lavitz1125

Dayz and 'perks'

So before I start off, this isn't a COD thread, I don't mean perks like slight of hand or anything like that. What I'm suggesting in my eyes is to improve group dynamics, decrease the chance of shoot on sight mentality.

So since I started Dayz, I've loved it, a bit rough around the edges, but a very refreshing experience. But of course, as a lot of people do, have some idea's/problems. So one problem right now is there aren't many reasons to group up with people. Now of course people may think its fine where its at, but I have some idea's for how Rocket could possibly improve chances. Now I don't want this to be a MMO class thread.

So right now your Character is an expert at pretty much everything. He can shoot his gun straight, fix and repair a car from scrap, sprint for hundreds of kilometres and not sweat and give medical aid perfectly. Stuff like that which

So an idea I had was when you start your characters life or possibly through books etc, you pick/learn perks, so we all start at zero, we can't shoot a gun, we have no idea how a car works etc. So we need to pick perks that allow us to do these things. So someone can't do everything on his own.

You just found a sweet ride? Well that guy you just killed was a great mechanic and you never touched a car in your life. You just broke your bones, but the doctor you befriended can fix you up like new. Stuff like that I'm hoping for. Now of course this idea could have a lot of horrible holes in it, and of course this will still lead to the fact where people will ask you what you have and still kill you if they don't see you as useful.

Now I'm looking to add to the idea, and I'm open to constructive criticism, please poke holes in my idea, please tear it apart, that's what the section is for.

Thats a perfect idea! Veeeery good one! :) It would improve the game a lot, caus now everyone have to do do something, or can play story, maybe be an doctor or be one of the most frighten sniper. :D

SEARCH... use it.

Seriously though I mean come on I just read a thread about the exact same thing not a few hours ago and that one was way more thought out. Though I guess at least you know how to use tags so other people can find your thread unlike that guy that made the other thread.

• Like 4

SEARCH... use it.

Seriously though I mean come on I just read a thread about the exact same thing not a few hours ago and that one was way more thought out. Though I guess at least you know how to use tags so other people can find your thread unlike that guy that made the other thread.

Ahh, it seems the search failed me then, i looked through the first page and tried a few search variations, but nothing popped up. If this is a stale idea, I'm sorry.

Dislike, zero energy to type. Use search pl0x!!!1111oneoneone

Firstly i would suggest you stop being an absolute idiot and spell properly and not use "pl0x", because your basically telling everyone your an idiot, Thanks for reading.

• Like 1

Dislike, zero energy to type. Use search pl0x!!!1111oneoneone

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic, but I have said that I did search, but could not find anything.

Wait so we cant use a makarov after we first spawn that's what it sounded like it should be more like you cant use a 50 Cal fir a while

Like Dead Frontier?

Edited by MLI

So this is essentially an attempt to increase player cooperation, as I understand it. I get where you're coming from, but to put players in a position where cooperation is sensible you would first have to nerf player abilities well beyond reason, as you put it, literally removing the player's ability to fire a weapon without first acquiring an artificial 'skill' to do so.

Due to the volatile nature of the game, most players do intuitively act to either avoid others, or shoot on sight, so removing the ability to perform the latter from the start of a life presents a whole different problem. If 'skilled' players (that can use firearms) wish to do so, they may easily dispatch other players that do not have the ability to defend themselves. I don't doubt that many players would be willing to flock together, but this potential problem is still something that needs to be considered.

If I may share an overused catchphrase that nonetheless speaks volumes about the wider DayZ community: "Some men just want to watch the world burn." and I don't doubt that this would be emphasised by the implementation of weapon skill requirements.

Edited by Alopex

i think it's a good idea.

this way we could truly have hero's and bandits. So when u spawn your just a bad shot? Maybe not be able to use a high-powered weapon.

A group of highly skilled bandits roll through cherno, and create problems for the fresh guys. One of the fresh spawns kills a bandit with his macarov. Bandit dies, loses his skill and has to train his skills again.

