Sign in to follow this  
jdz (DayZ)

Helicopter crashes, do they ruin the intensity?

I remember when I first started playing DayZ, to get anything half decent you'd need to go to Stary or the NWAF.

It was so intense and awesome travelling to these places, even more so if you came out alive and with a new weapon you'd earnt!

This was damn near a suicide mission each time, there were always snipers around or other people there wanting to grab some sweet equipment or guns but these days they're graveyards.

I really don't understand why I can find 2 AS50s on one helicopter crash site yet I've never found an SVD at the barracks and I practically live at the NWAF.

I've looted the NWAF 3-4 times today, that is all of the hangars and both barracks and not seen a single person or picked up anything of worth yet the other day on another spawn I found a helicopter with a ghillie,2 AS50s

It really does seem very backwards to me

Edited by jdz

It would be slightly unrealistic if you only found beans on a military vehicle though wouldn't it.

And I know many people who have NEVER found a downed chopper. It's only easy for some.

High end gear is too easy to find for numerous reasons.

Chopper crashes certainly do fit in to the discussion.

Those people that haven't found them generally tend to be the ones who never leave the coast or head north, if I want to, I can easily find all of the crash sites within 30-40 minutes if I want.

Even faster if I've got a helicopter up and running, it's ridiculous.

They are far to common

Oh and by the way, I am fully geared atm and all of the gear I have is from loot spawns or helicopter crashes and that has only taken 3-4 hours

Edited by jdz

Luck of the draw.

I think you are just a very lucky guy with Downed Heli's. I only ever find ones with medical supplies.

Chopper crashes should spawn such things as M24s,DMRs and assault rifles.

That is something else that bugs the shit out of me, the most powerful weapon in the game is faaaaaar more common than a rifle like the M24 or SVD. I've only ever found 4-5 M24s

Especially considering there is 4 each restart and some servers restart once every 3 hours, that's a good 8 helicopter crashes a day and I'd be willing to place a bet that not one SVD would spawn in that time, they should be the most common sniper rifle in the damn game!

Loot spawns need a fix, maybe not for the mod but at least for standalone.

Edited by jdz

another one of these threads? People still don't understand the duped items and spawned in weapons? I promise you, unless you have a helicopter crash, you will not find all the crashed ones in 30-40 minutes, so stop bsing. The crashes can be so spread out at times, and a lot of times if you actually play on a high pop server, most will be looted. Sure, if you want to go on a 5 man server and run around you can find more guns. i have found quite a few crashed helicopters and still haven't found an as50. The best I have done is an fn-fal, Nvg, DMR, and two m249saws(both were on one helicopter).

another one of these threads? People still don't understand the duped items and spawned in weapons? I promise you, unless you have a helicopter crash, you will not find all the crashed ones in 30-40 minutes, so stop bsing. The crashes can be so spread out at times, and a lot of times if you actually play on a high pop server, most will be looted. Sure, if you want to go on a 5 man server and run around you can find more guns. i have found quite a few crashed helicopters and still haven't found an as50. The best I have done is an fn-fal, Nvg, DMR, and two m249saws(both were on one helicopter).

Sometimes they are spread out. Sometimes they are all in the same field. That is the luck of the draw.

Seen every weapon spawn at them. Just never any NVGs.

I agree with Ajvkorn in that duping is the worst issue at hand currently but later on it may be worth looking at reducing high end weapons or maybe all weapons in general.

Even without dubing I would have like 5 of all high end items from helis(as50,107,l85,fall etc... they are way too common, I would make that only 1 spawns at restart/or in certain time cycle. And the loot % would be much lower...

Doest make difference if its 1 or 40 player server, same amount of items will be spawned... if I dont get all of them there is lots of other peeps running with those guns. Overal spawned item % is high still.

ps. dont get me wrong, dubing is an issue too, big one.

Edited by Zeppa

Best i've done on a heli crash was probably a glitch. Every possible spawn was taken by either an AS50 or M107.

So yeah, like a dozen .50 cal weapons just sitting there.

