#Sleepy

ALT+F4 and Abort FIX

So lets start out with the Abort fix, I've heard that this example might be added but there's a plugin on Multiplayer Minecraft Servers so when a player takes damage and he logs out within 5-10 seconds of being damaged an NPC version of the player will stand there with the same loot/health/gear. You can kill this player and when he signs back in he'll be dead. (This may also work with ALT+F4ing)

or

When a player loads the escape menu within 5-10 Seconds of receiving damage the "Abort" will be greyed out like how "Respawn" currently it.

Now to fix ALT+F4 it's going to be difficult as you just can't change the actions of ALT+F4 in the game as they're binded in your operating system. So when you install DayZ as a Standalone you'll have the whole Terms that you'll have to agree to, in this it'll state while DayZ is Running (DayZ.exe or ArmaOA.exe) the ALT+F4 buttons are modified in Windows to be inactive so when you tap them they don't have any action.

Edited by #Sleepy
  • Like 4

So lets start out with the Abort fix, I've heard that this example might be added but there's a plugin on Multiplayer Minecraft Servers so when a player takes damage and he logs out within 5-10 seconds of being damaged an NPC version of the player will stand there with the same loot/health/gear. You can kill this player and when he signs back in he'll be dead. (This may also work with ALT+F4ing)

or

When a player loads the escape menu within 5-10 Seconds of receiving damage the "Abort" will be greyed out like how "Respawn" currently it.

Now to fix ALT+F4 it's going to be difficult as you just can't change the actions of ALT+F4 in the game as they're binded in your operating system. So when you install DayZ as a Standalone you'll have the whole Terms that you'll have to agree to, in this it'll state while DayZ is Running (DayZ.exe or ArmaOA.exe) the ALT+F4 buttons are modified in Windows to be inactive so when you tap them they don't have any action.

And I bet people will tryhard the standalone so badly they will alt-tab to their task manager and kill the process manually. I wouldn't put it beyond them.

And I bet people will tryhard the standalone so badly they will alt-tab to their task manager and kill the process manually. I wouldn't put it beyond them.

The first method would still counteract Ending the Process.

The first method would still counteract Ending the Process.

How so? All you are saying is the shortcut is disabled, right? Surely the authority level of Task manager or CMD would override that of a game.

How so? All you are saying is the shortcut is disabled, right? Surely the authority level of Task manager or CMD would override that of a game.

The NPC isn't ran off the Users PC, it's ran off the Server. I don't know how the logs are displayed exactly but here's an example:

3:16:05; Player1 shot Player2

3:16:09; Player2 has disconnected

3:16:14; Player2 load x12 y06 z15

Basically since all the players information is saved in the Hive including the position, if a player disconnects in X amount of damage being caused it can load the player model in the same position with the same gear.

The NPC isn't ran off the Users PC, it's ran off the Server. I don't know how the logs are displayed exactly but here's an example:

3:16:05; Player1 shot Player2

3:16:09; Player2 has disconnected

3:16:14; Player2 load x12 y06 z15

Basically since all the players information is saved in the Hive including the position, if a player disconnects in X amount of damage being caused it can load the player model in the same position with the same gear.

Oh, no no no, I agree that is entirely likely and think that would be a good idea, I'm referring to the blockage of ALT+F4 shortcut during game. If I was desperate, I could open up CMD, and assuming the standalone is called DayZ.exe I could write something along the lines of "Taskkill /IM DayZ.exe /F" and the moment I was about to die, ALT-tab and hit enter. Surely this would completely bypass blocking alt-F4?

Oh, no no no, I agree that is entirely likely and think that would be a good idea, I'm referring to the blockage of ALT+F4 shortcut during game. If I was desperate, I could open up CMD, and assuming the standalone is called DayZ.exe I could write something along the lines of "Taskkill /IM DayZ.exe /F" and the moment I was about to die, ALT-tab and hit enter. Surely this would completely bypass blocking alt-F4?

Oh yea, I guess that is plausible. But instead of ALT+F4 being non-operable, force killing the process DayZ.exe. But if the process becomes non-responding then it could be closed through that.

Not sure about the possibility of that, or even if I'd like the idea. I prefer to think I have more control over my system than a game.

Not sure about the possibility of that, or even if I'd like the idea. I prefer to think I have more control over my system than a game.

Yea I understand what you mean, but I think at least stopping ALT+F4 will give us more time.

I think your other idea about reloading them into the game upon exit would work. That's what RuneScape does, if you disconnect during combat, you need to not be hit for 10 seconds before actually exiting out.

P.S: I know what alot of people are like so I'm going to go ahead and say in advance I could care less for people's opinions on RuneScape. :L

Easy fix; Introduce a log on and off system like World of Warcraft. You want to log out? You cant be in combat and you have to wait 20 seconds. Even if someone wants to manually abort through task manager, it'll still take too much time and the player will probably be dead by the time the game is closed.

I think your other idea about reloading them into the game upon exit would work. That's what RuneScape does, if you disconnect during combat, you need to not be hit for 10 seconds before actually exiting out.

P.S: I know what alot of people are like so I'm going to go ahead and say in advance I could care less for people's opinions on RuneScape. :L

I played DayZ years ago when I was younger back when it was good, but I think that idea is better anyways also.

What about a simple timer to logout properly which takes 10 seconds.

Basically you stand still, can't move and have to wait 10 seconds without being shot at to logout.

If you get shot or go into shock the logout is aborted.

Disconnecting in any other way will result in the 5min shock cooldown when entering again.

What about a simple timer to logout properly which takes 10 seconds.

Basically you stand still, can't move and have to wait 10 seconds without being shot at to logout.

If you get shot or go into shock the logout is aborted.

