Sign in to follow this  
Preddie

Still unsure how tents work

Hello im kinda new to DayZ and I have a question, I just found 2 tents from a dead guy in NWAF and I set 1 up fairly close to the Airfield to store some items. I then get a message that the server is about to restart within a few minutes so I pressed "Save Old Camping Tent", after filling it, I set up the other tent near it, few seconds later my session was lost because of the reset, but I did NOT save it. Few moments later, I logged back in and both of my tents were still there! Even the one I didnt save.

So how do tents work exactly? Me and my buddies tried to find a server with 1 restart per day, cause we didnt want to save tents every 3 hours per day to save the contents..

So, what does Saving Tents actually do? Saves the tent? The contents? Or both? And for how long does one "Save Old Camping Tent" last? For 1 reset or couple? Cause I dont know why people would join a server with 6 resets per day.. You cant have any vehicles and/or tents then (prosuming vehicles work the same way..) Because, who is crazy enough to save every 3 hours per day? Im really confused about this and I hope somebody can shine some light in this for me. =)

Regards,

Preddie

When you save it, it saves the items inside of it. They are only supposed to last a few days unless they get saved again but I don't think that is working correctly. You only need to save it once with the items in it you want stored.. Sometimes tents disappear and reappear after restarts, refilled with items again and such..

• Like 1

So you dont need to save it every restart if theres 6 on the said server? Just once every 2-3 days, regardless the 6 resets?

Tents:

You use them to store items, up to 5 backpacks(That can have items in.), 10 weapons and/or tools, and 50 general items.

They must be placed on flat-land. (So not inside a wall or anything.)

Tents will only last as long as players use them. If a tent is un-touched for 7days, it will disappear.

Tents should be saved at least 3 to 5 times to ensure the server gets the message.

---Saving a tent stores all items that were in the tent UPON SAVE.

---These saved items will re-spawn back inside the tent at every server restart. (So placing a DMR in the tent, saving the tent, and removing the DMR. Will result on the DMR being duplicated next server restart.(As You'll be carrying one, and one will appear in the tent.))

Tents can only be 'picked up' by the person who them down, during that lifetime! So if you place a tent and die, you will not able to pick it up.

Only tent owners can save the tent. So if anyone besides the owner saves the tent, it will not work. Tents will reset to how they were when the tent owner placed them.

What I consider to be bugs with current tents:

*Flattening a tent does not delete it, it will re-build itself upon server restart with all the items it had when it was last saved (As if it had never been flattened.)

*After picking a tent up, the server will still generate it on restart. (So say you place a tent, put items in, save it, remove the items, then pick the tent back up. On next restart the tent will re-build itself with all the saved items inside. As if it had never been emptied and picked up.)

• Like 1

Thats some usefull information, thanks!

But, it still doesnt answer my question, let me give you a scenario;

Lets say, I put up a tent with high end gear in a server with 6 restarts per day, what if im working or unable to come online to save it all those 6 restarts, is my tent gone or does it stay there?

This is the only thing I dont understand and this is what stops me and a few friends of mine to put tents down and gathering items.

Thanks in advance, you still get Beans from me for the extra information I didnt know. =)

Thats some usefull information, thanks!

But, it still doesnt answer my question, let me give you a scenario;

Lets say, I put up a tent with high end gear in a server with 6 restarts per day, what if im working or unable to come online to save it all those 6 restarts, is my tent gone or does it stay there?

This is the only thing I dont understand and this is what stops me and a few friends of mine to put tents down and gathering items.

Thanks in advance, you still get Beans from me for the extra information I didnt know. =)

Tents don't need to be saved for each restart. They will stay there. They only need to be saved if you want the items to be in them after the restart. You can save it once a day or couple of days, as long as the items were in it when you saved. The items in the tent for the last restart, if it hasn't been saved over, will keep reappearing after each restart.

Edited by terrex

(New to tents too)

If i put up a tent with stuff in it and save it, can people take things from it? I guess so but then if the server restarts will the tent have all the items again?

So if I save my tent with, lets say a DMR on the first reset and I go on a holiday of 5 days, the DMR would still be in the same tent if I came back? Presumingly if it hasnt been stolen or my tent destroyed by that ofcourse.

And do vehicles work the same way like this?

(New to tents too)

If i put up a tent with stuff in it and save it, can people take things from it? I guess so but then if the server restarts will the tent have all the items again?

Someone else can take items. Don't really feel like explaining how the tent dupe works..

So if I save my tent with, lets say a DMR on the first reset and I go on a holiday of 5 days, the DMR would still be in the same tent if I came back? Presumingly if it hasnt been stolen or my tent destroyed by that ofcourse.

And do vehicles work the same way like this?

Yep. Those are 5 long days for the DMR though.

Edited by terrex
  • Like 1

Ahh thanks! That is what I wanted to know! And please dont explain duping items, I want to play this game legit as it supposed to. =)

Thanks again!

The new patch update has made placing tents easy you can put it almost anywhere including inside walls.

• Like 1