I can assure you, I am not bull shitting. Today I set out on my motorbike to look for helicopter crashes and I found all 4 of them within 30 minutes, two in the veresnik hill area and 2 around Polana/Gorka.

These ones didn't have particularly good loot on them but I've found others with 2 AS50 at one time, same goes for L85s and other 'rare' items. Also found a set of NVGs on one north of Novy and then a set 2 days later at the Polana factory.

Also, read the part where I mentioned being fully geared just from helicopter spawns and loot spawns, it's ridiculous.

I never once took anything out of a rent or off a player on this character and he is only hours old.

yea for serious, helicopter crash sites are just too plentiful. I mean like finding military loot at a crashed military helicopter??? fuck that! they should spawn peanuts and inflight magazines and if your lucky, I mean really lucky, you find a chicken cordon bleu dinner.

but really seriously, just because you exploit the game by running the crashed helicopter loop, doesn't mean that its safe to assume everyone does.

personal integrity seems to be even more rare than friendlys these dayz...

• Like 2

yea for serious, helicopter crash sites are just too plentiful. I mean like finding military loot at a crashed military helicopter??? fuck that! they should spawn peanuts and inflight magazines and if your lucky, I mean really lucky, you find a chicken cordon bleu dinner.

but really seriously, just because you exploit the game by running the crashed helicopter loop, doesn't mean that its safe to assume everyone does.

personal integrity seems to be even more rare than friendlys these dayz...

Hes just saying lower the probablity of "rare" items spawning not take them out alltogether and replace them with beans, and if im honest i will agree with him my first week playing the game i came across two chopper crash sites and found 50 cal snipers at both.

Edited by luke688

I found only my second helicopter crash last night. I found it strange that I have seen next to none because I'm almost always running in wilderness areas where they seem to spawn to avoid being on the main road, most of my navigation is done via map and compass (gets frustrating sometimes :P). Of those two, one had shotgun shells, M107 Mags, MP5SD Mags, STANAG Mags, minor med supplies and an AK. The other had a Bizon and 1 mag for it, and then the same general loot military ammunition but no .50 cals.

As other people in this thread have noted, simply because you guys are running the gauntlet on vehicles looking for the downed choppers doesn't mean that everyone who plays the game needs to be handicapped. Sure, they could lower the chance of spawn, but at this point, from where I'm standing the loot chance is fine. I've found two choppers in +/- 4-5 weeks of play.

• Like 2

have been all over the map and only found one heli crash, and it had a gillie and a svd. Havent seen one since, and i spend most my time in the country. way out in the sticks.

Met a guy in here a few dayz ago. I picked him up in a truck I repaired which blew his mind then drove him around looking for helicopter crash sites, we found one and he couldn't believe it. Made me smile how excited he was. The next day we played and he died to chopper bandits as did I. Needless to say I told him the best part is starting it all over again. Hopefully he listened :). As far as the loot on them, all depends on how active your server is, I wouldn't mind them being a bit more rare at all.

Hes just saying lower the probablity of "rare" items spawning not take them out alltogether and replace them with beans, and if im honest i will agree with him my first week playing the game i came across two chopper crash sites and found 50 cal snipers at both.

yea I understand what he's saying, and I understand what you're saying, and if you two were the only people to play dayz I would agree. however, there are thousands of different players with different playstyles and interests in the game. by what right do you get to dictate how they should have to play the game based soley off your personal experience (perhaps a poll is in order to get a better number).

coupled with the fact that its far easier to loot a sniper on elektro hill, find a 50cal in a dupe tent, or loot cycle the barracks or military tents, I think helicopter loot spawns are no cause for concern just yet.

I'm fairly certain that the majority

of players haven't even found one yet, or have even bothered to look for one. in the several that I've stumbled across, I have found one as50, one.

though if you think that crash sites are far to common, there is nothing stopping you from hiding the weapons or letting your backpack eat them hehe...

Edited by ptk

i'm around in the wilderness all the time since 2 months, even between stary and NWA and i really never found a crash site. maybe i just overlook them, hm.

I'm sorry, but knowing you can find high-value loot in NWAF and STARY seems like it's taking the adventure out of the game. It's just another raid dungeon.

