Carnage752

Good internet, good performance, DayZ still lags. Internet problem, not performance

So my friend just bought a new laptop, one that's alot better than mine. We are playing DayZ, but his is laggy as hell, as is his ArmA 2. So we start googling and trying to fix the performance issues (We assumed it was a performance issue). After a bunch of settings and launcher parameters were added, it did nothing. So we sighed, cried, and got off.

But then he played his ArmA 2 game, and it was not only lag-free, it ran perfectly for him. So clearly the performance updates did work, but this isn't a performance problem. Obviously his DayZ woes were from the internet.

Now heres the thing, his internet is SOO much faster than mine. It took him 1 hour to download ArmA 2 compared to my 6. And I can run DayZ perfectly, performance and connection wise. So whats the problem?

To be clear, again, this is a CONNECTION problem, not performance. We have read (and tried) many performance improvements, and they did work (as evidenced by his ArmA 2 game), but DayZ is still laggy for him. Do we need to open ports for DayZ? Or is there another problem with his DayZ connection that we need to remedy?

Also, we run DayZ through DayZCommander. We have twiddled with the max connections.

Quick and comprehensive help would be appreciated.

High download speeds don't immediately mean stable connections.

It's something I've dealt with often at work..

Having high package loss, and high download speed can occur on the same time it's rare but it happens.

So without specs on his laptop, we can't rule out anything. And with what I've said above having high, or low download speeds is not really important.

If you want to rule out his internet connection check to see how his firewall is set up, to remove firewall blocking as an option.

Then do a ping test to the server. to do that find the server's IP address open up the command prompt then type, "ping [iP address] -t."

Let it run and see how much packages you lose, to end the ping press ctrl C. Let it run for about 15-20 minutes.

Some server providers deny icmp packets (the stuff your sending with a ping test,) if that's the case try a website like google.

It is also important that lag is not the same thing as frame dropping, or low fps. Lag is defined by rubber banding, teleporting, losing connection often etc..

Low fps is generally speaking very chunky gameplay, and seeing he is playing on a laptop I doubt it's the game, even though it's poorly optimized.

Laptops in general just aren't meant for gaming, and those that are usually perform sub-par to pc's.

Hope this helps

Alright, I'll get my friends specs tommorow after school, and I'll post mine right now.

Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard

Model: HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC

Processor: AMD Turion II Ultra Dual-Core Mobile M620 2.50 GHz

Installed Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB

System Type: 64-bit

I would say you're lucky you can play the game at a decent rate with that.

I personally would not have expected that hardware to run the game smoothly, at all.

Oh, and I am referring to lag, not low FPS. He can't run as fast I can, he bounces around a lot, he teleports. I am referring to lag my friend, rest assured.

Well it's hard to find out what people mean these days with lag as the term has become overused, and misused too often.

We'll have to see what comes out of the ping tests.

Oh, and I'm not your friend, buddy. :)

Edited by Duckimus Maximus

But so far do you think porting (assuming this is a connection problem) is our best bet? We will proceed with it regardless, but some outside thought would be appreciated.