Sign in to follow this  
Brian700

An idea about combat D/C'ing and logging out.

Here's an idea I just thought of that would help with the issue of people D/C'ing during combat, and would help with the Hive server differentiating between legitimate logging and alt+F4.

In real life, your character isn't just going to stand there in the woods, in the pouring rain, waiting for you to come back, right? Why not implement a mechanic that allows players to build a lean-to or other temporary structure for shelter before logging out? It would be something that doesn't require any special tools (grab pine branches, stack against a tree), so even a brand new spawn can create a small shelter. If you could, say, disable the Abort option until one of these shelters is selected first, then it would help signal to the Hive that its a legitimate logout. And, if an Alt+F4 is detected (a logout without a shelter), then it would execute a 30 sec. timeout before the character disappears off the server and is saved, and a 2 minute login timeout for that player ID/GUID.

I think that this wouldn't be that hard to implement code-wise, it wouldn't be difficult or time-consuming for legitimate players to do when logging out, and it would help differentiate between legit and non-legit logs, so that a timer could be used to prevent Alt+F4's. It would also add a touch of realism to the game. Thanks for reading, and let me know what you guys think - sound good, or no?

what about players who just loose their internet connection, dancing naked in the shop in Cherno! Open target for 30 secs.! Agree that there should be a way of preventing people to Alt+F4.

The problem with that is if I'm in the middle of Cherno and suddenly something comes up real life and I have to get off right then, and I'm not in combat, I want to be able to do that without thinking I'm going to die because some zombie stumbled across my still standing body.

Alt-F4 is your only hope of getting away from a bullet proof hacker at this time too. I like the idea but not until the hacking is more under control