I would have to say they would need to be limited, so a highly skilled shooter is hopeless at using meds, repairing cars etc.

This gives much better motivation not to die also.

edit: A Oblivion/Skyrim skill system would be great but most people probably would'nt agree with that

Edited by Vangelics

i think it's a good idea.

this way we could truly have hero's and bandits. So when u spawn your just a bad shot? Maybe not be able to use a high-powered weapon.

A group of highly skilled bandits roll through cherno, and create problems for the fresh guys. One of the fresh spawns kills a bandit with his macarov. Bandit dies, loses his skill and has to train his skills again.

I would have to say they would need to be limited, so a highly skilled shooter is hopeless at using meds, repairing cars etc.

This gives much better motivation not to die also.

edit: A Oblivion/Skyrim skill system would be great but most people probably would'nt agree with that

Otherways I agree, but the boldet part is stupid... Why someone cant be skilled marksman and good with firstaid or repair cars

I think these just be things that can be learned in game, so your char can learn all of these if you take the time.

When you spawn you can barely bandage your self with varying success. Maybe you could choose previous profession of your char so you could get +1 skill level of something you like to start with(basic knowledge)? So you could bandage succesfully, or repair tire from a car etc.

Ex: medical (started with 0 skill)

Medical skill 0

0% to next skill level

Skills: (exsamples)

Bandaging (bad)

At this point you could develop your basic bandaging through trial and error. There could be few differend types of wounds to bandage, like artery bleed, scratch etc, fleshwound.. with basic skills success rate with differend bleeding types would vary in success, like partially stop the bleeding, possibility to start bleeding again and so on...

Found a first aid book(level1), read it get medical skill +1 (made so that you have to start from the basics like first aid, "high level" books would be useless at this point)

Medical skill +1

0% to next skill level

Bandaging

Splinting

Use your skills and gain experience like 1% per task, after 25 tasks you have like 25%

You could maybe get better % gain if done to other person(like +5%).

Medical skill +1

25% to next skill level

Use more skills and you reach 99% you get ability to level up with a book.

You find a new book(level2) to learn new stuff.

This that you cant just bandage your self like 1000times to gain max medical level and new skills. You could still use skill that you have but no exp gain or very little exp gain that goes in "bank" after you read the level2 book you get the % from the "bank".

Medical skill +2

0% to next skill level

Bandaging

Splinting

Bloodtranfusion

After level 2 you could get like 0.5% from old skill you had and 1% from new skill you learned from the the new book. From every level the % should decrease to get it harder.

Same system to other skills to, mechanics, huntsman, gunsmith etc...

Just an idea, no absolute values but should something that aint easy and too overpowered... like if huntsman(marksman) had ability to hold his breath to the worlds end... but something like ability to get learn get more usable meat from animal, shots off better between heart beats, somewhat better breath holding, etc stuff...Gunsmith, weapon maintenance, jam removal, repairs etc..

Specifics should be tought out ofc.. but just a rough ideas.

IMO there should be other way to be hero too than just healing people(quide, medic etc), also could be few types of bandits (robbers, murderers etc)

This kind of system would make more use for the tents than gun storage, if you find high leve books you could store them for further use and so on...

Edited by Zeppa

Imagine trying to bandage yourself and it not working, you bleed to death because you don't know how to do up a bandage.. Right off the bat? I think that would put a lot of people off the game.

Also yeah, in game books, i'm not so keen on the idea - if I found a sniper rifle in real life and I wanted to learn how to use it.. I'd shoot the blasted thing a couple of times, figure out how the mechanism works! You don't just learn things from books, you constantly get better at things if you're having to do them frequently..

Also not being able to fire a gun is stupid, anyone could figure it out even if they haven't seen a gun before.

Imagine trying to bandage yourself and it not working, you bleed to death because you don't know how to do up a bandage.. Right off the bat? I think that would put a lot of people off the game.

