arvalap

I'm worried, will standalone be on steam?

+1

... and also employ Ubisoft's drm AND Games for Windows LIVE. :D

Meh, really the only time Steam is good is when they have a sale. Other than that they are usually one of the higher-priced sellers. It seems like many over hype Steam because it's cool to jump on "that" bandwagon. Most were never around back when Steam launched and it was as hated as Origin is today.

Don't take my post wrong. I'm not saying "I'm right and you're wrong". It's just my opinion.

Only good when they have a sale? So all the time then :)

• Like 1

Have they fixed the crippling of power users yet? Last I heard, you can't do jack shit without the new interface (no ability to modify serious settings unless you use metro or whatever they want to call that rubbish now).

Hmm not sure what you mean by Poweruser. Again im an IT Professional working for Layers, Consultants etc. etc. One Software we use you might know is Docuware. You can change Anything relevant in Win8 all Managment Snapins are Stil there some with major Upgrades. Jou can reach them the same way as in Win 7. Ore by just right klicking in the lower left Corner. Again "Metro" is just an Start menu.....

Again the Prob is Nobody tested it for them self but Everybody is ranting about.

Now as to the topic of Steam hate, I have 8 years of usage and can remember when it was worth hating. It crashed, content delivery was slow as hell, troubles even signing in etc. In the last 4-5 years however it has really come into its own and rightly deserves the title of #1 content delivery system for gaming (specifically PC)

Signing in is nothing if you have a broadband connection, as it's effectively always on. Don't want to be seen? Set your friends list to invisible or offline as you no doubt do with MSN or Facebook on your phone (if you use it on your phone).

Agreed it Works by now but well is stil aint Save as the latest issues show. I dont see the Reason having Steam involved if i could Download it from the Developer it self. Cool thing about Crowdfoundig is i know that my Money lands in the Hands of the Developer. I dont like the Fact that i have to pay EA, Valve, MS etc... when the Money belongs to the Developer. The Fact that Steam is a DRM-Tool with always on is another reason for the dislike..

That's not what he meant. He meant that there are lot of legal issues between steam and Windows 8 right now.

Yes but the "Valve dosent like Win8" is part of the hatred...

May be i should do a Win8 Topic with a question poll and make a Video then........

Edited by Karmann

Sorry for the Moan but i cant take it anymore:

I am using the Windows 8 right now. (My Company is a Microsoft Partner)

Windows 8 is basicly an Upgrade of Windows 7 with a changed Design for the Startmenu and the Desktop.

That taken away Windows 8 is much better than Windows 7.

It is fast, reliable, works with nearly everything (only Thing that did not run is the Skypekit).

I installed it for tests of our Software on my Notebook and stuck with it ever since. There was litraly no Software ore Driver that did not run. I even play DayZ on this Thing nothing happend. It did non not crash, eat my Files, burn my SSD ore HDD. All it did was running and that much faster than Win 7.

The Metro is a fast and Fun Startmenu nothing more. In my Opinion better than the constantly cramped and overloaded old startmenu ( All Programms!!) Is use Software an Drivers that where made for Win 7 without Problems as i sad befor it is basicly Win 7!

The concerns about Win 8 are mostly based on the Fact that the Testers did not like "Metro".

You have to understand that "Metro" is not the Desktop. It is the STARTMENU, well a pretty big one.

My best advise is to use common sens: Test it your self! Only you can know if you like it ore not!

I have used it myself, we're also a Microsoft partner.... I don't want to get involved in a debate about Microsoft or the Windows operating system as frankly I don't care, it's boring, I do that sort of stuff for a living and I don't come here for it.

Now, you talk about common sense but did you read the article?

It's not about drivers or any technical restrictions, it's about how Microsoft plan to to emulate Apple's I Store and restrict applications such as steam by forcing them to buy their own restrictive licences because they want more control and a finger in a very lucrative market right now. The article is from the propositions outlined to Valve themselves who have hit out and are seriously looking to expand into Linux platforms now. I've read several interviews from Gabe Newell bashing the propositions over the last couple of months so don;t bash me because Valve Don't want to play with MIcrosoft....

Edited by Box

Hmm not sure what you mean by Poweruser. Again im an IT Professional working for Layers, Consultants etc. etc. One Software we use you might know is Docuware. You can change Anything relevant in Win8 all Managment Snapins are Stil there some with major Upgrades. Jou can reach them the same way as in Win 7. Ore by just right klicking in the lower left Corner. Again "Metro" is just an Start menu.....

I mean last I heard any of the more obscure settings like things requiring the command line and the administrative tools are only accessible from the new interface. They supposedly locked it down like alcatraz in classic ui.

