Sign in to follow this  
#Sleepy

Microphone (Proximity)

So I've seen the idea of microphones using a proximity sort of feature, where if you yell then people farther will hear you. And if you're quiet then people close will hear you.

Now how will this be work? I don't know an exact way to explain it but lets think of it like this we have are Microphones measured between 0-100 units. So when the sound level increases to lets say 60, people 60 meters can hear me, and so forth. Now I'm sure this isn't accurate but just a basic representation of how the audio being projected would work. I'm sure you could then add smoothing so it was just a hard change. So when you talk at 59 Units it'll be heard quieter then 60 Units but could still be heard, this would also allow us to find peoples direction based on where they're located.

Edited by #Sleepy

hm... the amplitude of sound goes down with distance^3 (approximately! it does depend on the sound for eg a whistle with its clear sinus wave carries farther than a human voice with all its distortions), the hearing of humans follows a logarithm of the amplitude, it's not that simple.

• Like 2

So 60% of max mic volume = 60km ingame... I know thats an exsample but that is just rediculous?

But I agree, that there should be link between speech volume and distance you can hear it. If you have highquality mic you should be able to whisper guy next to you without people 50m away hearing you. and your normal speech volume should be enough to "yell" someone few hunder meter away.

I dont like that I really had to yell to my mic, neighbours and other people in the house would love that...

But there should be "channels" like there is now, direct should be mic volume controller like proposed like from 0-50m, then "yell" from 0-200m that is traight mic sound.

It working quite well already ingame, some tweaks should be done tho (volume related in direct com)

ps. It should also be so that enyone can use this feature, not only those who have studio quality mic... regular mics that people use and audiocards has lots of static and shit.

Edited by Zeppa

Uhm... isnt this in the game anyway? I could be wrong, but the farther away people get from you the quiter you get don't you? At the very least the mod ACRE has something like this, I'm sure.

So 60% of max mic volume = 60km ingame... I know thats an exsample but that is just rediculous?

But I agree, that there should be link between speech volume and distance you can hear it. If you have highquality mic you should be able to whisper guy next to you without people 50m away hearing you. and your normal speech volume should be enough to "yell" someone few hunder meter away.

I dont like that I really had to yell to my mic, neighbours and other people in the house would love that...

But there should be "channels" like there is now, direct should be mic volume controller like proposed like from 0-50m, then "yell" from 0-200m that is traight mic sound.

It working quite well already ingame, some tweaks should be done tho (volume related in direct com)

ps. It should also be so that enyone can use this feature, not only those who have studio quality mic... regular mics that people use and audiocards has lots of static and shit.

I ment meters not Kilometers >.<

Im not really sure about the distance thing atm... tho it goes very quiet when someone is talking behind you, compared to when he is in front of you... Im using surround speakers and noticed this yesterday.. always had to turn and look the guy to hear him well. Other sounds work fine from rear speakers...

in the same respect, i think it should be microphone exclusively (no typing) to maintain that realism and spirit of what DayZ is all aboot. Now I know the players who dont have a mic will feel somehow looked over but it IS for the sake of realism ( and the devs have already confirmed the addition of 'emotes' that players will be able to do in the standalone to identify themselves as friend or foe, and agree and disagree). Also, if we are increasing the area that our microphones can reach to get the attention of other players... the infected within earshot should be alerted as well. It would make "shouting" just as risky as pulling your trigger. Like I said, DayZ is all about the immersion - the more realistic the simulation the more engrossed the player will become.

Edited by jdu82
  • Like 2

uh how about different hotkeys for 'whisper' 'talk' 'shout' etc.

There it is. Normal speech can be heard clearly up to 40m and falls off to nothing at 80m, if I'm not mistaken. Just add in another key bind that gives a range of 100m with a falloff to 300m, and attracts zombies within 50m when it's used. I can't tell you how many times it would have been nice to be able to shout at another survivor, since the only way to get anyone's attention past 80m is to shoot at them, which often starts our relationship on the wrong foot. Unless Side Chat is coming back, some shouting would be great.

And please don't link it to mic sensitivity. I've been in enough voice chat to know that it would be a ton of trouble. It's hard enough to get everyone's mic calibrated to where they're audible. If the quiet guy couldn't be heard ten feet away or the loud guy broadcast his transmissions for a kilometer, it would be terribly frustrating.

• Like 1