Sign in to follow this  
WalkerDown (DayZ)

Separate the community?

It's days.. weeks.. it'll be months. I think whenever we can think about a brilliant idea, there won't be any magical solution to the Survivors VS Bandit debate. Anything we can apply will penalize this or that gaming style, none of the parties will be ever happy about any solution, because (i think) a solution simply doesn't exists: you cannot change the mind of someone oriented to kill anyone else, this is HIS way of get fun; and you cannot change the mind of a so called "carebear", this is HIS playing style, and both cannot "live" on the same servers.

How other games handled this different gaming style? They adopted the server "flags".. it's similar to the never-ending debate about hard-core servers VS casual gaming servers, they are different, none of them is the "right" way to play, everyone choses what he prefers and everyone is happy.

Now if a server separation is not possible (due to the persistance..), the only remaining possibility is to create "safe zones", so if you're looking for some thrill you'll intentionally enjoy it; if you're more in the mood of forming a community to survive to the zombie apocalypse, you'll stay in these areas.

Before any reply: i don't like the idea of playing two different games.. but i dunno how we can find a solution that would "please" anyone (or possibile none of the parties). And anything you do, you cannot stop ppl from spawn and shooting in the air, die, and respawn, die and respawn forever.. i know anyone is free to do anything he wants, but at the same time we should find a solution to preserve the "atmosphere" (the immersion) of who want to play this game like a "simulator", rather than an FPS/shooter.

This way the PvP'ers will continue to enjoy their fun, they won't be penalized, and they won't "disturb" other players (different) enjoyment.

Plus if any of the parties will change their mind, they can simply switch the "areas"...

Problem is that it would be easier to gear up in a safe area. Which would make the bandits join that area to gear up and then once they have enough they will then go to the non-safe area.

Thus it will create and area which would solely be PvP as they would only be in that place once they have a powerful enough armoury. Which in turn ruins the game for people who like the tense moment of knowing whether someone was friendly or not, because surely everyone in the non-safe area would just be killing everyone.

Your forgetting about the people in the middle. It isn't just "Bandit" or "Survivor".

Essentially, create a PvE only system run by its own HIVE, so they can't take progress into PvP servers. This is partially what minecraft did and it quelled the griefer issue significantly, while also allowing players run full no-rules PvP. As long as it doesn't connect to the main HIVE, I see no problem with it. At the end of the day, it's the truest freedom of all: The freedom to play your way or play the DayZ way.

And hey, like I said, it's no strain on rocket if PvE only players find it boring, then he gets to throw as many "I told your so"'s as possible.

Sorry, no posts allowed from this type guys:

"I also know how to adjust my brightness so I can see somewhat well at night"

Next please. :)

Yuppo, well the possibility are a couple.. you "phisically" separate the community.. but i don't like much the idea to be honest, it's like making two different games where they won't communicate to each other; or (better, imo) the "easy life" problem in the safe zones could be handled with a loot spawn differentiation.

In example in the safe zone you won't find those military loot, but you can find food more easily.. and stuff like this.

Also your "humanity" can influece your access to the safe zones.. so in example you should have a certain humanity (not so low) to go there, it could simulate to being accepted by a semi-pacific community.

Ideas are endlessy.. but any of them requires major modifications, so they wouldn't be around the corner. Anyway i think it's better to start to think about it from now, instead of concentrating only on temporary work-around and fixes (like the bandit skins alternatives..).

zombies are exceedingly easy to deal with

gearing up is extremely easy once you know where to go and you can only repair so many hueys before it is old news

and on top of that, the most exciting parts of this game involve uncertain/hostile human interaction

so what exactly would be fun about a pve-only server in this game to even make it worth the time to code server flags for it?

This way the PvP'ers will continue to enjoy their fun

Nope. Most of the fun comes from killing folks like you.

It would be pretty hard to kill folks like me.. for what reason, it's pretty easy to understand. :)

However this is not about not being killed (it's part of the fun), but you showed why the more mature players doesn't wanna "fight" with ppl like you, it's because this type of childish behaviour ruins the "immersion" (killing for a reason, is different than killing because you're used to play only the traditional FPS/shooters).

It's like enjoying a flying simulator, and then suddendly see someone like you flying like superman... i know it may sounds fun for you, but it's not for the other part. :)

It's two different type of enjoyment.. none of them is the "right" one, it's just different. ;)

Destroys the whole feel of the game. It's supposed to be unforgiving, nervy, anxious and hard to trust people.

