Sign in to follow this  
hollisbrown

Creating your own buildings?

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this is the right board for my question, but I couldn't find a better place.

I was wondering: How can you create your own buildings for DayZ? I know there is a model editor called Oxygen2, but can you use any other software to do the construction?

* Could I use sketchUp to create a new building?

* In which format is a DayZ building stored?

* Is there a list of recommended measures for wall height/width, stair height, door width etc?

* Are there any specifications for textures?

it would be great if there was more information about the topic, since the dev team seems to like the idea of user generated content. I mean, you can never have enough buildings! Share your wisdom, folks!

Alright, guess I'll look there!

I'm still convinced that the topic is relevant for DayZ, because if there was some sort of introduction to modeling, there would be a huge variety of user generated buildings in no time!

Modelling for the Arma 2 engine is surprisingly long-winded as far as I can tell.

Scripting and mission making is relatively easy and quite powerful, but original content creation for Arma 2 and thus DayZ is nowhere near as easy as it is for say, any Unreal engine game. I'm not bad with UnrealEd and Blender but I gave up my mapping attempt for Arma 2/DayZ...it's just overly long-winded and I can't really dedicate 6 months of work for a map.

Check Mondkalb's tutorial

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Mondkalb's_Addon_Tutorial

Thanks for the link 10BAG! Oxygen really looks like a mess, but maybe there's a way to do the construction or even the texturing in sketchUp and export it to oxygen? This way, more people could design buildings and share them with map developers...

Would be easier with 3ds max as it has many export formats and extensions.

Also, the material editor in 3ds max would make the texturing easy.