MASKOAA

Anyone know how far out Arma 3 engine will render foliage?

I'm talking about ground foliage like high grass and stuff you would see on the forest floor. Currently you think your hidden laying down but anyone looking in your general direction from about 150 feet away is gonna see you b/c on their screen that foliage isn't there. Your given a false sense of being hidden.

From what I can see in Arma 3 videos, it is practically the same with respect to foliage rendering at a distance.

From what I can see in Arma 3 videos' date=' it is practically the same with respect to foliage rendering at a distance.

[/quote']

Damn...I guess its just one of those things that would be to resource heavy but it really only makes ghillie suits useful from close distance.

From what I can see in Arma 3 videos' date=' it is practically the same with respect to foliage rendering at a distance.

[/quote']

Damn...I guess its just one of those things that would be to resource heavy but it really only makes ghillie suits useful from close distance.

Well, you still can blend with nearby bush, so it is useful on long distances as well. Heck, even if you are staying in the open field, you can be mistaken for the aforementioned bush. :)

I doubt the render distance would be much farther. Even with the foliage being 2d sprites it's still extremely demanding on your CPU to render that much, not to mention how the foliage affects the lighting.

Yeah I wonder if there's a way to change the way the ghillie suit is rendered at range. Like it matches the colour/texture of the ground/grass at long range. SO you kind of 'appear' just like the foiage when getting in closer (but then compensating for the long grass being rendered).

Grass in ArmAII works this way - it's rendered normally up to 200m or so. After that if you go prone or even stand in a tall grass engine renders your as if you were drowning in terrain meaning depending on grass height you can be invisible from long range in you're proning. Yes, BIS has thought of this and this was even in ArmA.

In Arma 3 they have swimming.

Would you make this your main selling point if you had anything else?

BINGO