Sign in to follow this  
cat (DayZ)

Custom maps

Read some rumors about custom maps in Dayz and I would have some questions about this:

1. Does Dayz currently allow custom maps (or are they considered hacks)?

2. Will Dayz retail or mod version support custom user made maps?

3. 2 is true, will they work like in Counter-Strike, where any server can run any custom map or is there some official channel needed to have a map working and approved

I am asking all of this to see wether it will be worth to start learning to use the mapping tools for ARMA2. Any official response from a developer would be very appreciated.

1. The DayZ "mod" has been given the green light for the community to begin adding new map content, changing the mission files, and content. This is all to be done on private hives. Many private hives are specific to one server, and some private hives encompass a group of servers. Any additions / changes to the mod made by the community will be evaluated by the dev team for inclusion into the standalone release.

2. I don't believe this has been announced, we will have to wait and see.

3. You can definitely develop a map for the mod right now (since it is currently switching over to being a community driven model) but until we know if the retail version is going to allow custom maps (and I doubt it) we can only wait for more information to be released.

Edited by SystemiK

1. What are hives?

2. Assuming I have a map I would like to introduce into the wild, how would that work? Post it on forums and see if admins pick it up?

3. Is there some official statement on that matter?

Is item spawning manually placed on the landscape or does it depend on the buildings placed? The loot tables suggest it spawns items automatically based on the object.

Was reading through this topic and now I am still confused.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/63701-lingor-island-chit-chat/

Could we get some official statement on wether custom made maps will be supported or not? By supported I mean anything from "not considered a filthy hack" to "included into the game at soem point if the quality is awesome".

- Rocket is unlikely to support custom maps.

- Rocket is supporting customization of the Cherno map. He wants new additions and features to be added to his mod as he wants to focus on developing the standalone.

- Rocket doesn't support Lingor, as its not his, but hes somewhat overlooking it as it is keeping the player base active with different/new content.

- Playing Lingor was frowned upon by the DayZ team at one stage but since its so popular and because of the current situation in the game its becoming more "acceptable".

Any of this issues besides, be aware that building a map with decent size and decent quality all by your own is a lot of work.