Sign in to follow this  
T-Pag

How to incorporate a more team oriented endgame.

No matter how the standalone turns out, it will be without a doubt better than alpha, but it can also be so much more.

I believe if you give the players a true sandbox, castles will rise from the sand. Incorporate more features to form barricades and light structures, allow for more items needed than one player can manage to scavenge and people will strive more towards team-work and factions. This will create more "home" servers for people, and as players interact for control of neighboring turf factions will surely form.

Toss in a few NPC hotspots with demanding loot, that literally takes 15 people to enter. (Military Bases and their prized possesions) And watch as the small skirmishes at the airfields transform into huge battles for control of the server.

This game can learn a lot from Ultima Online, a MMORPG from the 90's that was a full loot rpg. The game is still played today, over 4/5 expansions by hundreds of thousands of players. If you can give the players run of the server, while allowing a balanced and strategic system of grind and teamwork you can help the players create their own communities within servers, which in fact will give them the hook and keep them coming back.

Ive witnessed 40+ players go head to head over Npc loot spawns on that game, This game has the potential to top it by ten,

And of course, solos can still thrive by ambushing loaded characters or good deeds of the larger clans.

Edited by T-Pag
  • Like 6

No matter how the standalone turns out, it will be without a doubt better than alpha, but it can also be so much more.

I believe if you give the players a true sandbox, castles will rise from the sand. Incorporate more features to form barricades and light structures, allow for more items needed than one player can manage to scavenge and people will strive more towards team-work and factions. This will create more "home" servers for people, and as players interact for control of neighboring turf factions will surely form.

Toss in a few NPC hotspots with demanding loot, that literally takes 15 people to enter. (Military Bases and their prized possesions) And watch as the small skirmishes at the airfields transform into huge battles for control of the server.

This game can learn a lot from Ultima Online, a MMORPG from the 90's that was a full loot rpg. The game is still played today, over 4/5 expansions by hundreds of thousands of players. If you can give the players run of the server, while allowing a balanced and strategic system of grind and teamwork you can help the players create their own communities within servers, which in fact will give them the hook and keep them coming back.

Ive witnessed 40+ players go head to head over Npc loot spawns on that game, This game has the potential to top it by ten,

And of course, solos can still thrive by ambushing loaded characters or good deeds of the larger clans.

ULTIMA ONLINE!!!!!!!!!!!

I gave you my beans as soon as you mentioned UO

Played from 98-03 on Lake Superior!

FUCK TRAMMEL!!!!!

Edited by Dumah
  • Like 1

But, Surviving NPC's would more than likely ruin the game just as they would ruin the current mod.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, i still believe the world should remain dead. I just think making high-end gear take more teamwork than sneakwork will form a stronger community. If our world turned to zombies in a matter of a week, military bases would be swarming with undead soldiers and civilians who took refuge before the plague attacked.

Put smaller military outposts with mid-grade and a rare chance here and there for something special and you have a stepping stone for people to prepare for the Airfields.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, i still believe the world should remain dead. I just think making high-end gear take more teamwork than sneakwork will form a stronger community. If our world turned to zombies in a matter of a week, military bases would be swarming with undead soldiers and civilians who took refuge before the plague attacked.

Put smaller military outposts with mid-grade and a rare chance here and there for something special and you have a stepping stone for people to prepare for the Airfields.

No matter how many zombies you dot around the place it will still be relatively easy to move through the airfield unless there's another player there. I rarely visit the airfields anymore but if I do, I simply run through them, zombies are so nerfed right now that as long as you're good enough to not run directly into walls, you can escape them easily. As well as that I generally spend more clips helping out teammates in trouble than actually saving myself... so a group of 15 would just be more of a hassle.

I believe that after the addition of building bases, the rest can be filled in with the players themselves and VERY easily start a community in a small area.

If the ability to holster your weapon instead of lowering it, it would further add to this, as you could easily force someone to holster their weapons before coming in.

If there was also a way to trade items effectively, the community could even have an economy. It's fascinating how such simple features can snowball into a huge impact. I believe that there is plenty of focus on grouping up early game (medical assistance, safety in numbers, especially when unarmed, etc) But if you're like me and not into PvP, there is no squad work to be done. There's nothing to defend, nothing to do besides scavenge.

Edited by Rage VG
  • Like 1

I believe that after the addition of building bases, the rest can be filled in with the players themselves and VERY easily start a community in a small area.

If the ability to holster your weapon instead of lowering it, it would further add to this, as you could easily force someone to holster their weapons before coming in.

If there was also a way to trade items effectively, the community could even have an economy. It's fascinating how such simple features can snowball into a huge impact. I believe that there is plenty of focus on grouping up early game (medical assistance, safety in numbers, especially when unarmed, etc) But if you're like me and not into PvP, there is no squad work to be done. There's nothing to defend, nothing to do besides scavenge.

Yea, thats how i feel as well. I could go on a ten page rant on how to turn this game from a scavenging mod to a full blown online world.

Anything to do with economy or trading needs to be set up by the players and not a forced 'feature' within the game.

If bases do become prevelent then they should also be magnets for zombie hordes, a la res evil. I am talking about hundreds of superbly aggressive walking dead that will eventually wear down and smash through any barricades, requiring much repair with hard to get materials.

And really, let's get rid of the high end military gear. Seriously, I was in the army for 8 years, went to war, and never saw anything more lethal than a gpmg and definitely not anything anti-material like the as50.

With the addition of bases, economy would indeed be filled in by the player community.

Making the base a zombie hot spot is not a bad idea, but i think it would have to be done right, with random hordes attacking throughout the day, as player ran towns would become hot spots for bandits and clan battles, adding too many zombies might make them non manageable. But a system of time vs decay would need to be put in place as well. And a set distance from towns where building can not be performed. (Or perhaps have a few towns that can be rebuilt from the destruction)

Regarding Fishistwonk's post, remember that we are talking about the standalone, and the revised zombie codes should fix their brokenness.

Will be implemented in form of underground structures

Rocket has stated that he will want nil NPCs - he wants it to me more focused on players.

O,...Kay...yeah, I have no idea what you mean... Rocket has already stated that he wants more reasons to co-operate.

Anything to do with economy or trading needs to be set up by the players and not a forced 'feature' within the game.

No no no, this game is not eve online, the economy has broken down in dayz it's about survival not trading.

No no no, this game is not eve online, the economy has broken down in dayz it's about survival not trading.

Some bandits will let you trade your life for your gun.... why not trade a magazine for 2 cantines?

Besides, trading can not be forced on players, its something that happens willingly between people, it is already present in the current game...

Ive always thought making Zeds much more difficult around Military spawns would be great. I can get in there and loot everything on my own without the slightest of difficulty. I want to be challenged and not be able to get into areas like this at all without help. I don't like the idea of adding anything unrealistic like "super Zombies" just make them larger in numbers and maybe more detection so its not possible to get into key military areas without firepower.

I have not played any of the games most RPG players have so I have limited understanding of many of the concepts, please bare with me.

I always thought Bartering would be one of the first things in an Apocalypse, After of course building a safe area? Groups of like minde people will, Barter, But finding a like minded currency may differ from Area to area, Resources willing.

So I kinda get the gist but, Wouldn't the Concept be when you leave your server to explore, you would have to use a different map? connecting to another map on the same Hive? (as you would have to save your player info)

Also when you make communities, How would you get over the Zed spawning? In your relative area there would be triggers when players approach, so wouldn't some resources dictate a steady requirement of say, ammo?

I love the idea of Player Buildings, being able to build a "batcave" would be ultimate.

Baggsy I'm a Bounty Hunter, lone rogue of course.