TGH

What do we expect from DayZ Standalone?

DayZ started off as a mod released for ARMA 2 and has since hugely grew in popularity to over 1 million players. Since it was originally just a mod it has some draw backs/problems from the ARMA 2 engine since it was not designed for this type of gameplay, because of this a standalone version of the game is being developed and is due to be released quite soon.

This is a video explaining my thoughts and ideas on the improvements they could make to the game and make it more fun and add a little customisation. Some of these I think are needed additions whilst some are minor adjustments which would still help distinguish the game from others and also the competitors.

• Like 5

I expect to be able to scavenge through towns and fields without the fear of being teleported into the sky or instagibbed.

I expect to be forced to scavenge for weapons, food and drink, instead of finding it all in a massive group of tents in the middle of a popularly used town, after a hacker got bored of spawning things.

I expect to have a god damn lot more fun.

I expect to be genuinely scared when I hear a zombie screeching as it runs to me, instead of outrunning it all of the time, every time, without being touched.

I expect to get endgame gear eventually, and not be bored or too scared to do anything out of fear of losing it. Better gear should mean better chance of survival.

I expect to come across moments that'll stay with me throughout the rest of my gaming DayZ.

I expect other players to be more willing to play with other people, because there's safety in numbers.

I expect to play with a higher FPS because the game will actually be optimized instead of standing on half of one leg.

:)

Edit: Some people want new features. I just want the game to WORK.

Edited by Gashed

I like your ideas Mr TGH, especialy the one's with the random zombie hoardes, the melee part and making most buildings enterable.

I do not dislike any of your suggestions at all, i'll say the same thing i said in another topic (i think you made that one as well).

There needs to be a quiver for bolts and arrows (if bows are put into the standalone) And there also needs to be some kind of poison coating that you can find or make, to put on your projectiles.

High end gear such as AS-50's, L85's with thermal and other extremely high powered weaponry needs to become much MUCH rarer, if not removed entirely.

Hunting rifles, pistols and shotguns i can understand, hell even molotov cocktails.. But not anti-tank weaponry.

Despite the fact that most military bases in the world has some great weaponry, i highly doubt that they would have their things open to the public.

A suggestion I forgot to add in another post i made was to perhaps introduce an Armory building at military bases, which would be locked and contain SOME good weapons, but not all of them.

The loot would naturaly be random (like weapon spawns are right now).

And to open the armory door you would have to blast it open (with rare spawned explosives). Or perhaps use a weld to smelt through the door, or some such.

The part where you said you wish vehicles to be more common, but fuel much more rare i sorta agree with.

More interesting / dangerous wildlife i can also agree on. Seeing as, if high end military gear is made more rare (snipers for example) then the only thing you'll really have to worry about is to stay in cover.

Bears, wolves, mountain lions, etc.. If you get wounded, and they could track you, you would think twice about just running through a forest.

You'd constantly be stopping and looking around yourself as you hear soft footsteps or see animal prints on the ground and think "maybe i should take my chances with the zombies.."

I'd write more ideas or suggestions, but the last thing i'll say is, I friggin hope the hacker problem will be solved in the standalone.. I REALLY hope it will be.

Edited by Archinos

I like your ideas Mr TGH, especialy the one's with the random zombie hoardes, the melee part and making most buildings enterable.

I do not dislike any of your suggestions at all, i'll say the same thing i said in another topic (i think you made that one as well).

There needs to be a quiver for bolts and arrows (if bows are put into the standalone) And there also needs to be some kind of poison coating that you can find or make, to put on your projectiles.

High end gear such as AS-50's, L85's with thermal and other extremely high powered weaponry needs to become much MUCH rarer, if not removed entirely.

Hunting rifles, pistols and shotguns i can understand, hell even molotov cocktails.. But not anti-tank weaponry.

Despite the fact that most military bases in the world has some great weaponry, i highly doubt that they would have their things open to the public.

A suggestion I forgot to add in another post i made was to perhaps introduce an Armory building at military bases, which would be locked and contain SOME good weapons, but not all of them.

The loot would naturaly be random (like weapon spawns are right now).

And to open the armory door you would have to blast it open (with rare spawned explosives). Or perhaps use a weld to smelt through the door, or some such.

The part where you said you wish vehicles to be more common, but fuel much more rare i sorta agree with.

