Sign in to follow this  
n0f8r

trading hubs ala Jericho with NPC enforcers

ala tragically short-lived post-apocalyptic series Jericho

Trading hubs are places to trade items and NEWS and meet up with other players. There could be a sort of news feed map plotting of player deaths (auto populated) - and survivors could discuss.

Has tough NPCs that shoot/hang at anyone who shoots. If attacked by another player and still alive - don't shoot back; dodge/run - leave him to the proctors.

Simple to implement proctor AI and realistic-ish. How would real-life proctors know if you were simply defending yourself, or taking the opportunity of a previous gunshot to attack someone else ...

Costs 1 non-junk item to get inside fenced area - such as beans, water, ammo, or even guns - if you're that desperate to trade, or just get into shelter - eg warmth out of rain, or escape a bandit ...

theoretically possible to raid a trading hub- but should be really really tough. Eg proctors in overwatch like deer hide towers, as well as free roaming ones. Perhaps they could even have flack jackets, hence requiring head shots, or loads and loads body shots to go down...

Not sure if lots of direct voice chat in same area would be problematic for server? But imho - it would be great to to hear actual background noise of real players dickering over goods and discussing bandits, and other news ...

This...

Isn't going to happen.

If you want a trading hub' date=' get people together in a server and set one up.

[/quote']

Huh, not a constructive response. Perhaps you mis-understood, the only thing that would need to be implemented is the toll-gate and the proctors.

Actual trading and discussion would happen over current existing game mechanics - literally talk to them and drop items. Although probably - you'd have to block opening others packs - pick-pocketing would be too hard to work around I think ...

This...

Isn't going to happen.

If you want a trading hub' date=' get people together in a server and set one up.

[/quote']

Yeah, so trade with your out of the game friends only, sounds fun. I don't think there should be NPCs either

The mod just needs some sort of mechanic that makes random strangers trust each other, or it won't ever get pass this deathmatch with zombies stage.

I was thinking in something like this (only the trading hub there shouldn't be NPC's) you know a town/small city where player could go and trade/make groups. A game lobby in a few words lol

However i think it totally breaks down the immersion that the whole map tries to create when you see 50 players with their rifles out in one place spamming the chat with: TRADING RIFLE FOR BJ or EROTIC DANCE FOR BULLETS OR BEANS.

Not mentioning that it might turn into an actual Death city.

Well the only way this would work if you had a radious around the area where weapons would not work. Meaning bullets cannot penetrate. Unfortunatly people might exploit this. This area would have to be HUGE to prevent Bandits from camping the area. So 1 KM by 1 KM

So your Idea of a Free city is somewhat valid, But unrealistic. Im thinking of a small town that is not to far out of the way normal deathfest that player like to have.

As for a Trading post it's too hard to trust anyone.

A friend of mine mentioned a bus service for a couple of cans of food.

However you would become a big target and theres no way to shoot out of a bus so security cannot happen.

Well the only way this would work if you had a radious around the area where weapons would not work.

nope - area is walled on raised ground - so can't shoot into it - except possibly with grenades and heli. But proctors have good guns and fortified positions and potentially flak jackets - so even attacking in heli would be risky.

If you are inside the walls - then soon as you open fire - NPC proctors open fire on you - and hang your corpse by gates.

Otherwise - no restrictions, no special mechanics (except perhaps something to block backpack dipping) - all it is, is a safe(ish) area - that costs a toll to get into.

I like the idea of a safe haven, somewhere you could trade and even hang out.Maybe somewhere with a bar XD.

Some variation of this idea seem surface every other day in this forum. Made a similar proposition myself (that was deleted in last week's roll-back), but have since changed my mind. A NPC policed free-zone to catalyze social bonds between strangers. Sounds nice, but it would spoil the mod. Its a chaotic, cruel and unforgiving player-driven hellhole and that's what makes it compelling. Start padding rough edges and pretty soon you end up with a clunky "rage" or "left4dead".