Disconnecting in any other way will result in the 5min shock cooldown when entering again.

How will this stop people from ALT+F4ing?

i say yes, i agree with all the ideas to stop that altf4 bullshit. collecting stuff isn't the point of the game? good, you die if you abort bypassing the timed logging off, and your position, but not your gear, is saved. so if you have a internet failure or your house is burning you at least will be at nwa.

with search alt f4 you can find lots of this stuff, but easy way could be.

alt+f4:

Client responding for server = false

wait xx second.

if char blood >= 1 = alive (1 or more blood)

remove character from server/game, next time spawn blood that you had after xx second wait.

if char blood <= 0 = dead (0 or less blood)

keep character ingame for loot as someone killed you, next time spawn dead.

Same works for normal abort/disconnect too.

• Like 1

with search alt f4 you can find lots of this stuff, but easy way could be.

alt+f4:

Client responding for server = false

wait xx second.

if char blood >= 1 = alive (1 or more blood)

remove character from server/game, next time spawn blood that you had after xx second wait.

if char blood <= 0 = dead (0 or less blood)

keep character ingame for loot as someone killed you, next time spawn dead.

Same works for normal abort/disconnect too.

That helps with bodies not disappearing when killed, but doesn't help when I shoot someone and then they ALT+F4/Abort.

Sure it does... when ever your client stops responding it leaves your char to the server for set amount of second, if you were shooting a guy that altf4 (not respoding) his char will be there for xx second to be shot at and killed.

Same with the abort... if you click it game client stops responding and the char is there to be killed.

Edited by Zeppa

I find that people that disconnect by either alt + f4 or abort wont log back in on the same server. I posted a my ideas on the forums yesterday, where I also have a solution for this. I quote from my own post: "First of all I would like to see some changes to prevent players to preform disconnection and alt + F4 in a fight.

- My suggestions for that are as follows: Players needs to "sleep" (new animation) or have to sit down at least 10 to 20 seconds before the log out button will be available. Alt + F4 / loosing connection can be prevented by having the player to stand there for 30 seconds after the connection have been lost. There could be a panic animation for this and the player may scream for the 30 second."

This and several other ideas and suggestions of mine can be found on my post http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/92408-ideas-for-dayz-standalone/

Yes, this topic has been up for months from many differend person.

That if the person logs back in the same server or another doesnt matter... only add same amount of delay for rejoining any server than is the delay for logging out.. so you cant login another server before the sequence in previous has been completed..

I wouldnt need all fancy animations or other screaming stuff, imo that is a bit weird...

If you want to disconnect normally the timer would start, if you move you will need to start it again.. already stated one exsample for dealing with altf4..

It depends what the guilty party is using ALT F4 for ?

If it is a player who doesn't wish to engage in pvp against his/her will, or if a player is being fucked over by a hacker - then quitting is ok (IMO).

If it is to server hop and gain a tactical advantage over their attacker then that is different.

I can't see how DRH could make a system that blocks it without penalizing the former ?

Even DayZ Commander comes with a nice and quick option to close the game, with Windows Macro Recorder set to ALT C then you can quickly close the game.

But anyway, DayZ has and will always have, enough problems with serious hackers to sweat about the small stuff like this.

If it is a player who doesn't wish to engage in pvp against his/her will, or if a player is being fucked over by a hacker - then quitting is ok (IMO).

Well if someone doesnt want to engage then he should keep low profile and let it flow past him... This is one of the problems, many people altf4 because they dont want to engage firefight or they are losing one, but its part of the game and its not fair someone attacking you what ever reasons he may have.

If they havent noticed you, you can prone in a bush and wait that xx second while timer runs and you are able to logout normally, but also at anytime able to defend your self but it will reset the timer..

What comes to the hackers I think we can talk about standalone here where the cheating should be way less..Its differend on the mod when it can save your gear but.. well what ever.

If this would be implemented it would render all hotkeys and apps useless cuz its calculated server side.

Edited by Zeppa

READ THIS

When the stand alone comes out they will fix the alt-tab, alt-F4 and all the other things. HOW? very simple. When you go to leave the game you will have to log out of the server. you will have to wait 30 second to log out of the server. In that time you will probably stand up or sit down so you are easier to see or get shot. if you close you game with out this, then you will still be sitting/standing there for the next 30 seconds.

Every type of mmo (I know dayz isn't a mmo but it still applies) has a log out timer so when people are in PVP they can't just log out when there loosing.

As for the game right now, there isn't allot they can do but put in a penalty timer witch can also back fire.

READ THIS

When the stand alone comes out they will fix the alt-tab, alt-F4 and all the other things. HOW? very simple. When you go to leave the game you will have to log out of the server. you will have to wait 30 second to log out of the server. In that time you will probably stand up or sit down so you are easier to see or get shot. if you close you game with out this, then you will still be sitting/standing there for the next 30 seconds.

Every type of mmo (I know dayz isn't a mmo but it still applies) has a log out timer so when people are in PVP they can't just log out when there loosing.

As for the game right now, there isn't allot they can do but put in a penalty timer witch can also back fire.

And these are facts that are going to happen, word from devs?

I think this boldet part is stupid, otherwise it is same as I discriped..If you are normally loggin out it shouldnt force you to stand or what ever, only to stay still.

Edited by Zeppa

I've Played Minecraft pvp servers for a bit and i think the concept they use to prevent alt+f4 and disconnecting is that they have them Combat tagged for a certain amount of time until one f the combatants dies. Now theres two ways they do this they either spawn an Npc that stands still for a short amount of time (5-10 mins) or they kill the person outright and the other combatant can get their stuff.

I think that this could be applied to dayz Servers quite easily. tell me if im wrong :)