Sign in to follow this  
Thirdthorpe

Pyromania! (Molotov cocktails and ways of making fire)

So I mentioned something about molotov cocktails in a somewhat unrelated thread and got a few cans of beans so thought I would make a seperate devoted to it. Molotov cocktails: petrol + bottle + rag with a lighter in the inventory.

Also, I was wondering if there were other forms of starting a fire proposed. I would love to see zippos, disposable lighters, and even (if youre really desperate) fire-bows that could be made from a stick and string that has a 1% chance of actually starting a fire after being activated ten times. (Anyone thats ever tried making a fire with a fire-bow will understand this.) Another thought was condition for firewood being simply "dry", "wet" , or "rotten" that would determine its chance of actually catching fire.

• Like 2

So I mentioned something about molotov cocktails in a somewhat unrelated thread and got a few cans of beans so thought I would make a seperate devoted to it. Molotov cocktails: petrol + bottle + rag with a lighter in the inventory.

Also, I was wondering if there were other forms of starting a fire proposed. I would love to see zippos, disposable lighters, and even (if youre really desperate) fire-bows that could be made from a stick and string that has a 1% chance of actually starting a fire after being activated ten times. (Anyone thats ever tried making a fire with a fire-bow will understand this.) Another thought was condition for firewood being simply "dry", "wet" , or "rotten" that would determine its chance of actually catching fire.

I find it highly unlikely that molotovs won't be implemented-  especially with physics on the way,  It's just a matter of time.  And yeah, those fire bows are a pain in the ass, I'd rather use a mirror and a lens to start a fire. at least that way you could rig it to stand still while you do something else like gather wood until the kindling actually catches.  anywho, It'd be great if you could collect different zippos.  I've got a bunch in my collection.  

Lol gaf, that is the exact expression anyone makes after starting a fire with means outside lighters or matches. I know there are other way simpler ways to make fire than a fire-bow if it were an emergency but it just seems like a fire-bow would be the simplest to code into the game as all the required materials already exist. Using a battery and steel wool, arching off a car battery, magnifying glass, mirror and light ect ect are all great IRL but it would be extra work on the devs to add those extra items.

sounds like a great idea that would add a lot of interaction between players and a big realism boost. Maybe a flamethrower could be a super high end item adept at PVE but not PVP

sounds like a great idea that would add a lot of interaction between players and a big realism boost. Maybe a flamethrower could be a super high end item adept at PVE but not PVP

I understand that there could be flamethrowers, but it wouldn't be good in my opinion; just spammed.  Besides, flamethrowers have to be worn on your back. So I hope you're willing to give up anything you can't carry in your pockets!

Flamethrowers would severely lack in PVP, let's say give them 3k damage per second. Great for a drop on anyone, with AOE so great v Zeds, but horrible vs anyone with good aim or a shotty.

I'd say let there be big canisters that take up the backpack slot or smaller ones that tack 6 inventory slots or a gun holster slot, could work quite well . especially with harder zeds in already and roaming hordes soon.

Flamethrowers would totally not be worth it to carry. First you'd have to drop your backpack and weapon to equip it and second because real flamethrowers have about three and a half seconds worth of triggertime in them.

Flamethrowers would totally not be worth it to carry. First you'd have to drop your backpack and weapon to equip it and second because real flamethrowers have about three and a half seconds worth of triggertime in them.

If someone wants to give up everything in their backpack to use one, then be my guest.

With the massive zed groups then if you're in a group of 4/5 people, allocating a flamethrower to 1 guy is gonna be a great boost to your pve. also, it's a great " zoning " tool when your help up in a house, no one wants to walk through flames. Making fire traps could also be a possibility.

I totally understand your points, Lezza. I just think it would be more work to code in than its effectiveness would warrant.

Oh of course, it's not high priority , it's a kinda " if you got time " and they're going to be constantly making content so the priorities will decrease over time and eventually lead to this.

and it's an i

iezza

Alcoholic tincture (Both the bottle and alcohol included here) + rags + matches/ligher = Molotov cocktail.

Would be pretty cool.

Now,on to the topic.

I think it's a preety neat idea to have molotovs and flamethrowers.

But i really want to see candles or a makeshift torches making it ingame,along

with the flashlight.I don't think it's possible,but i want to be able to leave gasoline trails

(like GTA V) and ignite it.Flint and steel could also be an effective way of starting a fire.