I have used it myself, we're also a Microsoft partner.... I don't want to get involved in a debate about Microsoft or the Windows operating system as frankly I don't care, it's boring, I do that sort of stuff for a living and I don't come here for it.

Now, you talk about common sense but did you read the article?

It's not about drivers or any technical restrictions, it's about how Microsoft plan to to emulate Apple's I Store and restrict applications such as steam by forcing them to buy their own restrictive licences because they want more control and a finger in a very lucrative market right now. The article is from the propositions outlined to Valve themselves who have hit out and are seriously looking to expand into Linux platforms now. I've read several interviews from Gabe Newell bashing the propositions over the last couple of months so don;t bash me because Valve Don't want to play with MIcrosoft....

Again my Problem is Everybody is bashing around creating a Shitstorm without having the Product ever seen. Wich is impossible becaus it is released on 28 this Month. All i said is "First test your self than, rant about it!"

Oh and by the Way i am talking about MY Experince with Windows 8. I am not runnning around repeating without checking and researching what a Certain CEO sad in some Interview, becaus he was fed up seeing a upcoming competition in a Market he as a near Monopl in.

He is reffering to the Fact that the Microsoft Marketplace, wich is the same as Steam (bear with me here it is a Online selling Platform like Origin and such..) is build into "Metro". This is a Big competition for Him and Steam wich i can understand makes him upset. MS is the biggest in Market and has proven that they can Force them in to a Market with there Power an Money. Funny Fact is Nevell is complaining about the Fact Nobody can sell on that Market without permission of MS. Witch is pretty much the same on Steam. But again i am on his Side! MS is to Powerfull and will dominate this to. Balmer (why Gates why ???) pointed out that they will be succsessfull against Apple he made clear MS wont step back a single Point. This is not going to end well for Platforms like Steam. But hey! Croudfoundig will take the Place of Publishers and Games will be bought and Downloaded direkt from the Developer. And that is stil possible with Windows. I could not even imagen what would happen to MS Business Branch if you could not run a self made Programm on it. Everyone would immediately change to a Unix System. I am talking about Business here!! not gaming. This is MS biggest income by far! The will clearly not ruin that!!! So again this is all about MS Marketplace!

But Nevell said .... Acer-CEO JT Wang said Surface will ruin there Sales because of the Price and what was the Truth? Surface is out and the Price is 600 Bucks and suddenly everything is okay because it is more Expensive as theirs and they can sell a Pad with a reasonabl Price.

What puzzels me the most is if you hab Win8 and tested it you would know that Steam is running just fine. (Right now in the lower left Corner next to the Time if you ask.) In fact and yet again Win8 is Win7 with Upgrades and runs everything even old Programms that were made by a Contractor for WinXP.

Only thing so far that did not Work is the Skypekit that i use with Trillian. And to make one Thing clear i dont reccomend buying Windows 8, not if you got Win 7.

Again all i am saying is: "Wait and see for yourself, before you judge!"

This would be the same B§$%§%&t saying DayZ Standalone sucks because i have seen the Screens and did not like it....

I mean last I heard any of the more obscure settings like things requiring the command line and the administrative tools are only accessible from the new interface. They supposedly locked it down like alcatraz in classic ui.

No need to worry! Everything is just a right klick of the Mousebutton away. Look here: http://imgur.com/zSKzi

It is German so two translations in case you need them:

"Ausführen" = Run

"Computerverwaltung" = Computermanagement

Edited by Karmann

Again my Problem is Everybody is bashing around creating a Shitstorm without having the Product ever seen. Wich is impossible becaus it is released on 28 this Month. All i said is "First test your self than, rant about it!"

Oh and by the Way i am talking about MY Experince with Windows 8. I am not runnning around repeating without checking and researching what a Certain CEO sad in some Interview, becaus he was fed up seeing a upcoming competition in a Market he as a near Monopl in.

He is reffering to the Fact that the Microsoft Marketplace, wich is the same as Steam (bear with me here it is a Online selling Platform like Origin and such..) is build into "Metro". This is a Big competition for Him and Steam wich i can understand makes him upset. MS is the biggest in Market and has proven that they can Force them in to a Market with there Power an Money. Funny Fact is Nevell is complaining about the Fact Nobody can sell on that Market without permission of MS. Witch is pretty much the same on Steam. But again i am on his Side! MS is to Powerfull and will dominate this to. Balmer (why Gates why ???) pointed out that they will be succsessfull against Apple he made clear MS wont step back a single Point.

But Nevell said .... Acer-CEO JT Wang said Surface will ruin there Sales because of the Price and what was the Truth? Surface is out and the Price is 600 Bucks and suddenly everything is okay because it is more Expensive as theirs and they can sell a Pad with a reasonabl Price.