Also yeah, in game books, i'm not so keen on the idea - if I found a sniper rifle in real life and I wanted to learn how to use it.. I'd shoot the blasted thing a couple of times, figure out how the mechanism works! You don't just learn things from books, you constantly get better at things if you're having to do them frequently..

Also not being able to fire a gun is stupid, anyone could figure it out even if they haven't seen a gun before.

Yes, not like that ofc

Sure you could bandage but not with best succes. I dont think everyone knows how to bandage artery bleed properly etc?

These things are basic first aid info, Im not doc or anything but just thinking.

If you found a sniper rifle, sure you could learn to shoot it but you need right techniques to get better and all out of it. Like if you would learn how to play piano or quitar, with right quidance you get off "all from it" and stuff get easyer... ofc you could also learn as hard way but then there is possibility after you read a book or someone shows you better and easyer way to do it. again its a game and absolute realism cannot be achieved ever..

And I havent said that you coudnt use gun...everyone can, only certain aspect could be learn.. you could learn accuracy with practicing. Woudnt it be easyer to read a book how to take gun a part, than start fidling around with like in that women in "the walking dead" trailer when the hoard comes by..sure you could but if could take time.. as I said, not fully tought consept so all toughts are welcome.

And as I wrote you woud have to use the skill frequently to get better at them (% part), sure there could be added the success rate improvement with the %(also indivial skill % could be added). But you cannot learn at least safe way how to give bloodtranfusion, to find the vane etc... without any quidance. Ofcourse books aint best way to learn but its way to gain basic info.

ps. If someon without knowledge starts butchering animal I think its butchering in the basic meaning of the words, bits and peaces... someon with knowledge could cut a few decent stakes from it...

Edited by Zeppa

But your probably more liable to shoot yourself in the foot.

Do you think you could handle the recoil from a anti-material rifle your first shot and not break your shoulder? I highly doubt it.

The idea of not being able to fire a gun accuratly when you spawn is just simply stupid. Handling a gun is not that difficult, it's basically just point and shoot. When I went through Basic Training it was the first time I ever had a gun in my hand and I could still hit shit, it's really not that hard. It only gets difficult the farther away your target is and that's exactly how it is in the game at the moment you have to guess where to point and hope it hits your target and thats the way it should be.

You can add all the skills you want but adding a skill for gun handling? No. This isn't a Roleplaying Game with Stats for everything, here you can either shoot a gun and hit someone or you can't. Besides, adding such a skill would only give players that have survived an unfair advantage over people who just spawned, same goes for every sort of skill but with shooting a gun it's really something game breaking.

This is were i'm going to poke a hole into your suggestion... sorry =\.

My Favorite part about DayZ that makes it my Favorite game is no perks. I didn't die because guy was a level 80 gaming god but rather he had a gun and i didn't.

The way to fix the "kill on site" in dayz is not to force people to work together but to keep them alive long enough to get to know people and meet up with them. When i first started i men't a really nice guy who helped me out but we were both killed. We never spoke again because we couldn't find each other.

• Like 1

The way to fix the "kill on site" in dayz is not to force people to work together but to keep them alive long enough to get to know people and meet up with them. When i first started i men't a really nice guy who helped me out but we were both killed. We never spoke again because we couldn't find each other.

I dont even think this would be the case... as you really dont need anyone you can do all stuff by your self.

If you had even somekind of skills spread around and trained. Now you are in matrix that you have every thing loaded to your brain.

I met a nice guy yesterday and he helped me, then we got shot at and he died. But I dont really have interest to meet up with him again as I dont really need the guy, I can find new dude to run with for an hour and then go apart. If the guy had been skill full medic or repairing vehicles I could seek him up when I need something fixed or If I need medical help or someone even more skilled to repair chopper.

people dont group up unless they have some goal to achieve or something that they can help each other with.

Edited by Zeppa

But your probably more liable to shoot yourself in the foot.

Do you think you could handle the recoil from a anti-material rifle your first shot and not break your shoulder? I highly doubt it.

I'm not talking 50 caliber snipers, I'm talking pistols and shotgun/lee enfield/winchester etc..