(OCN)Vortech

The importance of IP Address Inclusion in Reports by George Castanza

Initial visit.. aww global ban :lol:

06:07:12 : Player #37 George Castanza (108.196.191.148:2324) connected
06:07:13 : Player #37 George Castanza - GUID: 6c7afac65e0aec7fd41b7bd219cd5a38 (unverified)
06:07:13 : Verified GUID (6c7afac65e0aec7fd41b7bd219cd5a38) of player #37 George Castanza
06:07:13 : Player #37 George Castanza (6c7afac65e0aec7fd41b7bd219cd5a38) has been kicked by BattlEye: Global Ban #6c7a

22 seconds later, typograhical error

06:07:34 : Player #37 George Castanza (108.196.191.148:2324) connected
06:07:35 : Player #37 George Castanza - GUID: fd81de4e3d00dd3271d697ffc3c0085a (unverified)
06:07:35 : Player #37 George Castanza (fd81de4e3d00dd3271d697ffc3c0085a) has been kicked by BattlEye: Invalid GUID

Bought a bad key ehh?

06:08:14 : Player #39 George Castanza (108.196.191.148:2324) connected
06:08:15 : Player #39 George Castanza - GUID: 2479027ba6fa29127f4168a69123f56b (unverified)
06:08:16 : Player #39 George Castanza (2479027ba6fa29127f4168a69123f56b) has been kicked by BattlEye: Invalid GUID

Old key long banned by the Community Ban List :P

06:08:38 : Player #14 George Castanza (108.196.191.148:2324) connected
06:08:39 : Player #14 George Castanza - GUID: c3d7d252ada47849a198dd416a11a7d2 (unverified)
06:08:39 : Player #14 George Castanza (c3d7d252ada47849a198dd416a11a7d2) has been kicked by BattlEye: Admin Ban (W 4d9b2182 0x0f44d938)

Damn that key seller ripped somebody off!

06:09:19 : Player #8 George Castanza (108.196.191.148:2324) connected
06:09:20 : Player #8 George Castanza - GUID: f76fe8eb9433761844172d4c70279b1a (unverified)
06:09:20 : Player #8 George Castanza (f76fe8eb9433761844172d4c70279b1a) has been kicked by BattlEye: Invalid GUID

IP Ban

06:09:39 : Player #8 George Castanza (108.196.191.148:2324) connected
06:09:39 : Player #8 George Castanza (-) has been kicked by BattlEye: Admin Ban (Stop that!)

Try harder.

06:12:18 : Player #16 George Castanza (108.196.191.148:2324) connected
06:12:18 : Player #16 George Castanza (-) has been kicked by BattlEye: Admin Ban (Stop that!)

This llittle baddie is persistent and he isn't the only one:

Alt username xXGuyXx, good read here (https://code.google..../detail?id=1466). It wouldn't have been possible without you and that IP! Thanks again OP!

We need to have a serious talk about the new policy on IP addresses in reports. If it wasn't for the OP of that thread I linked I would have never found that troll Mozzy. We can see by the posts above how determined these pathetic cheaters can be.. We need to share information not help the cheaters grief our servers. IP addresses are not private property the identity behind their often dynamically generated numbers are. With every connection to a server your IP & GUID are flashed in-game to everyone.. Every website you visit gets your IP and much worse.

We need to revoke the recent IP posting policy change on these forums, admins have a job to do. Allow us to do it.

• Like 1

+1

I started IP banning every person that logs in with a global ban.

A good portion of them reattempt with an invalid key (from some $3-5 key shop) or try again with a completely fresh one.

It's absolutely astounding, I have proof, but I feel that *** are so accessible that people are more easily able to be tempted. Key stealing needs to be fixed.

A really easy way to shut it down is to simple 'steal' the way WoW did it.

Register your key to an email (ie activate)

If you log on with the same key/different IP, it's suspended and must be reactivated via that email.

I also agree that IP should NOT be confidential. They are easily found and what scripters are exposing themselves to by accessing 'hacking' websites is far worse then what can come out of these forums.

BI/Battleye registrations + IP banning please!

You want to stop script kiddies, cut of their supply of cheap accessible keys

• Like 1

+1

I started IP banning every person that logs in with a global ban.

