Sign in to follow this  
Silentreaper127

Gunsmithing?

i know its a little too early to make suggestions like this but i want to share this and see if anyone likes this and also from a few interviews i have seen the dev's want to implement more real world skills in the game, like using the stars to navigate without a compass, to add to the realism of the game.

Gunsmithing isn't building your own gun necessarily , but I'm talking about modifying guns like making a barrel shorter or putting a scope that you may have found at a military base or someplace like that.

• repairing and cleaning guns could be included as well to add to the realism.
  • for example, you could possibly make a gun which didnt have a magazine and modify it to have one if you had the real world knowledge to do so.

• I think you could also reload your spent shells and be able to modify the ammo.(hollow points or armor peirceing rounds for example.
  • of course you could just reload the rounds without any modifications.

I know this wouldn't be something you could do on the fly, but you could implement this with the bases that the dev's have been talking about.

Now where would we find the equipment to reload ammo and modify weapons? well you could probaly find the reloading equipment at a military building or a industrial building. You could probably find a hacksaw in a industrial building or it could be included with the toolbox.

Thats all i could think of right now... So please give suggestions and critize my post constructively (not just saying bad idea without a good reason please)

I like the idea,

make worn and rusty weapons that has not been cleaned the possibility to "click"/fail in action that may cost you your life.

You should ad the idea that went you have a 2 magazine haft-full you can remove and ad the bullet into one magazine saving place in the inventory (and it suck went you have 5 M9 mag with only 2 bullet each...)

(sorry for my bad english)

Except for the first you would need a lot of insider knowledge to do the rest.

Seconds is needs great knowledge in gunworks.

Third is usefull if you knew how to do it, just filling the shell with propellant, change the primer and put the projectile on top won't do. You could destroy your gun and how would the game know if you know how to recharge ammo? Not really something for mass production. Armor piercing bullets against who? ....again some pvp thoughts.

Fourth is often done by hunters, also not really something for mass production.

Edited by Enforcer

hi there,

totally like the idea. here are my suggestions for gun smithing.

• combining half spent magazines
  • interchangeable gun sights (find an AK with iron-sight find a cobra holo-sight, use a gun tool to fit the sight to the gun. you now have an ak with cobra sight)
  • gun mods. like: rails, combat torches, laser pointers, suppressors, assorted gun stocks, combined mags (2 mags end to end for quick change over can be made with 2 full mags), silencers and more
  • bandage packs (take 2 aux slotts but holds 3 bandages, medical bags (same as bandage packs, takes 2 primary slots can store 3 medical items)
  • new clothing options like thermal shielded Armour, heavy duty combat gear to combat temperature drops in cold climates, flack jackets, Armour vests and helmets
  • wrecked guns (can be salvaged for spare parts)
  • STACK ABLE BOLTS or a pack to store them as active ammo, maybe 20 bolts per pack carried
  • different mele-weapon options, swords,

thats the list of things i would like to see in DAY-Z the standalone game

EHRMAHGERD YEWSE DA SEERCH(jkjk, search engine nazis piss me off :))

Otherwise, sounds good :D

I Like the idea. with that said, ive seen multiple posts with these sugestions. These incude mine, i dont know if mine were the first or whose was but this is all old ideas. thanks anyways and stay active.

You should ad the idea that went you have a 2 magazine haft-full you can remove and ad the bullet into one magazine saving place in the inventory (and it suck went you have 5 M9 mag with only 2 bullet each...)

(sorry for my bad english)

I have heard from different articles and such that Rocket is planning to make it to where you carry rounds and fill up the magazines and have that influence trading and such.

Except for the first you would need a lot of insider knowledge to do the rest.

Seconds is needs great knowledge in gunworks.

Third is usefull if you knew how to do it, just filling the shell with propellant, change the primer and put the projectile on top won't do. You could destroy your gun and how would the game know if you know how to recharge ammo? Not really something for mass production. Armor piercing bullets against who? ....again some pvp thoughts.

Fourth is often done by hunters, also not really something for mass production.

Ok im going to assume that "Seconds" is modifying guns to have a magazine.

• I was just putting a example but you can modify some guns to have a larger mag or for some to take a mag it would just take looking it up and learning it and not being easy for people to do. Cause i dont want to see new spawns being able to find the equipment and make a shotty with alot more ammo(like 16 shells).

For the third thing which is the reloading part im assumming:

• He can put it in the game and if you know how to do it then you can. by that i mean if you know how to control the machine and the order to put the gunpowder and such in the shells then it will let you. I've helped my fathers freinds reload spent shells and its not too hard to learn to do.
  • Armor peirceing for vehicles to make it easier to disable them without a as-50 but with a smaller rifle.
  • and you could also look up and try to learn how hollow points are make and make molds for them. This would go with underground bases and you possibly finding ores or just scrapping vehicles for metal. ]
  • And in real life you could find a box of empty shotgun shells or shells on the floor and if you could reload them then they wouldn't be just junk.

Im not talking about doing mass production for reloading ammo im talking about reloading about 4-6 mags worth of ammo which with a 20 round mag would be 80-120 rounds, but even with a 30 round mag I don't think it should be a stop by your base for 5 minutes and emerge with 20 mags filled with standard or modified rounds, Im talking about being there for 30 minutes to a hour reloading ammo .

• This would also encourage going to your base more often than for dropping off loot or getting supplies.

Realistically do you use more than 6 magazines per loot run in a couple towns or a military base? :)

And like you said there is a possibility of messing up your gun but that adds to the need to know the proper way and not just half assing it to where you may have double the amount of rounds in half the time then if you reloaded them properly but you would have double the amount of duds and rounds that can reduce accuracy and blowing up in your face, so it adds to more chance but reloading your ammo is just so you dont go into a gunfight with a AKM as a club. :D

Edited by Silentreaper127

Put a CLP like Froglube (not just because I sell it) into the game but because you need something to keep the rust and carbon gunk from clogging up your gas tube or chamber.