What puzzels me the most is if you hab Win8 and tested it you would know that Steam is running just fine. (Right now in the lower left Corner next to the Time if you ask.) In fact and yet again Win8 is Win7 with Upgrades and runs everything even old Programms that were made by a Contractor for WinXP.

Only thing so far that did not Work is the Skypekit that i use with Trillian. And to make one Thing clear i dont reccomend buying Windows 8, not if you got Win 7.

Again all i am saying is: "Wait and see for yourself, before you judge!"

This would be the same B§$%§%&t saying DayZ Standalone sucks because i have seen the Screens and did not like it....

No need to worry! Everything is just a right klick of the Mousebutton away. Look here: http://imgur.com/zSKzi

"Ausführen" = Run

We've had access to Windows 8 for months now, that's nothing special there are plenty of partners who have. Funnily enough, I haven't actually used steam on it myself as I work at work, I don't game at work. However I was also suitably unimpressed as to not bother dicking about with it on my personal computer and having to fart about with it. Now that's something that's something called personal choice, based on MY EXPERIENCE. I personally have enough of messing about with compatibility issues, unknown errors and general fault finding during my day job to open the door to it on my own time when I just want to get some games in. I'm not bashing anyone else who does want to do this, kudos to them, I just don't.

As for "hating" Windows/Microsoft, that's ridiculous, I genuinely just really don't care enough to hate. I use, some things I like, some things I don't I have no doubt 8 will be as widely used as every other MS operating system has been, good or bad, so everything will eventually settle (even without you setting the record straight!). There's always a mass panic about what apps will be working etc etc etc,....... it's been the same for as long as i can remember, hardly worth pissing yourself on here about though.

If you want to be a Windows 8 crusader that's fine, go and spread your gospel across the internet, I would however suggest targeting places a little higher up the food chain than the Day Z forum though mate. I would also advise not shooting the messenger. Just on a personal note, I think you are out of order to insinuate I'm lying about using Windows 8, I'm not sure what it would achieve to do so - I'm not the one who thinks it impresses people.

Edited by Box

"Ausführen" = Run

My problem is the interface is incredibly effing ugly, unneccessary on a desktop and wastes space like nobodies business on their mobile device UI.

I don't like it and want to use classic, but I want to use classic with those specific tools and if they are still locked down then MS can kiss my cash goodbye.

• Like 1

We've had access to Windows 8 for months now, that's nothing special thre's pleanty of partners who have. Funnily enough, I havent actually used steam on it myself as I work at work, I don't game at work. However I was also suitably unimpressed as to not bother dicking about with it on my personal computer and having to fart about with it. Now that's something that's something called personal choice, based on MY EXPERIENCE. I personally have enough of messing about with compatibility issues, unknown errors and general fault finding during my day job to open the door to it on my own time when I just want to get some games in. I'm not bashing anyone else who does want to do this, kudos to them, I just don't.

Yes it is my very own personal Computer you got that right. Who that lying? I said you are uninformend and as you Pointed out you did not bother Win8 long enough.

I have better things to do than impress a bunch of faceless names on an internet forum mate."

So please tell me what was your intention with this: "Well I hope Rocket doesnt like Windows 8 as there's some real concern about Steam and Windows 8 right now."

But weill thanks for the Kudos then. ^^

My problem is the interface is incredibly effing ugly, unneccessary on a desktop and wastes space like nobodies business on their mobile device UI.

I don't like it and want to use classic, but I want to use classic with those specific tools and if they are still locked down then MS can kiss my cash goodbye.

Yes in this case you are better off with Win7 then. There is simply not classsic Startmenu anymore. And for the Design the Desktop itself is not to pretty as well. Aero was way better looking. By now i am used to Metro and its has its Points and the System itself is faster.

Edited by Karmann

Yes it is my very own personal Computer you got that right. Who that lying? I said you are uninformend and as you Pointed out you did not bother Win8 long enough.

So please tell me what was your intention with this: "Well I hope Rocket doesnt like Windows 8 as there's some real concern about Steam and Windows 8 right now."

But weill thanks for the Kudos then. ^^

I fail to see how reading and simple referring to credible articles in industry magazines and websites is "uninformed". In fact, isn't that kind of the opposite of uninformed? You are the one who failed to read the article and obviously hadn't read the other articles that have been circulating over recent months as you attacked my post claiming it was to do with technical draw backs, I'd say that's uninformed.

May I ask how you know I didn't bother with win 8 for long enough? Can I ask what is even the relevance of this my original topic, which again was referring to the very real legal issues that are ongoing regarding in 8 and Valve?