I found two chopper crashes in half an hour once, an AKM in one and a .50 cal sniper in another. I'd even found another chopper crash with my first SAW in it that same day. Since then I haven't seen a chopper crash with anything in it but a shit ton of ammo. And overall in three months of this game I've seen 6 chopper crashes. That's one chopper crash every two weeks.

Step outside of yourself for a second and stop worrying about how well the game works for you. There are hundreds of thousands of other players on the servers and they have to play by the same rules. You got lucky, they won't, so please try not to break the game for them by taking away an unpredictable rare loot drop and forcing everyone to gangbang a 2000 square foot stretch of pavement. That shit's already making the game boring. You should be trying to spread the game out instead of force all gameplay into a first-person [insert Warcraft reference here] run like total amateur hour.

• Like 2

I'm sorry, but knowing you can find high-value loot in NWAF and STARY seems like it's taking the adventure out of the game. It's just another raid dungeon.

Eventually you will know which buildings spawn good loot, that's part of the game. The fun is getting there without dying to either the elements or players or Zeds and then hoping your trip was worth while. I have made several trips to NWAF and Stary and come up empty handed. There is no guarantee with loot, Server hopping aside. I am hoping in the standalone server hopping is much harder to do, that way those trips with no loot make you keep wanting to come back in a few hours and check back.

• Like 1

Heli crashes are faily easy to find if you know where to look, as people have said. Some of them have garbage loot, some have already been looted. Although, you will find some with multiple of the same guns. I've found 2 M107s at a crash site, then 2 MK48's at another. It kind of does ruin the intensity. I remember my first couple weeks I never saw a crashed chopper and was just trying to get a vehicle up and running. Running across a player with a 50cal sniper, or an LMG was pretty awesome. Now it's a joke, you can find these guns everywhere. Although I don't blame the chopper crashes solely, it's also the dupers and the game glitches.

I get a kick out of different peoples' game experiences. I was so thrilled the other day, I found my very first crashed helicopter in a month of playing. It had already been looted, but it was the first one I'd ever seen.

If you've got a vehicle, it might be trivial to find them, but if you don't, it's tougher.

I get a kick out of different peoples' game experiences. I was so thrilled the other day, I found my very first crashed helicopter in a month of playing. It had already been looted, but it was the first one I'd ever seen.

If you've got a vehicle, it might be trivial to find them, but if you don't, it's tougher.

I get a kick out of the idea that since some people play the game a certain way that is "too easy" they immediately call for a nerf (Less chopper crashes with less loot) so they have to spend an extra 30 minutes to find a crash.

Those people that haven't found them generally tend to be the ones who never leave the coast or head north, if I want to, I can easily find all of the crash sites within 30-40 minutes if I want.

Even faster if I've got a helicopter up and running, it's ridiculous.

They are far to common

Oh and by the way, I am fully geared atm and all of the gear I have is from loot spawns or helicopter crashes and that has only taken 3-4 hours

Just not true, I spend most of my time im the north and I average one downed chopper with loot a week. The downed choppers are fresh military crash sites while the barracks are a fixed location that survivors have been looting, so in terms of realism the helicopter crash should have better gear.

I guess I could find more if I was setting out to find them, but after getting basic gear a player kill or two usually does the trick so I am rarely going on missions to find a crash site. The high tier loot problem is not really a product if helicopter crash sites, dupers and scripters are the main culprit.

Edited by Zombie Jesus

I used to go to the airfield and it was so intense and scary! about 6 times i got nothing very special. I dreamed of having NV goggles back then.

Untill i finally found a MK48 mod 0 which i only fired once on a wandering sheep and then was killed approaching a deer stand (always check if someones in there first).

I have never seen a crash site and ive been all over the map many times. But now i can run for 10 minutes up the west side of the map and find some tents full of as50's, satchel bombs, gps, nv, whatever... and it feels stupid. (there was a tent there with 45 tents inside it)

Who need crash sites and buildings when u have campsites/weapons factories lined up the left side of the map.

Maybe we should lose tents, it might make things better.

• Like 1