Sign in to follow this  
Charger (DayZ)

Helicopters and M107s...

Hello there dear People of the Forums,

I'm here again because I would love to know how many M107 shots a Helicopter can take, before it goes down.

Here is the Situation: Me and my Friend were wandering through the open fieldd in the middle of Nowhere.. Then we found a Helicoptercrash, right as we were about to loot it,

we heard a Helicopter taking off right next to us, we we're laying down, hoping that they didn't see us. He put on his light because it was Nighttime, when my Friend suddenly yelled: "They see me!" The lights were directly on him and the MG on the side opened fire, so did I.

A Full M107 magazin,

2 shots right below the Rotor

1 Above the Pilot in the front

6 below the feet of the Pilot probably through the glass or right next to it.

1 missed.

The chopper was still working and killed both of us, what made me wonder how many shots that thing can take?

Thanks for reading and answering!

Greetings,

Charger

Welp, I aint no expert, but here goes:

If you do not hit the rotor assembly, or the pilot, then i think it can take a fuck tonne of shots. You take out the rotor, it goes down. you kill the pilot, it goes down.

Once, me and a mate tried to destroy a parked huey. fuckin impossible. filled it way full of holes, nada. so in short, its hard. keep trying, post vids.

Well, i'm not sure how much damage a helicopter can take, but the m107 is kinda weak against vehicles.

What you REALLY want is an AS50. For reference an M107 does about 30,000 damage per shot, while an AS50 (using NATO ammo) will do something insane like 120,000.

So one AS50 shot is worth about 4 M107 shots.

Tail rotors are very week on choppers, playing Domination / Evo (normal arma 2 for those who dont know) I used to wind up my friends every now and then with a few well placed shots into the tail rotor and watch them spin like a top :-)

Option B is as you did to go for the cockpit, through the glass at the pilot will kill him outright, through the metal its pot luck I'm affraid.

3-4 shots to the rotor assembly, sometimes even less. Its just having luck as how the game registers the shots at that time. Sometimes the shot has to be mm precisely, sometimes not. Its just a bugy alpha.

Thanks Guys!

I don't know what we got into on that server.. After respawning we went to balotta.. Just when we arrived there was a m203 flare going up from an unknown position,

the chopper arrived again and killed us like they waited for us to gear up there.. Then after we both got shot again by a sniper on some field far away from everything we left the server. Probably the best we could do.

One last question now: There is in a normal case only one Chopper per server right?

Saw 2 in cherno..

Edited by Charger

Thanks Guys!

I don't know what we got into on that server.. After respawning we went to balotta.. Just when we arrived there was a m203 flare going up from an unknown position,

the chopper arrived again and killed us like they waited for us to gear up there.. Then after we both got shot again by a sniper on some field far away from everything we left the server. Probably the best we could do.

One last question now: There is in a normal case only one Chopper per server right?

Saw 2 in cherno..

Hackers. Probably why you didn't take down the first helicopter with your M107.

I emptied 4 AS50 NATO mags into a chopper once (it was formerly my chopper D:). Didn't go down. Next thing I know I hear a sqeaky kid and I'm teleported up right next to the chopper only to fall to my death.

Ragequit from DayZ after this happened (took me a fucking week to fix that chopper...)

I had heard about the tail rotor thing but not tested it, will try and test that out today, and will post a vid if poss.

OK, testing complete, recorded it, but upload time is a bitch. Report in short:

• M107 takes 3 rounds to disable main rotor
  • M107 takes 2 rounds to damage the tail rotor, which would eventually cause a crash
  • M107 is 1 shot kill on the pilot, causing instant crash

So there you go kids, go for the headshot - is the only true stopper!

Edited by OhShitSarge
  • Like 2

Awesome that you went out to test it! :)

Thanks Sarge!

Those Pilots are going to have a hard time :D

Edited by Charger

Thats not a huey, its a venom. I don't know if they have different stats.

It takes 5 NATO rounds on the underside to kill a helicopter, less to the main rotor/engine area. I know this because I shot a chopper 4 times and the pilot said the engine turned red

With an AS50 with AS50 rounds it takes 1 well placed shot, but then again AS50 with AS50 rounds does way more damage.

I would guess it takes 3-5 shots to the main rotor with an m107

Edited by Vipala