited by bluerising
  • Like 2

flip flops on: it's loud, it's annoying

And i stopped reading there.

i mean seriously you find thongs annoying?

• Like 2

Interesting idea, not sure I'd want it implemented THO. seems like once someone found a way to min/max it everyone would be the same. (Minimum negative effects/Maximum concealment per say) Could be interesting tho so I won't trash your idea.

The implementation of the 'warm clothes' in Namalsk is a step in the direction that you're wanting to take. It really just depends on the environment of the new chernarus map, and whether or not it may include different climates. (Although I doubt it will)

Diffrent clothes will have an advantage and a disadvantage. This way it will be more diverse.

-run faster but you make more noise

-warmer clothes but you move more slow

you get where im going?

It actually makes alot of sense. Heres a point that everyone will agree;

Civilian Clothing > Easy to spot in a forest when running by.

Ghillie Suit > Blends with the nature, sometimes you run past em if your not paying attention.

Point is, he has a good point. Shoes would make an excellent installment in the game, making more of a challenge when going inside a town, or even a forest.

Rocket has already said he'd like the idea of 'useful' clothing like rain coats, but they might have the disadvantage that they're easier to spot becasue it's a shiny organge and stuff like that. I don't think different colthing should affect your movement, it's really just minimal and you barely notice that.

Rocket has already said he'd like the idea of 'useful' clothing like rain coats, but they might have the disadvantage that they're easier to spot becasue it's a shiny organge and stuff like that. I don't think different colthing should affect your movement, it's really just minimal and you barely notice that.

This.

Interesting idea, not sure I'd want it implemented THO. seems like once someone found a way to min/max it everyone would be the same. (Minimum negative effects/Maximum concealment per say) Could be interesting tho so I won't trash your idea.

I'm not talking about a literal stat system, just a pro/con, advantage/disadvantage system that would force you to strategically pick what you want to bring with you and use.

I think it would add a really neat element at the game while still giving some visible customization options for the players.

It would add more depth and meta to the game and also would stimulate and diversify the loot.

Edited by bluerising

i think it has more to do with gear, inventory and identification, although some clothes are design for some stuff, a jump suit for hard work, a camo for military stuff, and it goes, and by putting a weight into the clothes, like 0.1 for a shirt, or 0.3 for an empty bag( you carry the bag, but it doesnt stop it from being something you wear), so if you get your clothing for looting with lots of pockets, maybe players would identitfy you as a more friendly player, but also an easy target. The best thing about clothing is that people will still judge you who you are depending on what you are wearing, even if the world has gone to shit. I agree with you, but no stats, but clothing must help you in a way that it will tell what type of player you are, a looter, a medic, a builder, a fixer, a hunter. Varied clothing that helps you in inventory for your daily needs and ambitions