Talyessin

Growing Food/Harvesting?

I thought this was a neat idea, having the ability to grow food by finding seeds and planting them.This probably would be a element of survival that would add something else to the whole mix.The time it would take to grow would be the only factor and as I am not a game developer I would not know how it would work in the mechanics of the game.However there is real satisfaction about growing your own food IRL why not in game.The seeds could be found in houses, barns and markets to name a few.Another element would be the ability to harvest things like pumpkin patches,etc. This is just another idea but it is a neat one for sure.One thing that would be something that could be a problem would be time to allow the seed to be planted and then for the plant to grow,real time would take a while but it is just a idea. Harvesting something would be more probable.This would allow you to find something such as a pumpkin patch, etc and then harvest it for food.

• Like 6

I'd like to be able to harvest the pumpkins you see growing on some farms. Too bad they are only static scenery.

• Like 3

I thought this was a neat idea' date=' having the ability to grow food by finding seeds and planting them.This probably would be a element of survival that would add something else to the whole mix.The time it would take to grow would be the only factor and as I am not a game developer I would not know how it would work in the mechanics of the game.However there is real satisfaction about growing your own food IRL why not in game.The seeds could be found in houses, barns and markets to name a few.Another element would be the ability to harvest things like pumpkin patches,etc. This is just another idea but it is a neat one for sure.One thing that would be something that could be a problem would be time to allow the seed to be planted and then for the plant to grow,real time would take a while but it is just a idea. Harvesting something would be more probable.This would allow you to find something such as a pumpkin patch, etc and then harvest it for food.

[/quote']

I never thought about the idea of finding seeds. Growing and harvesting food would add to the realism of the game. Great idea!

I'd like to be able to harvest the pumpkins you see growing on some farms. Too bad they are only static scenery.

I agree. Simple as that.

have it require an entrenching tool to make that tool more usefull + 1 canteen of water.

I think there is potential for it to be useful and interesting way to gather food.

I don't know how well this would fit into the quasi-realistic scales of space and time unique to this game, unless you plan to wait months for your crops to mature.

• Like 1

Time is relative and it does take time to grow crops, if this where a stand alone mmo with dedicated servers where your character would always be saved and so would your crops then it would work.I think that harvesting crops from a garden or berries from a bush would be a idea that would work.

Love this idea and adds to the possibility of player bases and tent set ups, being able to grow your own food, i agree that it takes a long time for things to grow but perhaps transplanting crops to tilled soil might add an added element to survival. Because the game centers around realism and time is 1:1, I am not sure how effective growing would be seeing how servers reset often and it eats most player based locations up. But I like the idea.

Great idea! Really!

This will improve a MUST-need mechanism for this game, a player-survival-camp, whenever happens to humanity, it will stay together and settle camp to survival.

The "growing" problem can be fixed by the last post, transplant already usable plants.

Transplanting would be a solution for growing, and I think it does have potential.

It sounds nice, but you're taking a huuuge risk then, it will probably attract players which will expose, and can get you killed :/

I love this idea, eating nothing but red meat is going to give our characters gout in no time.

I am all for the idea of crops taking months to mature. It would give players a reason to attempt to settle down and create societies. At the very least there should be more food gathering beyond canned food and steak.

This ain't Minecraft.

It's not minecraft it's a survival game.I think that growing food , as some have said gives people a reason to be more permanent and build a post apocalyptic society.

• Like 1

Growing food is pretty damn spot on for a post apocalyptic setting. So is herding animals but, ugh, AI.

And it doesn't have to take a realistic time to grow, nothing in the game takes a realistic amount of time except for the day night cycle. Make it take like 3-4 hours or something.

Growing food is pretty damn spot on for a post apocalyptic setting. So is herding animals but' date=' ugh, AI.

And it doesn't have to take a realistic time to grow, nothing in the game takes a realistic amount of time except for the day night cycle. Make it take like 3-4 hours or something.

[/quote']

I agree I know there was a suggestion to find plants that are already growing to help solve the time issue.

That is one of the things with growing food is time , if this where a stand alone game with dedicated servers that you would always play on would make sense and i would like to see that but it is a dream and dreamers can dream.However I think that harvesting things such as berries from a bush or pumpkins from a patch is more plausible for this mod but there is always potential for this to be a good feature of the game.

This has been suggested before but could have got wiped...

Anyway, a definate yes to being able to scavenge for fruit and veg, but not sure about growing food. How would that be balanced?

I like the idea, though you should only be able to to plant on those big agricultural fields, there needs to be a hefty risk associated with a renewable food source like this. On top of that growing anything edible should take at least eight weeks. Also anyone who stumbles upon the field can harvest and profit from it.

Fields would have to be persistent like tents are. Still a big no to the idea though, wouldnt want fields of cabbage everywhere, fucking hate cabbage!

Fields would have to be persistent like tents are. Still a big no to the idea though' date=' wouldnt want fields of cabbage everywhere, fucking hate cabbage!

[/quote']

Well maybe potatoes or corn is more your style.

Fields would have to be persistent like tents are. Still a big no to the idea though' date=' wouldnt want fields of cabbage everywhere, fucking hate cabbage!

[/quote']

Well maybe potatoes or corn is more your style.

As long as the potatoes are in this variety:

british-chips-650.jpg

:D

I think we should be allowed to harvest and that new foods could be put into the mod.

Fantastic idea. Recently I started to play more stacionary. Less exploring, more tent placing, gathering resources, hunting. Fields of corn to overlook would be great addition.

Also, when you are hiking through Chernarus, you sometimes encounter signs of other players. If you find someone's car you only think about stealing it. But if you find crops, then you would think about maybe joining this group or individual, cause there is no sense in just stealing that.