I'm not interested in a dick measuring contest with you over who knows the most about Win 8, nor am I intentionally trying to upset you by bad mouthing Windows 8 .... I will of course reiterate my "intention" of my original statement; there is a very real and unresolved legal issue and concern from online retailers, particularly gaming related to the market place licences within Windows 8.My point is this could go either way or at the very least could be become a factor at some stage of all game/steam developments. It's such a serious issue that a recent article in Micro mart questioned the future of gaming on Windows.

I didn't write the article, so before you shoot the messenger again because you are upset that people would dare question Window 8, I suggest you blast Micro Mart for not spending enough time on 8. I would also suggest you get yourself up to speed before you call others "uninformed".

Edited by Box

You know what, me neither is was just upset how you said that.

"I Hope you have" was a bad way to point things out. And i for myself could have answerd a "better".

As i see it neither of us is here to particpate in a dick measuring contest.

But both of us should have found a better way to react.

Both of us have there Oppinions and non is going to back up.

So instead of going on and on with that. (I bet this would go on ages until a admin gets in)

How about calling it quits?

Edited by Karmann

You no what, me neither is was just upset how you said that.

"I Hope you have" was a bad way to point things out. And i for myself could have answerd a "better".

As i see it neither of us is here to particpate in a dick measuring contest.

But both of us should have found a better way to react.

Both of us have there Oppinions and non is going to back up.

So instead of going on and on with that. (I bet this would go on ages until a admin gets in)

How about calling it quits?

I wasn't offering my opinion on Windows 8 (which personally I don't like) I was simply pointing out there are some serious issues that may have implications on Steam within Windows 8. Like it or not, that is a matter of fact. I also don't feel I have reacted badly, I'm not the one raging, calling people liars, making assumptions and generally bashing people with opinions that differ from my own...

Edited by Box

Well thats kind of sad. I hoped we could find a "grownup" solution!

But i guess you cant be helped!

Im outa here......

Edited by Karmann

Im sorry you feel that an opposed opinion to you isn't that of a grown up. I personally believed being able to respect a difference of opinion is a mark of maturity and intelligence.

As I keep stressing, I'm not targeting you personally, I'm not even calling into question your knowledge of Windows 8 or even how good an OS it is; I'm simply replying to the statements you are making directly to me and backing them up with information. What more do you want?

I think anyone with a bit of common sense reading this back will have no doubt who the grown up here is.

• Like 1

I only suggested this stay on topic relative to steam, since that was the whole point of the thread.

It's now a topic about windows 8 theory crafting and its interface and potential issues with valve. I haven't read the thread since it has nothing to do with dayz and should be in an off topic forum.

I agree

I only suggested this stay on topic relative to steam, since that was the whole point of the thread.

It's now a topic about windows 8 theory crafting and its interface and potential issues with valve. I haven't read the thread since it has nothing to do with dayz and should be in an off topic forum.

I agree and you can thank our Windows 8 super-fan friend Karmann for his digression on the technical capabilities of Windows 8. Personally I think the legal wrangling of Steam and Windows 8 are relevant to Day Z and steam since it's something we could all be facing soon pending outcome. .

I hope they do have it on Steam, although I don't know how it would work out so well, but the SteamPipe seems to be in favor of allowing rocket to actually make updates to the game similar to Minecraft and not having to worry about ding-donging Valve's doorbell.

yup... like Rocket is the type who makes frequent patches... are you really try to lie to yourself?

yup... like Rocket is the type who makes frequent patches... are you really try to lie to yourself?

You must be new here. You do realize he was patching the hell out of the mod up until like June right? Then things got rolling and the mod kinda got pulled off the burners. I much rather have a buggy mod and him doing whatever it is he needs to do for the SA. ;)

I'm surprised at all the steam hate tbh.

I dislike having to be online to go offline, but as a whole steam is a great tool.

Seeing as how arma sales spiked on steam it seems a lot of success of dayz can even be attributed to steam.

Yea right, steam did it...

What's wrong with buying directly from BI? you can use credit card or paypal. Also you give all the money to them instead of paying valve to continue developing Episode 3.

Yea right, steam did it...

What's wrong with buying directly from BI? you can use credit card or paypal. Also you give all the money to them instead of paying valve to continue developing Episode 3.

Like it or not steam has a large userbase. The ease of purchase, games being linked to a single database, I don't have to make a login for BI, or input my CC number in their online store. I can (and did) log into steam type arma 2 and bought both games hassle free. It literally couldn't have been easier.

I'm not alone, as shown by steam sales it is widely used. I do think the ease of access it gave people wanting to buy arma was a big help to dayz growth.

True the autoupdate is nice but i still prefer to give my money to people who deserver it directly, no middlemen.

Can I get mine of a floppy? Please?

All joking aside, it should be on Steam. Too many players use it for it not to be.

Edited by Occy