elemein

Playstyles in DayZ

So I've been playing DayZ for a little while now; not too long, about a week or two, but enough to get my bearings solidly and know the real basics of the game.

Though I'm kind of wondering now; things are starting to seem repetitive.

I just seem to be going in an endless loop of; Die>Find good weapons>PvP>Die.

I have heard of a couple other playstyles; such as Die>Find good medical supplies>help people with blood bags and such>die because you THOUGHT the person you were helping was trustworthy, but instead they just shoot you in the face when you get close.

And I've also tried Die>Spend an hour and a half finding parts for a car> Build one> Drive your clan buddies around> Your clan buddies dont need driving around anymore> Get sniped spontaneously while trying to find fuel for said vehicle...

So what does everyone else do to get the most enjoyment out of this game? I've heard of the lifestyle of living off the land; and I could imagine that being entertaining for a bit, but wouldnt that get repititive? I havent tried it yet, but I'm up to just about ANY lifestyle so that I can find my perfect fit in this game :)

So, any suggestions? What does everyone else do?

Hello There

if you want to try diffrent play style

than a repeating cycle of gearing up>get sniped>dead>respawn>gear up>get sniped>dead>and so on.

I think you should try http://www.dayzrp.com/

we got no KOS rules,robbing is allowed,there is still killing going but no KOS(Kill on Sight),no scriptkiddie,Admin Team keep the server safe,etc.

As we are role playing server..you can become a Medic,or maybe Taxi service?

Its up to you to decide!!

I've played several different styles so far. I've been playing for months, and I am still entertained. I started out, as a noob, trying to go for a zombie-killer play-style. I would get a weapon and forage for supplies, killing as many zombies as possible along the way. That was sort of fun, but it wasn't very practical, and I died a lot. I then went to a live-off-the-land style. I would get a couple canteens, a knife, a box of matches, a hatchet and a basic gun. I would then go out into the wilds and try to survive. When I needed supplies or when I got bored, I would head to a town and loot some stuff. I liked that style. After that, I tried to make the game more difficult on myself by limiting what I would pick up. For example, I only used a hatchet and a pistol. I wouldn't use any sort of military gear, and I didn't pick up a backpack past the Czech backpack. I then tried a sort of random style. By that I mean I would do random things I thought would be fun. For example, on one life, I picked up a crap load of soda and a crowbar, and I ran around the map giving away free cans of soda and acting like a crazy person. That was pretty entertaining until I got shot. I also tried being a medic, which was fun for a bit, but I would get killed by random bandits. I am currently trying out playing with a group/clan. So far it is pretty fun, but I have a problem with agreeing with some of the stuff they do. I, personally, don't really like high-end military stuff, because I think it makes the game too easy. They like the high-end stuff. I also have never used a tent before, because I didn't like being tied to one place, but now I am. I'll probably get used to it, but it's weird for me right now. At some point, I'd like to try being a bandit, but I don't know if I have the heart for it. I just hate killing other players, unless they shoot first. You can also try being a trader. This might not work if you are just doing stuff in-game, though. You would probably need to post on the forums to get real trades going.

My suggestion? Get good at PvP and hunt bandits. Or get some team mates and go try to acquire vehicles amd set up a camp. Hell, become a sniper.

Your endgame is only as limited as your imagination.

When I first started, I sneaked EVERYWHERE, I only found a weapon on my 5th life, in a fuel station, hacked the nearest zombies head off and found a soda, man that pepsi was sweet. Then I died because I got cocky. Moral of the story, sneaking around unarmed = surprisingly low death rate.

I do the medic thing, and so far pretty successfully. I haven't died while helping a patient yet, and I have over 20 under my belt. There's certain security measures to be taken, I almost called off the last one, but in the end everyone was happy and grateful, and begging to give me stuff rather than killing me for my gear.

I think I'd get bored doing the wilderness survival scene, but I can understand why people may enjoy it. Just do what you think you'd in an apocalypse.

scavenging is one of the most fun things I've done in dayz, hop onto an empty server, and you can just spend hourd and hours discovering stuff by simply looting places.

for example, ever since I started looting, I discovered weapons such as the svd camo, the m16a4 acog, the m4a3 cco, all the machine guns, the m4a1 holo m203, the multi color flares and the hand grenades (oh the hand grenades), I discovered things I've heard from but never seen, such as ammo boxes, sand bags, I discovered that things like engine parts and main rotor assemblies are one of the rarest spawns (although nobody picks them up on hipop servers), and especially I discovered the technique of loot cycling, I've repaired tons of vehicles and learned to drive them, learned what is hazardrous and what terrains allow for what, and the very few human interactions are the most intereeting experiences I had.

dayz really offers a lot even played as a single player game.

Hello There

if you want to try diffrent play style

than a repeating cycle of gearing up>get sniped>dead>respawn>gear up>get sniped>dead>and so on.

I think you should try http://www.dayzrp.com/

we got no KOS rules,robbing is allowed,there is still killing going but no KOS(Kill on Sight),no scriptkiddie,Admin Team keep the server safe,etc.

As we are role playing server..you can become a Medic,or maybe Taxi service?

Its up to you to decide!!

Played there. Got shot on sight twice in a row... It just pissed me off cause I could have killed the guy both times if I hadn't held my fire due to server rules. Not planning on going back and would advise anyone else against it.

I just came up with a idea while reading this forum, so here it is...

Try playing as a mercenary/clan. People pay you with what you want, and you and maybe some friends go after whoever they want for whatever reason. Kinda bandit like,but it could be entertaining for sure.

My approach is:

- appear on beach, check location on screen, crouch and leg it up said beach to cover

- spend hours search for can of coke or beans and eventually die of thirst/hunger

- repeat 1 above but then find drink/beans in time and look for axe

- find axe but die from zombie attack while trying to remove it from my belt (stupid place for an axe!)

- repeat all of the above but manage to use axe

- get sniped

- repeat all of the above

- get sniped again

- repeat all of the above yet again but live when sniper needs to reload

- get a bit cocky and try to make it to deer stand, get killed by zeds

- yes, repeat all of the above again

- and again

- finally get up a deer stand, find a bandage and some tin cans, fall to knees sobbing, drag self down ladder, and get killed by zeds

- you'll be guessing about now if it's "repeat all of the above, yet again". You'd be right....

- repeat ad infinitum...

Edited by Sula

What I've tried:

tents and camps: failed and then I lost interest

repairing a vehicle: gave up ever finding a fresh spawn, I've only found repaired ones and only vehicles I'm not interested in

crossbow only: never again

Lee Enfield as primary: much better, but it doesn't last long (found it soon and then what)

Night play: pretty much requires G17 and preferrably Remington

this weekend I tried running non-stop from new spawn to NWAF,

-only allowing a stop to use the bandage if needed and

-the first loot must be military in NWAF

I'd like to try some kind of loot-chain setup where a designated 1st looter takes what he wants, then 2nd takes whatever 1st leaves etc. Nice to be able to clear a place completely and have a steadier (but slower) gear progression.

Impossible team. 1 Lee Enfield only, 1 crossbow only and 1 Hatchet only (or crowbar).