It's an apocalypse. I hope will never happen for this game unless rocket allows servers their own rules etc. Which won't come anytime soon and i'm glad of it. The reason people play this game is for them heart pumping moments of confrontation and uncertainty.

People who run around the coast shooting zombies and having bean wars are easy to avoid if you know some simple movement and angle checks and no-one can ever spawn camp the coast (its HUGE).

It's easy to avoid the confrontation if you really want to and have the minor skills/common sense to do so.

in that case why not just have pvp servers [as they are now] and non pvp servers with friendly fire off/reflected...

Avoid ppl means playing single player. In fact because of this (shoot on sight) the game is turned to be boring, there's no more RPG, you have only two alternatives: play alone (you don't need this, you can play the SP version), or playing the deat-match ... both are boring.

What i'm missing are the first days: thrilling moments of fight "bad" guys around but at the same time those moments where you find friendly guys to meet and join for minutes (or hours) for a common objective.. this last part has been lost.

PS: we have other topics discussing this, this thread is more about find a solution rather than deciding if being a bandit is "correct" or not.

in that case why not just have pvp servers [as they are now] and non pvp servers with friendly fire off/reflected...

Because then it would be much more easy to find the loot on the non-PvP servers and use it on the PvP servers, so whenever a separation could be discussed, the consequences of it should be accounted as well.

Simply put, just go ahead and make a PvE server without the HIVE, there is really no reason to NOT do this because it accomplishes a number of things:

PvE players can all play PvE, get bored, leave.

Banditry would require more skill because PvE players wouldn't be there to give them ego strokes.

So yeah, rocket wouldn't need to send out HIVE updates because they wouldn't have them. There would be no saving, you simply get on and do whatever you want. This is already being done on a couple unofficial servers, and really I think making it an official system would shut the PvP debate once and for all.

Don't like PvP? Go play on a PvE server, no judgement necessary, your progress just won't save or transfer. I mean really, it's just DayZ Armory mode, rocket shouldn't have to do anything.

Sorry' date=' no posts allowed from this type guys:

"I also know how to adjust my brightness so I can see somewhat well at night"

Next please. :)

The fuck are you talking about? You searched my post history to try and find something to attack? And yes, I turn my brightness up so I can see at night because the ingame lighting is currently broken because of a patch.

This is the reason i'm glad we have a dev with balls, and will tell you brain dead palsy having dickwads that your ideas are about as useful as a football bat. How many times does he have to say that he's not going to restrict any style of gameplay, this includes *gasp* PVP. Saying that killing another player is 'childish'? You come into a military sim based game complaining about that?

The fuck are you talking about? You searched my post history to try and find something to attack?

No' date=' it was your last post the moment i checked... just trying to figure the player type you are.

And yes, I turn my brightness up so I can see at night because the ingame lighting is currently broken because of a patch.

Shocking news for you: you can't do it anymore with the next patch.

Now return in topic or go away. Thank you.

One of the easiest ways to bring back that kind of communication is by bringing back the ability to join a group on the server

this is an example from another mod called project reality

If you brought this style of ability to join groups you could effectively find a group.

This wouldn't add or remove anything from the game, you could join a group and talk and then shoot everyone in the group, so it adds more possibilities of proper banditry.

it also allows players to talk in group chat without the need for teamspeak which = more immersion as players who aren't in the group can hear other players talking on group in direct chat.

so overall it adds to the mod, and its already implemented (base game) it just needs an interface and some buttons and your set.

The fuck are you talking about? You searched my post history to try and find something to attack?

No' date=' it was your last post the moment i checked... just trying to figure the player type you are.

And yes, I turn my brightness up so I can see at night because the ingame lighting is currently broken because of a patch.

Shocking news for you: you can't do it anymore with the next patch.

Now return in topic or go away. Thank you.

Seeing as you lack any form of reading comprehension let me make it simple for you : The ingame lighting is currently broken with the beta patch, it makes the game completely pitch black except for the sky even with gamma/brightness maxed. So your insightful look into what 'type of player I am' is null and void, much like your idea.

No April, No care.

They wouldn't play dayz at all after a while. They'd play something else. That something else could also be a PvE variant...not for me but it could lead to more players playing some kind of DayZ/ArmA2 instead of something by EA. Maybe that's a good thing.