Sign in to follow this  
Nedmonds

Make it Darker, Colder and more Russianesque

Ok if we are getting a stand alone version of this game i think care should be taken on not jus the mechanics of the game (rag doll physics, improved weather systems etc) But the actual environment we are playing in! For me this plays a massive part in the overall immersion and emotional aspects of the game.

I already have mass panic attacks when im sitting in the trees with my sniper rifle and i hear branches breaking close to me, or when i can see mass zombies in a town and know other people are present. But even when there is no one around me im still scanning everywhere hoping to god im not going to instantly see a black you are dead screen.. This is in a game with terrible graphics and hideous bugs.

I think the game should be given a darker, colder feel to it. Having it look like Soviet Russia.

Snow! lots of it, the implementation of snow could allow for a few different additions to the game.

Snowmobile type vehicles?

Arctic camo (white gillie suit type)

Blood, you shoot someone, they bleed, they run and leave a blood trail.

Signs of the old soviet regime, Big Statues of Jo Stalin, Old horribly constructed palaces, full of goodies!.

I mean back in the day Stalin has his tower blocks build too allow everyone to spy on their neighbours, i think these big tower blocks in citys would not only look good, they would give people cover from the mass of snipers hiding in the hills and allow for a bit of close combat/team work.

There should be lakes etc, but they should also be covered in ice. Imagine having a horde of zombies after you and having to run onto an ice lake, with the fear it could crack and the lot of you could fall in at any moment :)

With the weather comes the cold, the cold effects you and if your caught running about siberia in a snow storm expect to quickly die, unless you have trenching tools, tent etc. Further out of the citys could be the smaller towns, with exceptional loot and veihcles. But only the well equiped or a team could get there, this provides an incentive not to shoot everyone on sight! this will also encourage higher geared people to explore more and leave the new spawns to look for gear and friends!

Guns should be more russian, i dont understand why there are so many american rifles in the game.

Chopper Crashes! why cant we see this in action?? AI obviously. Running through the game you hear a chopper over head, starts spinning out of control and crashes into the map, smoke billows out and alerts every other player in the area that a chopper has gone down, this will stop people camping the crash spots and allow for a very fun situation as everyone will want the loot, but who will be willing to share :)

Ill update as i think of more!

All criticism is welcome constructive or not (this is the internet after all)

• Like 3

Most of these suggestions have been discussed before. The soviet regime is over, and although corrupt officials along with the government still thrive in Russia, basically everything that resembles communism has been destroyed. It is modern day Russia, Rocket has confirmed that. I don't think the dev's will implement a new setting though, they've already put time into making the standalone. Don't get me wrong, i think there will be some snowy sections of the map, possibly even a whole map that is based on a Russian winter, but i guess we'll just have to wait until the standalone is released.

Ok, so the game will be set in modern day russia, there may not be any sign of the union, but the architecture is still there and its still influences peoples perception of russia. I still think this should be a big facet of the game.

I was thinking as well what about trains?? A Train that circulates the map, smaller towns into the big citys, it cannot be destoryed or stolen, it provides people with a method of travel and the risk involved is getting on an already crowded train full of potential assholes or letting people on a train you have found abandoned somewhere on the map???

I was thinking as well what about trains?? A Train that circulates the map, smaller towns into the big citys, it cannot be destoryed or stolen, it provides people with a method of travel and the risk involved is getting on an already crowded train full of potential assholes or letting people on a train you have found abandoned somewhere on the map???

No, This can't happen. The game is about survival. A train isn't going to run in a post apocolyptic wasteland full of zombies, you have to think about this. Who's driving the train? Who's providing the train with power? And besides, if there were to be a train, bandits would camp up in the tree-line and wait for players to get off, only to snipe the shit out of them before they walk 10 metres.

• Like 1

That would then really mean the removal of every vehicle from the game? I mean Cars run on fuel? Do fuel station have a never ending supply of it? No one would be getting sniped, they can stop the train where ever they like and get off, leaving it for the next people, no more forests full of every vehicle on the server. Trains from my understanding would be a lot easier to drive than say an army personnel carrier. This game is about survival yes, and me personnaly if i was wandering about and found an old locamotive i would be trying to figure out every way in which to get the thing running. You cant suddenly start to wipe out thing that exist prior to the zombies

You do realise how much studying goes behind running and driving a locomotive right? Wouldn't there be trains already on the tracks, abandoned as the apocolypse started? Wouldn't some prior skill be needed to actually drive a train? It just lacks the fundamentals of DayZ. Trains are too big, too obtuse. You would just be an even bigger target. You can wipe out everything prior, everything prior means nothing. You can't have certain luxuries like a working train system in a zombie apocolypse. And i agree, constantly finding fuel at petrol stations isn't too realistic, but then again, that's like saying once a weapon is picked up it no longer spawns, once the ammunition is used there is no more. Without the ever-spawning items DayZ would fall into itself. and cease to exist as a game.

