Sign in to follow this  
hairylongpole

Can you play Day Z with just Operation Arrow head?

Like the title suggests, I was wondering if you can play Day Z with just the ArmA 2: Free and Operation Arrowhead. I have heard a few people say you can, but I just wanted to make sure since I'm about to trade someone for a copy of Operation Arrowhead. Also, is it hard to do? Or can you just install both and run Day Z Commander? Does the game still look good, or will there be skins missing?

Nope

That was fast, anyways thanks for the reply.

I'd still like to get more than one persons answer though so keep em comming.

Yes you can. I do.

Instead of paying the $30 for everything, I just paid the $20 for the Arrowhead expansion. You really are better off buying it all as I've heard the graphics are better with buying the full version of Arma II, and the fact that there are a lot of other mods that require Arma II full. There are also other mods that only require the Arrowhead expansion though, like DayZ. Also if you have all of the other expansions to, you get better gun skins. I play with the graphics on medium, so I didn't care to have better graphics either.

Edited by CerebralZombie
  • Like 1

You can, I do, However dayZ commander won't like you. You have to install the beta files by hand. I do play with just OA and ArmA II Free. Was playing as of this morning.

You can, I do, However dayZ commander won't like you. You have to install the beta files by hand. I do play with just OA and ArmA II Free. Was playing as of this morning.

Day Z commander won't like you huh? So, you have to manual install everything?

Yea my DayZ Commander 2 days ago after updating it suggest I don't have Combine operations, if I wanted to buy it. I said -no- then went on the way. It refuses to update unless i have Combined operation. So I just down load and manual install the patches and such now.

No, you are wrong. I use the DayZ Commander, and all you have to do when the message that reads, "You do no have the full version, blah blah blah." all you have to do if click "No." or "Cancel" and it works fine. It still installs and updates fine for me, you just have to ignore that message. I do not upload or install by hand.

No, you are wrong. I use the DayZ Commander, and all you have to do when the message that reads, "You do no have the full version, blah blah blah." all you have to do if click "No." or "Cancel" and it works fine. It still installs and updates fine for me, you just have to ignore that message. I do not upload or install by hand.

Sweet, that sounds good.

Well if you want you can just get Six Updater/Launcher. It works fine with the Free version, and will install everything for you. Commander works for me though, with the Arrowhead Expansion and the free version of Arma II. Just gotta skip the message that pops up.

Also I edited my first posyt a little if you passed it. Nothing to important there though. =P

Well if you want you can just get Six Updater/Launcher. It works fine with the Free version, and will install everything for you. Commander works for me though, with the Arrowhead Expansion and the free version of Arma II. Just gotta skip the message that pops up.

Also I edited my first posyt a little if you passed it. Nothing to important there though. =P

K thanks, I read it just now. The problem is im getting it through a trade, so it's not like I can tell him "Hey get CO, then well talk". So, I have to just hope that Day Z Will never require Arma 2 Full. But, it is nice too know there will be differnece in graphics without it.

Well you could wait for the Standalone version of DayZ. Both versions will always be updated, but I wouldn't doubt that the standalone will be their first priority.

I was gonna buy the standalone, but there seems to be no info on a release date, so I don't have any clue how much longer of a wait it'll be. If the games gonna take between 1 - 2 years for a standalone to be released in alpha, it might be better just to buy the game for the mod. I heard that the mod and the standalone will both work so the mod will be useable for the full game.

We have 3 accounts in the house and one of them operates off of OA and the free Arma2 version. I have zero problems with DayzCommander, and it updates just like the other two do. I did have to go into the install folder and move some files around on that particular computer, but I can't remember which, exactly.

I believe it was a simple YouTube video that explained which files needed to be moved around.

We have 3 accounts in the house and one of them operates off of OA and the free Arma2 version. I have zero problems with DayzCommander, and it updates just like the other two do. I did have to go into the install folder and move some files around on that particular computer, but I can't remember which, exactly.

I believe it was a simple YouTube video that explained which files needed to be moved around.

SO you have to move files around in the folder before day z works?

SO you have to move files around in the folder before day z works?

Well, I remember having to move some files around at some point. This was before DayzCommander, and may not be necessary now. I'm not entirely sure. Maybe someone else can chime in on that. But, you can definitely play with the free version of Arma 2 and OA.

Well, I remember having to move some files around at some point. This was before DayzCommander, and may not be necessary now. I'm not entirely sure. Maybe someone else can chime in on that. But, you can definitely play with the free version of Arma 2 and OA.

thanks for the response

Like the title suggests, I was wondering if you can play Day Z with just the ArmA 2: Free and Operation Arrowhead. I have heard a few people say you can, but I just wanted to make sure since I'm about to trade someone for a copy of Operation Arrowhead. Also, is it hard to do? Or can you just install both and run Day Z Commander? Does the game still look good, or will there be skins missing?

This is possible, no skins would be missing, game looks the same to me. I have Combined Operation, but I use to play on Arma II free. Regardless Steam Arma II Free not working, you can still download Arma II Free from Arma II official website. Then in DayZ Commander you simply have to re-route the Arma II folder to the Arma II Free Folder.

Helped friend did this, he only has Operation Arrowhead on Steam.

Yeah it shouldn't be necessary at all. I know the odd person come across a problem with any mod out there, but the chances are very low. If you do run into a problem, just hop on the forums or Youtube and you'll be good to go.

Operation Arrowhead*

Wrong!

Nice try though...

Look at the title Arrow Hear.

I corrected "a" part. God people are stupid these days.