Ejaculacid

A new 'incentive' to encourage cooperation

While i agree with the classes, i'm not sure starting out with a full featured set of equipment is a good idea.

My main advice would be to create a couple classes that receive a +3ish bonus (Infantry to weapon accuracy, Mechanic to vehicle repair and operation, Medical to application of aids)

providing a Civilian class on the other hand, could be another option. adding one that's capable of learning through practice. but the civilian would a set up up that would make an attractive offer to compensate for the lack of skill. Something like the ability to achieve a plus 3 in all aspects, where as the other classes could only achieve a plus 2 in areas outside their focus.

I'd like to review the original purpose of your idea: to increase player interaction.

I don't think introducing classes will bring players together. To support this claim' date=' let's consider why players aren't playing together to begin with.

I believe they are:

A) Don't want to risk losing their gear to a stranger

B) Prefer to play alone

C) Likes to shoot every living thing

D) Beans

I'm sure there are more reasons, but I can't imagine any of those reasons to be: "Well, this person does not give me any advantage to survival in any way, maybe if they knew how to fish."

Hell, I'd still kill a fisherman for his beans.

[/quote']

We have a winnar!!! People don't play together because you don't know who is going to shoot you in the back to take your stuff. Any positives gained by grouping up are completely overshadowed by that one bullet when you aren't looking because you feel safe.

Maybe some type of CareBear group mechanic? Like in Diablo 2, you joined up with someone and it made it so your attacks cant hurt each other, then you'd have to signal you're hostile again before the pact is broken.

The base idea is good...But from what I read, people still want the ability to do the lone wolf if they want. So lets try and join the 2 ideas together...

So we have some people that want player roles to increase the need for other people. While on the other hand, we have people that want the freedom to not have to rely on anyone. Completely agree with that.

So why don't you have your starting character be based off your humanity...So people with high humanity would be doctors...given the oath and all and people with low humanity could be..... But then one could argue "I dont want to have to find a doctor every time i get shot". Great counter argument! So you make it so the player could stop the bleeding, but somthing would be off about them that only a doctor could fix. Lets say you get shot in the leg, you walk with a limp, so slightly slower walk. Shot in the arm? Your aim sways just a little bit more than usual. This makes it so you don't have to go to a doctor, but it would help.

Mechanic role... One could argue " I dont want to have to find a mechanic to repair a car. Good argument! Counter? The player could still fill up the car and repair the tires etc...But the mechanic would take less engine parts to get it to green. More efficient at it? So you could still do it, but there would be an incentive to having one.

My point from this is, this enable the player to be a role that goes along with how they want to play. If someone wants to kill everyone, they will obvisouly have low humanity, and be given a role that fits it. Where someone that helps people out, recivies high humanity and is given a role to suit them .

Too much roleplaying for me. I like the idea/possibility to switch/choose between roles/behaviours depending on what I need to survive. If there is the time and place I`m happy with hunting sth. and cooking it close to a lake that gives me water in the wilderness. At times where I desperately need essentials I`m willing to shoot sbdy. and take it from his dead body... But that`s just me.

"- starts off with increased accuracy when using firearms"

Anything that uses this I do not approve of. While the overall idea has potential, this is a first person shooter on PC. We do not use aim-assist, which is essentially exactly what you mention here.

No, never. Classes (or "archetypes" as you call them) would shatter any realism or believability this game has. Skills should come with practice, not in preset configurations because, you know, that's how the world actually works.

No' date=' never. Classes (or "archetypes" as you call them) would shatter any realism or believability this game has. Skills should come with practice, not in preset configurations because, you know, that's how the world actually works.

[/quote']

Yes please. let's get into "this is how reality works" in the middle of a zombie invasion. You're probably one of the hipsters shouting "A zombie mod for MY ARMA?!?!?!?! How DARE you?!?!"

Let's add classes and skills and magic and levels

But the argument that "skills should be learned" is flawed. You literally wake up on a beach! Did the player not have a past life before that? Or did everyone just get into college when the zombies came? The learning of skills is not the best option here. Based off of your humanity, which equates to your games style, will choose what part you play in the apacolypse.

There are already massive benefits to teaming up in DayZ. Working in a group of even two people GREATLY increases your chances of survival. But, to be frank, players don't care. Or at least enough don't care and wish to play killers that the average player has to avoid EVERYONE that they do not know personally.

Also, the fact that you can not be "regular" team mates in the game with someone else makes developing relationships pointless in the long term. This is due of course to the fact that when you die you are randomly restarted on the shore...your old team mate could be miles away. So the game both encourages and discourages team play all at the same time.

Fixing the respawn thing so friends respawned together or closer to their old team mates would help. But what if one person in a group dies but the others are still alive...how do you fix that? Perhaps allow a group of player s to "declare" a base where they respawn? A place to defend? I am really not sure how to make it work.