Sign in to follow this  
Esoteric

Internet quota

Hello! I'm just wondering if theres any other Day Z players out there that don't get much internet quota per month, for instance.. 15gb?

I use wireless usb internet, so the plans are expensive, yet only give 15gb per month at $110, so due to that I can't play Day Z anywhere near as much as I'd like to, when I first got them game, I played for as long as I'd nomally play for per week, ended up running out of quota half way through the month by going 1gb p/day playing Day Z (not including download).

So, I'm curious if theres any way to reduce how much bandwidth you guys use when playing, for instance, does lower view distance do anything to help render less important things therefore saves bandwidth?

Any other tips you guys can think of?

Also note, when my internet is out of quota my speed is slowed, the game is unplayable at that speed.

Thanks!

Holy mothballs. Get off of that plan, even if you have to kidnap a phone company representative to do so.

It is bad, however I've tried other wireless providers and their speeds are terrible, not to mention they're all expensive atm as its still rather new tech.

Wired plans aren't available for my location atm.

So, I'm curious if theres any way to reduce how much bandwidth you guys use when playing, for instance, does lower view distance do anything to help render less important things therefore saves bandwidth?

Any other tips you guys can think of?

Unfortunately I can't think of anything to really help. Regardless of view distance, the ARMA2 engine always sends all object information game-wide and their movement packets to your client. Thus, regardless of view distance, you are constantly getting that data sent to you. I really can't think of anything client-side that would reduce bandwidth consumption. The only thing that might help would be making sure you play on the lowest ping server possible, reducing the chance of packet loss and therefore packets being resent. I'm not sure how much that would help, though. ARMA2 is a bandwidth heavy game since the server itself does very little other than act as a distribution service to let other clients talk to each other. It's a pretty unorthodox client/server method and is the primary reason that ARMA2 allows for the cheating it does.

any idea if the Day Z standalone will be using the same sort of system as ARMA2

any idea if the Day Z standalone will be using the same sort of system as ARMA2

Pretty similar.

Where do you live?