More interesting / dangerous wildlife i can also agree on. Seeing as, if high end military gear is made more rare (snipers for example) then the only thing you'll really have to worry about is to stay in cover.

Bears, wolves, mountain lions, etc.. If you get wounded, and they could track you, you would think twice about just running through a forest.

You'd constantly be stopping and looking around yourself as you hear soft footsteps or see animal prints on the ground and think "maybe i should take my chances with the zombies.."

I'd write more ideas or suggestions, but the last thing i'll say is, I friggin hope the hacker problem will be solved in the standalone.. I REALLY hope it will be.

Thanks for your comment buddy. Yeah the more dangerous animals such as bears would change the game in many ways, lots of people just escape from cities so they can't get killed by zombies/bandits. More viscious animals that could attack you will make people more scared wherever they go. Great ideas :)

Some of them are confirmed such as enter able buildings and smoother game play They are doing something to the Zombies to make it run smoother :>

I'd just like to point out that it's still based off of a similar/the same engine. There are certain things that the engine is just not made for. Though the points you make are valid, some are just ambitiousgamersyndrome(pathing? OPTIMIZATIONZ OMG CRYSIS HAS BETTAR GRAPHICS(hate to say it, but crysis doesn't have 25km2 of environment being done by the server).

melee weapons are a work in progress, obviously. more would be nice, but having a hotkey to use one would completely change the game. YOU THINK IT WOULDN'T BUT IT WOULD.

also, the buildings/vehicles? you ever play on any custom maps? just sayin'

LET'S MAKE THIS REALISTIC BUT LET'S ALSO MAKE IT MORE LIKE COD.

people being all, 'zomg no endgame' are people who don't know how to have fun and want the game to make all the fun for them. so what, you want a fucking gold pony when you've collected all the guns/vehicles you can possibly manage? it's a sandbox.

though, i do like the zombie horde idea. the zombies DO need a lot of improvement, but that is quite the task... especially given the environment. i think it's actually awesome that they work as well as they do, considering everything.

some changes i wanna see are the beefed up UI, and being able to remove parts from vehicles ;D also, it'd be interesting to see more in terms of camp creation, but i also see the douchebaggery that could withhold for dayz.

imo hackers are a rough problem, but it happens in... every game? what's necessary are good admins!

WAY less guns

WAY less ammo

More zombies

No more super running zombies that zig zags, zombies should only walk and when aggroed they should "shamble" at a slight faster rate towards the player.

Less KoS

More emphasis on melee

No more NVG's

Military grade equipment being rare as hell almost un-existant and prone to break down since it's hard to maintain

Some sort of skill system to be able to use/repair vehicles/shoot properly/skin animals

Some sort of stronghold/house/fort we can build and customize, instance probably and only accessible to the player and people he lets.

Better character customization

Finding working vehicles instead of only broken ones

Redone loot system where they don't hang around in piles on the floor

No more "be hit twice by zombies enjoy your broken leg"

Being able to actually go around town fighting your way in instead of having to go prone everywhere

More interiors and zombies in them

Easter eggs

Spooky sound files that get played at random when you are in a town/farm etc. Like maybe a window smashing open, doors creaking, ghostly kids laughter and stuff like that

Mud, clothes should get dirt someway. Seriously this would be awesome.

I think mostly are these. Although I would pay for DayZ as it is right now as long as they gave me good servers, no hacking and a "one button only" Steam installation method.

Edited by Dickhat

maybe you guys should just discover the many mods for dayz :\

We know the mods and some of them are great. That is why we want them in the final product.

We know the mods and some of them are great. That is why we want them in the final product.

or... just allow for dayz to be as open as it currently is and you guys can go play dayz rpg? cool!

I don't exactly agree with the shooting while running at full speed idea, unless you drastically reduce accuracy while doing so.

I don't exactly agree with the shooting while running at full speed idea, unless you drastically reduce accuracy while doing so.

what would be the point? i mean these people all want realism, and the only place that occurs is in hollywood.

Well it technically is possible to shoot and run at full speed, but you sure won't hit a damn thing. :P

DayZ started off as a mod released for ARMA 2 and has since hugely grew in popularity to over 1 million players. Since it was originally just a mod it has some draw backs/problems from the ARMA 2 engine since it was not designed for this type of gameplay, because of this a standalone version of the game is being developed and is due to be released quite soon.

