echo38

Setting up a private hive--missing & conflicting information

So there's a stickied official announcement by the developer saying that private hives are okay, but the FAQ still says that in order to host, you must first contact the developer and must be able to host enormous amounts of players, and it must be public and connected to the master database, and must be up 24/7. So, how does this private hive thing really work?

Say I want to host a small private hive--because, currently, there are zero Expert difficulty private Day Z hives (at least which show up on my <= 200-ping server list filter) for the last official release of Arma 2: Combined Operations, and also only one Expert server running the default "DayZ" mission for the current version of A2:CO. In short, there are very few options (exactly one) for those who use the current official version of A2:CO to play Day Z on Expert difficulty, and that one such server that does exist is constantly crashing (server-side, not client-side), losing data, and mass-kicking people for pings which often spike for all players at the same time (i.e. it's the server's connection problem). Well, mass-kicking is an exaggeration, because I've never seen more than five people on the server at once ...

So, I want to host a small private hive--my connection is unable to handle a large number, and I want it to be private because my friends and I are tired of all the script kiddie cheaters. So, is this possible? Is it allowed? Where do I find the files required to host? I know about router configuration, at least for hosting other games, but I need to know the basics for Day Z-specific private hive hosting, such as how to get the mission to host. Can't find any info on this on the forum or wiki.

Edited by A. Darkthorn

The title of your Topic is not wisely chosen if we consider the real question that you ask...

People,,,,,,,,,,this guy needs info on setting up a private hive server...

That was a bump.

Isn't that Bliss thing only one of the options for a private hive host?

Why is there absolutely no information about this on the wiki, nor on any FAQ or sticky threads here? In fact, I cannot find a straight-forward, thorough explanation of how this all works, anywhere, no matter how hard I search. At most, I can find dodgy links to Youtube videos, from back when all the private hosts were slinking around in the shadows, because it was officially disallowed at the time. Some of the downloads suggested on Google searches are looking rather suspicious, and I have no way of knowing which are legitimate mission files and server programs, and which are infected with malware. Again, there is (and I welcome any correction) absolutely no clear & full explanation of this private hosting stuff anywhere on the Day Z site or even the wiki, nor even a half-hearted attempt at such. It's as if everyone thinks that it still needs to be kept hush-hush. : /

Edited by A. Darkthorn

Because Private Hive is not officaly supported by the Dev team, although there is some co-operation between the different parties.

Lôôk http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/93317-private-hive-dayzmod-integration-project/

I play on a server that uses this http://dayzprivate.com/ the base modification remains the same which helps with the balance of the game, it is then up to the server owners to add/use different options available.

I've played on servers that give you Map & Compass, NVG, matches, knife and a whole load of stuff that completely breaks the concept and game balance, imho.

Good luck.

I've examined the information for "Bliss," and the installation & configruation process is hopelessly confusing for me, as well as requiring a large number of third-party software downloads. Are there other options for hosting private servers?

Edited by A. Darkthorn