• Like 1

You do realise how much training goes into hitting a traget 1000 metres away with a sniper rifle. Or how much training goes into surviving in harsh terrain with limited/no supplys. There are only certain areas of realism that can be maintained without killing the game.

You answered some of your own questions there. Yes there would be trains abandoned on the track. Thats whe whole point, im not asking the developers to have us build our own train network. as with having a working train system after an apocolypse, why not? have the zombies ripped up the railway line? I mean the is a railway line in the game right now, it isnt used for anything but there are roads, with cars, motorbikes, quads, jeeps, vans and army vehicles.

"Trains are too big, too obtuse. You would just be an even bigger target"

A target for what? The people who are capable of running after a train? Arent the cars that drive about cherno beeping there hornes and flashing their lights a target?

i like your ideas. Darker, snowstorm, bigger cities with big block buildings... I wouldn't need that train thing but I would like something like a tube system. No working trains but tunnel system under the biggest city. A way to avoid snipers but you be forced to walk through dark tunnels and maybe go straight into a dead end where you are trapped XD. I like the idea of areas that are hard to access because of harsh wilderness etc. that would add more sence in being friendly to other survivors. Team up for the travel and then you can separate again. And at the weapon thing i agree too. I guess in russia you will find more AK's, Makarovs, and Mosin Nagats then M16, M1911, and Lee Enfield. But I think the developers will change that anyway.

Edited by mad87ger

of course it is! but if its something that opens up a debate then im happy to discuss it. I didn't return with any "you don't know what you're speaking about GTFO the internet type comments" I merely pointed out some contradictions.

Look, i'm not trying to be some internet elitist asshole, but you have to look at it from a certain point of view. I don't mind your idea's, and honestly the Russian winter map sounds like a great idea, i just have issues with a train being in DayZ. I mean sure, PvP would become more intense as people would be fighting over who gets to use it, and hitting a zombie would be halarious, but i dunno, what are the chances of a fully functioning train being in DayZ? Sure, people would be dedicated to getting it running again, and it would be great, but if such an idea were to be implemented, there would have to be some major overhauling of the train, like the train would break down half the time, and players would need to find the parts to restore it. I guess it's an idea, but we'll see what happens.

Driving trains is just too complicated. Besides, they only get 100 miles to the gallon.

Now flying a helicopter. That's a lot more practical.

Driving trains is just too complicated. Besides, they only get 100 miles to the gallon.

Now flying a helicopter. That's a lot more practical.

Sarcasm?

Why the hell would we need an entrenching tool to survive the snow? The entrenching tool builds tank traps and sandbags, not houses.

Can you please explain to me how a fold down shovel is used to construct Sand bags?? Or traps?.. If you are caught in a snow storm you can dig your self a hole, and hide in it, the snow would have to be compact but it keeps you out of the elements.

You do realise how much studying goes behind running and driving a locomotive right? Wouldn't there be trains already on the tracks, abandoned as the apocolypse started? Wouldn't some prior skill be needed to actually drive a train? It just lacks the fundamentals of DayZ. Trains are too big, too obtuse. You would just be an even bigger target. You can wipe out everything prior, everything prior means nothing. You can't have certain luxuries like a working train system in a zombie apocolypse. And i agree, constantly finding fuel at petrol stations isn't too realistic, but then again, that's like saying once a weapon is picked up it no longer spawns, once the ammunition is used there is no more. Without the ever-spawning items DayZ would fall into itself. and cease to exist as a game.

>implying it takes a lot of studying to fix a train

> can fix, fly, and land helicopters, repair any part of any car, can shoot a target 1000 feet away with a sniper, can run 6km without stopping

Lets think about the ​ fundamentals one more time, yeah?

No working trains but tunnel system under the biggest city. A way to avoid snipers but you be forced to walk through dark tunnels and maybe go straight into a dead end where you are trapped XD.

I like this idea here, inside it would contain loot + zombies. It would be great to go down into a dark underground network with only your flashlight, checking corners constantly and running into the odd zed here and there. It would be tense. And brilliant.

• Like 1