This is a video explaining my thoughts and ideas on the improvements they could make to the game and make it more fun and add a little customisation. Some of these I think are needed additions whilst some are minor adjustments which would still help distinguish the game from others and also the competitors.

Nice suggestions :)

imo hackers are a rough problem, but it happens in... every game? what's necessary are good admins!

I think they're a huge problem. It happens in nearly every game but with DayZ it is even more important to have them banished. Whats the point of playing DayZ getting all this great gear and then getting it lost to a hacker killing the entire server. The perma-death makes getting rid of hackers more important. You're right about good admins, they would help greatly.

Would be cool if dean hall would confirm the changes and the release date so we can look forward to it without speculating :P

Just remember the standalone is going to be released in Alpha, and the features will come out in rolling updates.

Don't rage when the initial release doesn't have everything.

Just remember the standalone is going to be released in Alpha, and the features will come out in rolling updates.

Don't rage when the initial release doesn't have everything.

Yeah I understand that ;) Which is good, allowing everything to be done correctly and to be tested first before making it official.

WAY less guns

WAY less ammo

More zombies

No more super running zombies that zig zags, zombies should only walk and when aggroed they should "shamble" at a slight faster rate towards the player.

Less KoS

More emphasis on melee

No more NVG's

Military grade equipment being rare as hell almost un-existant and prone to break down since it's hard to maintain

Some sort of skill system to be able to use/repair vehicles/shoot properly/skin animals

Some sort of stronghold/house/fort we can build and customize, instance probably and only accessible to the player and people he lets.

Better character customization

Finding working vehicles instead of only broken ones

Redone loot system where they don't hang around in piles on the floor

No more "be hit twice by zombies enjoy your broken leg"

Being able to actually go around town fighting your way in instead of having to go prone everywhere

More interiors and zombies in them

Easter eggs

Spooky sound files that get played at random when you are in a town/farm etc. Like maybe a window smashing open, doors creaking, ghostly kids laughter and stuff like that

Mud, clothes should get dirt someway. Seriously this would be awesome.

I think mostly are these. Although I would pay for DayZ as it is right now as long as they gave me good servers, no hacking and a "one button only" Steam installation method.

Less guns? This is Russia we're talking about here.

Less guns? This is Russia we're talking about here.

Thats true. But surely you wouldn't find the scale of guns you find on DayZ now? Actually IDK much about Russia :(

well, to be fair there are military bases/outposts/whatevers? i mean in those places it's like ONE or two gun(s) on the ground if that. Surely if it's a military barracks it'd have MORE guns than that. You wouldn't be just finding a windshield glass in the warehouses, and an xm1014/g17c in the ATC tower and a couple of heatpacks in the hangars. it's the way it is because... that's the way it is. imo the system is pretty balanced when you rock it on official hive servers. that's why i think most of all dayz should still be a modable 'game' ... considering how many communities have started up around their own custom dayz mods, it'd be pretty slick if standalone were still this way. modability = lifespan. without mods, the game becomes stale after a couple of years and the servers go down. that way everyone can have their own piece of the DayZ pie, and just how they like it.

No to running full speed and shooting...no to jumping. This is not Call of Duty. It is a simulator...nobody runs while firing a gun in real life...not unless you are an idiot. Jumping ends up ruining most games and there really is no need for it.

The rest of the ideas are fine. Good video.

No to running full speed and shooting...no to jumping. This is not Call of Duty. It is a simulator...nobody runs while firing a gun in real life...not unless you are an idiot. Jumping ends up ruining most games and there really is no need for it.

The rest of the ideas are fine. Good video.

Hardly, jumping doesn't ruin any game at all.. Standing for 3-4 seconds just to get over a fence ruins games since it's ridiculous.

Luv the ides man good work but I will agree with the other guys shooting while spinting in the real world is a waste of time.

Jumping is not realy needed but they could change the vaulting to the same as the ace mod where you can run and vault at the same time but I think if they put that in there should be a penalty. Of possibly breaking your leg of injuring your self if u miss judge it.

Finding fruit in trees lol gold man very cool add a twist to it some type of plants could be poison and make you sick for a short time and you start throwing up.

The rest of your ides are cool.

Edited by Nuta