halueryphi

Alienware M17x R4... Low fps. Why?

Ive got GTX 675m 4GB. And i7 3720QM 2.6ghz 3.4ghz turbo boost..8 cpu and 24GB of ram. And I get 30 fps in cities or when im looking at alot of stuff i guess like a forest on LOWEST GRAPHICS. And like... 25 in cities on highest. And around 40-55ish with highest and lowest in like the middle of nowhere... Maybe only 35-50 on highest. So why is the fps so low? :((( Is it because my laptop is bad?

Edited by halueryphi

People often find that they get a higher FPS with the advanced options on highest as it uses the GPU more and the CPU less. The shadows is a good example of this - very high is almost always faster than high.

Anyways, make sure you have your interface resolution and 3d resolution are set to 100%. Try adjusting the individual options on the advanced graphics settings to see if one is causing the issues. Turning off post processing often helps quite a lot. If you are running it off an external USB 2.0 hard drive, that can reduce the FPS quite a lot as Arma 2 and Dayz are quite hard drive intensive. Make sure you set your video memory to default or the game won't be able to use more than 512MB of it.

Setting

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=3;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=3;

in Arma2OA.cfg in Arma 2 in your documents sometimes helps. You will need to set the file as read only to stop Arma 2 changing them back so change other settings in game first.

Other than trying those, there isn't much you can do. Dayz is just poorly optimised at the moment. The standalone should be considerably better.

Edited by NickMackz

People often find that they get a higher FPS with the advanced options on highest as it uses the GPU more and the CPU less. The shadows is a good example of this - very high is almost always faster than high.

Anyways, make sure you have your interface resolution and 3d resolution are set to 100%. Try adjusting the individual options on the advanced graphics settings to see if one is causing the issues. Turning off post processing often helps quite a lot. If you are running it off an external USB 2.0 hard drive, that can reduce the FPS quite a lot as Arma 2 and Dayz are quite hard drive intensive. Make sure you set your video memory to default or the game won't be able to use more than 512MB of it.

Ahhh... Ok.. I'll definitely try that tomorrow. Thanks :). And I realized that my fps only gets below 60 when theres alot of buildings around me. Like in a town or something. Is that normal?

Ahhh... Ok.. I'll definitely try that tomorrow. Thanks :). And I realized that my fps only gets below 60 when theres alot of buildings around me. Like in a town or something. Is that normal?

Edited my post with some more.

FPS dropping in towns is expected as there is a lot more to render. Zombies alone take 6 GPU passes each at the moment due to the way they are made. Again, this will be improved in the standalone.

Edited my post with some more.

FPS dropping in towns is expected as there is a lot more to render. Zombies alone take 6 GPU passes each at the moment due to the way they are made. Again, this will be improved in the standalone.

Sadly, I don't think that it's DayZ actually 0_O Because it still happens in Arma 2 when i get by alot of buildings and stuff. It's those buildings for some reason I guess... so any suggestions? But thanks so far :D

Sadly, I don't think that it's DayZ actually 0_O Because it still happens in Arma 2 when i get by alot of buildings and stuff. It's those buildings for some reason I guess... so any suggestions? But thanks so far :D

DayZ uses the ArmA 2 engine which is why DayZ and ArmA 2 share the same fate if you have bad hardware or settings.

In your case it should run fine. Just don't set everything to very high ( in fact you don't need to ), the game really needs some fine tuning from the user.

DayZ uses the ArmA 2 engine which is why DayZ and ArmA 2 share the same fate if you have bad hardware or settings.

In your case it should run fine. Just don't set everything to very high ( in fact you don't need to ), the game really needs some fine tuning from the user.

I still get these fps issues by buildings when im on LOW. So I don't really think it's a hardware problem.

I hope the game see's the Nvidia GPU and not the onboard AMD :blush: but 25 fps in built-up areas = concern? Thought a bigger concern would be to wipe towards or away after shitting. :P