Sign in to follow this  
patluk@sasktel.net

5,000 daily new unique players?

Every morning it seems I see the unique characters climb from 195,000 to 200,000, from 200,000 to 205,000, and today its over 210,000.

Does this mean that each day 5,000 people or so are buying ARMA2 and making DayZ characters? If that is accurate that is pretty amazing. However I wonder how the hive is going to hold up to all this load, and since each server only holds about 50 people, that would mean new servers need to go up on - what seems to me - a daily basis.

We might be in for some bumpy times ahead!

Although DayZ could always use more servers you have to take where these players are registering from. Around the world. Players are always joining and leaving the servers and constantly recycling people in and out. Someone will always have the chance to play at all times of the day. So far, there is always a server open but I think even I'll have to start up some servers myself.

Yeah, I work as an EA for an ISP, so I know how subscription rates don't necessary = capacity. 5,000 more people might have signed up, but that might only mean about 20 people concurrently at peak hours. There is certainly capacity everywhere I look right now.

However, getting data to and from the hive is sketchy sometimes, and we have no idea how their hardware is configured or how much capacity it has. It already sometimes takes 5 seconds to loot a can of beans, but we'll see how this 1.7.1 patch streamlines things.