BARONVONBULLSHIT

Anyone get this working for a Mac?

So there we are, Mac will run it, like a beast. HA.

I got it running through windows 7 on my iMac, works sweet, I just wrecked it trying to install the beta patch though so I'm reinstalling operation arrowhead now haha

Oh how funny Mac fans are. Despite hating windows their OS supplier has to make software to boot windows to do things their's can't.

Oh how funny Mac fans are. Despite hating windows their OS supplier has to make software to boot windows to do things their's can't.

Oh how tiresome and old listening to invalid arguments like that are. You're faulting the consumer for a decision wrought by developers? :rolleyes:

Most macs have very low hardware specs (I have an iMac and a MacBook pro, and they are way, way, WAY underpowered for Arma2)

So see if the crappy Mac graphics hardware is actually enough to run this game at a resolution that doesn't cause eye cancer, mkay? :)

Are most of you people just completely stupid? Zombie ate your brains?

The OP asked about a simple question, why do you feel you need to spam the thread with pointless crap? Ah the internetz typical LOL crowd...Not surprised, with the huge amount of people these forums have, they just follow the typical Gaussian distribution for intelligence (heavily biased to the left) ;-)

Anyway, back to the OP's question.

You need Bootcamp. Wine is a no-go. Although you can get ArmaII to run under Wine after some hacking, the DirectX implementation in Wine will give you random problems, and will run slower.

4850 is not so much powerful GFX card for ArmaII, with only 512MB in the iMac, but it should be playable if you lower your settings. There were plenty of people playing ArmaII on PCs with 4850 cards when they were the higher end few years ago, and it was actually the recommended card in the official specs back then (not meaning it could run ArmaII on very high, though :)

Your iMac's CPU is plenty powerful for it (i5 quad, right?) (unless you have big singleplayer missions with hundreds of AI, but there struggles everything), but you will be limited by GFX a bit. With your 27" higher resolution, you might have to turn resolution down and use lower settings. Turn off antialiasing in game, turn off AToC in Arma2OA .cfg, use SMAA on low instead for antialiasing. Turn PostProcess to lowest or disabled. Look up other settings optimisation here, me and few others contributed to a pretty good Arma II settings optimisation thread in the Troubleshooting section:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1355

Lower your view distance, you don't need anything over 2000 for DayZ, maybe even less (you need more for flying in regular ArmaII). PP, AA and Shadows are the biggest GFX eater in Arma. Viewdistance is the biggest GFX AND CPU eater in Arma.

And finaly, you can instal Windows 8 Preview on Bootcamp easily (and for free), get latest Catalyst drivers for it, download and install ArmaII Free before you buy the full game to give you some overview of how it will run. All for free (although ArmaII Free is obviously with low res textures, and doesn't support any modding, and is not optimised as well as full ArmaII CO)

No - don't use the Consumer Preview. It is in no way stable enough for gaming yet.

No - don't use the Consumer Preview. It is in no way stable enough for gaming yet.

Valid point. I was pointing out a free way to try out if ArmaII works on OP's rig, if he doesn't have a legit Win disk yet.

So far it has caused no issues for me (I use it myself), but I installed it just and only for ArmaII, I don't need Windows for anything else - though it works for me, there might be many issues I am unaware of. How about the newer Release Preview?

Source: Experience

I own a 27" iMac and have my 1TB harddrive partitioned 50% Lion / 50% Windows. I game on both operting systems, such as Diablo III on Lion and DayZ & Guild Wars 2 on Windows. I run these games at the highest settings better than most PCs I have seen. And yes, I was a PC owner up until a few months ago.

I used BootCamp to partition my harddrive and used Windows 7 as my operting system. Do NOT use Windows 8 yet! You have been warned. I followed the normal installation guide here on the www.dayzmod.com homepage and use Six Updater everyday for updates and to launch the game. So to answer your question, Mac can and most certainly will run DayZ.

I run these games at the highest settings better than most PCs I have seen. And yes' date=' I was a PC owner up until a few months ago.[/quote']

That is about as factual and useful as saying "My new red car is much faster than any old blue car I've ever used". No specs, no validity.

So lets keep comments like that out of the thread shall we?

2010 MacBook pro, 13 inch, 8 gigs of ram, nvidia 320m on bootcamp. I run it on low but works pretty well overall. Could it run better on a better machine. Yes. Can it run suitably on what I have? Definitely. I'm having fun playing the game and arma 2 is pretty fun too.

Alright, up and running! Awesome!! Cheers to the fellas who helped! Hope to run into some of you out there, especially the immature naggers on this post. :)

So I run this on a 2011 15 inch MacBook Pro. Quick q, with fans maxed out piriform speccy shows my temps at 85c. Is it bad to run the game if my temps are getting this high?

I certainly wouldn't recommend it - 85C is pretty high for a laptop longterm.

Most macs have very low hardware specs (I have an iMac and a MacBook pro' date=' and they are way, way, WAY underpowered for Arma2)

So see if the crappy Mac graphics hardware is actually enough to run this game at a resolution that doesn't cause eye cancer, mkay? :)

[/quote']

hmm macs may be over-priced but they are not under-powered. They are designed for audio and video editing and processing, you need a pretty powerful CPU and GPU for these tasks (GPU acceleration permitting). In fact Apple makes one of the most powerful computers available to the general public that is not a server, the 12 core mac pro. If you ask me they are pretty damn good looking too.

http://www.apple.com/macpro/

Most new graphics cards ATI 7, 6, or 5 series, should be able to work in a mac.

As I said earlier, my iMac runs this through bootcamp fine, and I've only got the 2.7 i5

I've played for hours, shot tonnes of zombies and got shot by heaps of players (Unlike my name suggests I'm not some kind of MURDERISER)

I've yet to have any issues at all (aside from mod compatibility issues on servers, but that's another story)

Most macs have very low hardware specs (I have an iMac and a MacBook pro' date=' and they are way, way, WAY underpowered for Arma2)

[/quote']

hmm macs may be over-priced but they are not under-powered. They are designed for audio and video editing and processing, you need a pretty powerful CPU and GPU for these tasks (GPU acceleration permitting). In fact Apple makes one of the most powerful computers available to the general public that is not a server, the 12 core mac pro. If you ask me they are pretty damn good looking too.

http://www.apple.com/macpro/

Most new graphics cards ATI 7, 6, or 5 series, should be able to work in a mac.

They are still considered underpowered by professional standards - as designed as they are for such applications they still fall flat when compared to "PC" platforms when using the raw number crunching tools (rendering et cetera)

And you are specifically talking about an iMac here - not the laptops, which are an entirely different beast.