Kipale

Is it worth buying server?

I've been thinking about buying own server, but i've been reading that vechiles ain't respawning? Is there anyway to avoid it?

It's not worth the trouble :( don't do it seriously.

Read the server admins posts and see the grief and trouble it causes, You try to police the server and you get reported for admin abuse.

The Dayz server rules suck.

Maybe go for a Lingor Island server :) More freedom and the ability to do things how you want.

I've been thinking about buying own server, but i've been reading that vechiles ain't respawning? Is there anyway to avoid it?

Vehicles do spawn, there is an expectation from some admins that they should reset on upgrade/re-starting, which is wrong.

I don't think you should, just find a good server that you can be a usual on and learn the usual players.

i will be positive you should be one if you want to be the one that decides how long it will last.

Many people complaining about servers beeing shuttet down permanent. If you own one yourself you got it in your hand how long i will last. And have a solid ground for your base.

The reason I started my own server is that I realized the vast majority of the servers run on DayZ are run by admins who don't know anything about administration other than how to enter their credit card details and perhaps punch a few things into a prefab control panel. I wanted a fast, stable, and reliable DayZ server. I couldn't find one in the wild in my geographical location. Therefore, I started my own.

So, if you can find a fast, reliable, and stable server that you have a low ping too (and is actively kept updated/logs checked for hackers/etc) then there's not a lot of reason to start your own. As the server guide says, admins gain no benefits in-game from owning a server.

If you can't find such a server, by all means start your own. Just go into it with the mindset that you are throwing away X dollars per month as an entertainment expense. It's an alpha mod, so you could have a broken mod on your hands or functionality busted (vehicles broken, tents not saving, etc.) for periods of time while you're still paying for your server. If you can understand the reality of that, then you'll be fine as a server admin.

Edited by Venthos

I was thinking about the same question 2 weeks. I decided to pull the trigger and bought 2.

The main thing I'll tell you is plan on dedicating a good amount of time into learning about dealing with hackers. You'll spend a lot of time on this issue.

Also, depending on how you want to admin, you may spend a lot of time taking care of the server. Some people seem to take a set it and forget it approach. Personally, I'm always asking people how loading times are, restarting the server, kicking idiots, streaming the logs, dealing with hackers on sight. This takes a good amount of time each day.

The first thing I do in the morning is check logs, find the hackers, ban them, and then submit them to the community ban list. Throughout the day I always have the logs streaming while I work.

For me, it's a labor of love. I really enjoy this game. But I've found I enjoy running servers more. I like the challenge of maintaining a clean server, educating myself about new threats and making sure everyone has a good experience. Plus I've met a ton of cool people in the process.

If you do decide to get a server, go with www.vilayer.com and get the DayZ Package server so you're on their hive, no the public one. You will have far more control when it comes to dealing with hackers. Plus you can change your server between 4 maps at any time without losing your stuff on any map. As an example, say you build a big base on Chernarus, switch to Lingor for a week and then go back to Chernarus, your base will still be there.

Edited by barrycarey
  • Like 1

If you do decide to get a server, go with www.vilayer.com

Want to host your own server?

Go with ViLayer. Fast servers, great support and Amazing prices. #1 DayZ server host.

40 Slot server for $37.50 with coupon 25%OFFGS

lol - I think a declaration of interests is required here...

lol - I think a declaration of interests is required here...

Yes, the links have affiliate tags in them. Yes, I do stand to make a couple bucks if he picks them.

Why, because I 100% believe in them. I have nothing but good things to say about ViLayer. Every interaction I've had with them has been top notch and they provide wonderful support.

I think what they're doing for the community is far beyond what any other host is doing. They're constantly working to improve DayZ, they allow server admins to have FAR more freedom than any other host. On top of that, they're actively working on new tools and features that are available nowhere else.

I know there are people that don't like them, but I speak from my personal experience and the experience of 6 people I know that have servers with them. Those experiences have been nothing but great. To add to that, I'm migrating my eCommerce site(my primary source of income for my family) and 4 other websites to their servers.

Kipale, if you do decide to buy a ViLayer server, at least take the info I provided into consideration. Like I said, they are hands down the best dayZ host and I'm sure you won't regret going with them. As my "Declaration of Interests", I will make a few dollars if you buy through my link, but only because I 100% support and believe in their company. If you have issues, I welcome you to verbally abuse me in my Teamspeak.

I indeed picked vilayers, i see many servers are hosted by them and price was reasonable, now just waiting to get my server up.

they allow server admins to have FAR more freedom than any other host.

Really? Know all the other hosts and their level of access do you? I don't really care what you put up or in your signature but that sort of statement is fairly contentious.

Don't buy one. There are MUCH more servers already than is needed, and most of them are underpopulated. DayZ is much less fun to play with less than 40-50 players on the map.

I'm hoping someone can help with this problem. I got my server running but problem is when i connected i start with fresh spawn? Is there anyway to start with old character?

I'm hoping someone can help with this problem. I got my server running but problem is when i connected i start with fresh spawn? Is there anyway to start with old character?

That's due to the private hive. It's not connected to the normal DayZ hive so you start with a fresh character. ViLayer has the largest private hive. All of their servers are connected so you can jump between them like you can on the normal hive.

I will say that their Chernarus hive isn't hugely active at the moment. Our Chernarus server goes up and down. We might only have 5 or 6 people on throughout the day and maybe 20 at night.

However, if you're not set on having a Chernarus server I recommend changing your server to Lingor or Takistan. Then you're pretty much guaranteed to have a full server all the time. Our Lingor server is almost always full. I changed my Chernarus server to Takistan for a few hours last night and it was maxed the whole time.

If you would rather be on the public hive you can put in a ticket to transfer to it.

I appreciate you buying through my link. If you ever have any questions about your server or need help, don't hesitate to shoot me an PM and I'll help you out.

Don't buy one. There are MUCH more servers already than is needed, and most of them are underpopulated. DayZ is much less fun to play with less than 40-50 players on the map.

What he said. There's way too many server right now and not enough players anymore.

Ive been hosting a server. Was very popular got a stable pop and I was on top of the hackers fairly well. Now though I think I am done. Vilayer tells me to ban ppl as they hack, but the problem is ppl are popping onto the server, teleporting all vehicle to them, all players to them but 100m+ up so they die from falling, and then they logout. I ban. Then some other guy comes in and does it not terribly long after. No way to prevent the damage, no way to undo the damage rapidly. Players get mad at me b/c I cant prevent it, I ticket to vilayer and they say just ban ppl as they come into the server while I'm on if I dont know them.

Summary, vilayer instructs me to ban ppl I dont know while they are loading into the server, b/c they won't allow me to password or lock server. So per vilayer I should sit staring at rcon and ban ppl b4 they even get onto the server. Waste of my time.

Ive been hosting a server. Was very popular got a stable pop and I was on top of the hackers fairly well. Now though I think I am done. Vilayer tells me to ban ppl as they hack, but the problem is ppl are popping onto the server, teleporting all vehicle to them, all players to them but 100m+ up so they die from falling, and then they logout. I ban. Then some other guy comes in and does it not terribly long after. No way to prevent the damage, no way to undo the damage rapidly. Players get mad at me b/c I cant prevent it, I ticket to vilayer and they say just ban ppl as they come into the server while I'm on if I dont know them.

Summary, vilayer instructs me to ban ppl I dont know while they are loading into the server, b/c they won't allow me to password or lock server. So per vilayer I should sit staring at rcon and ban ppl b4 they even get onto the server. Waste of my time.

There should be the option to password servers any time now.

• Like 1