tobiassolem

Why you should play on a private hive

I've been playing DayZ for about three months now and for about 95% of that time I've been on the official, public hive. I never experienced the DayZ that some people speak warmly about, before everyone started duping, hacking and killing each other on sight not only most of the time, but all the time. So after having fun but more or less accepting the random deaths via hostile teleportation, finding tents with ghillies, as50'ies, silenced m4 etc. pretty much everywhere it started to get to me. Everywhere I read that the game was "too easy".

Well, the game isn't "too easy", the duping and hacking is making a completely different game - and I've just found the holy graal, SE9 and SE10 (zombies.nu). First of all you have to register to get access to the hive. That in and of itself removes a lot of hackers. Second of all, the hive is only running on two servers, meaning ghosting is pretty much nonexistent. Now, I realize that there are lots of private hives like this, but Tansien (who runs SE10 and 9) has improved upon the mod by adding features according to my needs, such as:

* No more combat logging = your body stays in game for 30 seconds

* No AS50 or L85 = no more noobstation snipers

* No item duping = Tansien has made tents work properly (rocket should hire this guy tbqfh)

* Weapons do full damage = Rifles are truly deadly, just like IRL, they are no longer nerfed like what was done in one of the beta patches (pistols are still the same)

* Vehicles respawn properly = No more hiding the vehicles so no one can use them

* Vehicles that are moved outside the map boundries explode

etc. etc.

This private hive is amazing. And playing on this hive is, bottom line, a completely different, better experience than on the public hive. No more hackers, no more combat logging, no more "everyone has a ghillie and an AS50 and a silenced M4/L85" because duping and tents/vehicles/backpacks is possible.

There are some issues though:

- Only one server (two iterations)

- 54 slots that pretty much always are full

- Lots of lag (in spite of great hardware)

This can of course be improved upon by donating some cashdough to Tansien so he can improve upon the hive.

Head over to his zombies.nu and read more about it, register and try DayZ at its potential.

• Like 1

This is all good, but not the real DayZ I want to play. I hate the thought that a server admin controls DayZ more than the devs!

This is all good, but not the real DayZ I want to play. I hate the thought that a server admin controls DayZ more than the devs!

To be fair, the dev's have gone to great lengths to lock the DayZ mod down with an iron fist up until now, but Rocket himself has also said that the main reason for that was so that he could "prove" the strength of his mod to the development community at large. He has since stated that now that it's success has been noted and it's future has been secured that he can use the mod as an experimental platform which can be experimented on by the community in a way that will feed new concepts, content, and even code into the standalone.

Don't let yourself get locked into the past. Dayz mod is going wild wild west (this is what the dev's want), and dayz standalone is going to go exactly where the devs want it to go, with the benefit of sucking up some great ideas from the comunity along the way. This is simply a win win situation, and giving server admins total control is already spinning off new ideas such as Lingor Island, Fallujah, and even new mission files with completely new in game items and code.

Rocket has let his bird fly. You should be very excited about that, you are about to see the community do some truly amazing things with this mod that they have been given control over, be glad you have a front row seat and one day you can look back and say "I was there, right in the middle of it all".

I think rocket was probably more worried that it would be stolen, now that everyone knows who he is and that the mod is his, he can let it go practically open source.

Do you know if there are any similar servers to Tansien's? His are pretty much full every time I checked, making it hard to play with friends.

Edit: One based in EU would be best.

Edited by kierono10

So you want to play the "real" DayZ servers which has rampant hackers, combat loggers and duping. Sounds wise.