Muncywolverine

How did you find DayZ?

I found this game from Drift0r's youtube channel.

He primarily does call of duty videos. I've never owned MW3, but i loved playing Black Ops, and still play that game occasionally.

It seems like this is where most of DayZ's boon population came from: Youtube videos. When DayZ "Infected" (hurr) the Call Of Duty subscribers, we got a big chunk of that audience.

Now i'm not a script kiddie/griefer/bandit, but i'm sure a large chunk of the transplanted CoD audience is.

So here's my round-about question:

How did you find the game? I personally believe a lot of the hype came from DayZ getting into Call of Duty's youtube audience.

Lemmie know whatcha think.

Edit: Changed up the post a bit.

Edited by Muncywolverine

I don't think so. I think it has more to do with the Zombie craving period that seems to be going on. Kind of like how the whole vampire industry has been booming. just my 2 cents

I think you've been drinking...

Not yet, 1:26 PM.

How did you find the game then? I'm curious.

Edited by Muncywolverine
  • Like 1

Not yet, 1:26 PM.

How did you find the game then? I'm curious.

I follow a few gaming sites and I noticed some stories popping up about this buggy little mod that is breaking some boundaries. I've played Arma for years so already had the software. I just downloaded the mod and I was good to go. No Youtube or COD needed.

Edited by Fraggle

Owned ArmA II CO for about a year before DayZ was released and have been following some other mods, however I never was familiar with DayZ until I watched CHKilroy's (a regular player of ArmA and one that I watch a lot) videos. From then on, I was hooked ;).

Edited by Excision

Was waiting for Undead Labs to make Class 3 + then Class 4 for the xbox. Then i stumbled across Gassy and Dictions youtube vids, I quickly built a PC and got on the pain train.

Yeah i used to play CoD (that got old with black ops), but my true love was SOCOM 2 and Ghost Recons 2s 16player online Co-Op.

Edited by RiggsUK

I was on Skype with my friend and he mentioned that this was a cool game. After watching a few livestreams on Twitch, I bought the game.

Stumbled upon it on youtube. Brought me back into gaming after more than one year beeing clean.

9GAG brought me here... saw a meme of someone who finally met with a player and the player killed him. Got curious because I never heard of the game before so I looked for some Youtube videos. Since then, I also found out how much better PC games are than console games, and knowing this a few months prior I would've bought a better laptop :( but that doesn't mean I can't play it and keep liking DayZ

saw it on Steam, was a blurb about it on the ARMA II page, when ARMA II was on sale.

it first i did some research cuz i didnt wanna buy ARMA, if i couldnt get DayZ to work.

lukily by then dayZcmder was out..

its been golden since then..

im a HUGE fanboi of dayzCmder, i could care less for the antics of some of the haters out there recently.

I had been playing Dead Island a lot but I wanted something open world. So I started searching open world zombie games, and here I am.

I found out about DayZ from DaSquirrelsNuts youtube channel.

It's kinda depressing knowing that a lot of this community comes from CoD.. but I guess it makes sense.

Made more sense to me that people from Battlefield made the crossover.

Not to start a huge flame war here, I just never pegged DayZ as a run and gun shooter...

I got bored of BF and I saw a few Dayz video by sidestrafe seems interesting I was happy because I finally found a use for Arma 2 I had bought and had no clue what it actually was.

I didn't find DayZ it found me........................

On youtube, was looking up a few tutorials on Arma and came across a video, that was back in very early April......It just looked epic.

Saw Sidestrafe play it a few months before the infection got into full Swing, but didn't buy it because it didn't seem to be fun without friends. Couple months later when it became super popular I bought it because my friends did. Still play it off and on now :D. Love it just can't play it for long stretches because its bugginess makes me rage xD

As terrible as it sounds, the Diablo 3 forums. I was tired of that game and cruising all the bitching threads when I was looking for something else to play when some one mentioned this little arma 2 mod called dayz. I was hooked after seeing my first YouTube vid. Needless to say, diablo 3 hasn't been on my pc since then.

It knocked on my front door and asked me to let it in...Didnt appear to be a edward cullen's from twilight so I accomodated its request. dayz has been hanging out at my house ever since..

Edited by Steak and Potatoes
  • Like 1

Kotaku. Had been a bunch of articles on it lately, and one of my buddies on steam was telling me it was pretty fun. Couple of days later, ARMA was have a bit of a discount on it, so figured what the hell, got myself a copy and I didnt look back.

Joe Rogan's Forum - which I am no longer part of (long story).

This Ukrainian kid posted the Survivors video and I bought ARMA 2 after only watching that video halfway through. The innovation alone was spectacular. I loved it. Alas, hackers suck. Which is why I barely play anymore. I have been playing the past two or so days for long stretches but mostly on Lingor Island.

Was casually checking out videos on some random sites throughout the internet one evening, on a site that had nothing to do with gaming or even DayZ for that matter, didn't even know DayZ existed and clicked a game video splash that showed a dude with a backpack and baseball cap - it looked ARMAish and what I realized after was the famous DayZ uniform - and watched it. I wasn't sure what I was seeing at first but then realized it had something to do with ARMA 2 and a mod. Watched three players walking down a road in the dark with flashlights, they seem to be in a slight panic trying to get down this road, then I put on my headphones and heard them talking to each other. Then something comes out of the dark and I hear one of them yell "ZEDS!" and they all start shooting it. Then they start running a little down the road, flashlights strafing the ground and they are screaming to each other to run.

I'm like thinking to myself "What the f**k is this?"

Then there was some more shooting, flashlights strafing through the trees then one guy yells for them to stop but stay on the road. Its dark, and one of them is slowly moving his light around the area.

He goes "Hear that?"

Theres this horrible noise coming up behind them and then the night sky is lite up with muzzle flash from their guns and zombies are running and falling.

Being a big fan of Left4Dead and Dead Island I just knew at that moment what ever mod it was I had to have it. I did a search right after the video and found DayZ mod, the rest is history. :rolleyes:

Edited by ZedKiller
  • Like 2