A good portion of them reattempt with an invalid key (from some $3-5 key shop) or try again with a completely fresh one.

It's absolutely astounding, I have proof, but I feel that *** are so accessible that people are more easily able to be tempted. Key stealing needs to be fixed.

A really easy way to shut it down is to simple 'steal' the way WoW did it.

Register your key to an email (ie activate)

If you log on with the same key/different IP, it's suspended and must be reactivated via that email.

I also agree that IP should NOT be confidential. They are easily found and what scripters are exposing themselves to by accessing 'hacking' websites is far worse then what can come out of these forums.

BI/Battleye registrations + IP banning please!

You want to stop script kiddies, cut of their supply of cheap accessible keys

Breaking news, people have dynamic IP addresses.

• Like 2

Breaking news, people have dynamic IP addresses.

True, some people do however the point you're overlooking here is that it's about ROI for in the eyes of the cheater. Each hurdle we place in front of them acts as a deterrent, as they pile up the chances of the cheater retrying entry decreases drastically. This isn't theory, this is a fact, and it works quite well. I mean sure they might come back in a few weeks with a new IP and GUID (we've had one occurrence of this) but at that point it falls back on a game of cat & mouse. If this truly is worse case scenario, then I welcome it because our players aren't effected as often. In all seriousness the number of cheaters with dynamic IPs or the means to utilize a VPN are VERY VERY small. Again, this is not theory.. this is based on our logs and thorough utilization of CBL submissions.

Banning an IP in DayZ is an effective means of protection for your servers when encountering malicious determined cheaters. I'd say 85% of the time you will prevail, these script kiddies/private hack buyers just don't care enough to keep at it. They hit the wall a few times and move along to a less protected server, simple as that.

The point of my thread wasn't to rehash the theory of IP banning and it's effectiveness on a game server, the point was to open a dialogue about bringing IP addresses back to the forums. Every admin doesn't participate in the CBL, but these forums act as a catch-all. The more resources admins have to search against to identify suspect players the better. In a perfect world every admin would take the time to give-back to the CBL and or participate in it but unfortunately this isn't the case.

• Like 1

It takes a litteral 15 seconds to change an IP, it by no means is effective in stopping anything.

Until we have a loader locked to hardware then we MIGHT stop some of the script kiddies, but even then it's easy to spoof your HWID or change it with a simple swap of your ram.

In all seriousness the number of cheaters with dynamic IPs..

You're kidding, right?

I'd guess 80%+ EASY of the player base use dynamic IP's...

Mostly every German user has a dynamic IP (except the cable-users) ^^ Weird assumptions by Vortech here~~ funny :)

It takes a litteral 15 seconds to change an IP, it by no means is effective in stopping anything.

Until we have a loader locked to hardware then we MIGHT stop some of the script kiddies, but even then it's easy to spoof your HWID or change it with a simple swap of your ram.

While it may be that simple for some our results have shown otherwise.

You're kidding, right?

I'd guess 80%+ EASY of the player base use dynamic IP's...

Not at all, while you're guessing.. again I'm speaking from firsthand experience.

Mostly every German user has a dynamic IP (except the cable-users) ^^ Weird assumptions by Vortech here~~ funny :)

While "mostly every German" may have dynamic IPs (broad assumption) all do not.. Regardless this theory would be regional at best, luckily for us we must not see many German script kiddies, because again.. Our results speak for themselves.

Edit - Also let me quote this on it's own.

The point of my thread wasn't to rehash the theory of IP banning and it's effectiveness on a game server, the point was to open a dialogue about bringing IP addresses back to the forums. Every admin doesn't participate in the CBL, but these forums act as a catch-all. The more resources admins have to search against to identify suspect players the better. In a perfect world every admin would take the time to give-back to the CBL and or participate in it but unfortunately this isn't the case.

Edited by (OCN)Vortech

Not at all, while you're guessing.. again I'm speaking from firsthand experience.

Guessing?

No, I'm not guessing. Think of all the major ISP's in the US: Comcast, TWC, ATT/SBC, etc, ALL dynamic IP's by default. The majority of residential ISP's use dynamic IP's, that's not a "guess", that's fact.