schrapple

Have I muted direct chat?

I have had an issue with direct chat where others can see what I type but I can't see anything typed by them, this problem is only in direct chat as vehicle chat channel works fine. I am not the only one having this issue.

I have been thinking about it and I was wondering have we somehow muted our direct chat channel? It would explain why others can hear us but we can't hear others, if we have how do we unmute it?

If you press "P" in game and select the player who is speaking(click unmute), can't you hear him?

Edited by Treg

If you press "P" in game and select the player who is speaking(click unmute), can't you hear him?

If a tree falls in the forest with nobody around....does it make a sound?

• Like 1

If a tree falls in the forest with nobody around....does it make a sound?

It makes sound...but maybe it's a muted tree.. B)

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses guys, I was really looking for a technical answers to my question not so much a philosophical answer to it. I have checked and it shows all player are not muted but still can hear or see anybodies typing when they are in range on the direct chat channel.

Same goes for me, i cant see what others write in direct chat, nor hear them.

I tested this out by a group of 4 people, i wrote "Can you see what im typing? Nod your head if you do" and they all noded their heads. I play on 60 people server which is mostly full, and ive yet to see or hear anyone type/talk. Same for other servers. And all audio volumes turned up to max and Im in direct communication

There are a heap of us that are effected by it but I don't know how to get something done about it? I've tried bug reports but hear nothing back, it really does make the game near impossible to play.

I've tried to gathered some tips, here's what I've got. (I also found out the majority with this problem has the Steam version of ArmA)

* Try pressing "Verify integrity of game cache" on the game ArmA OA and Combined Operations in your Steam gamelist. (This solved it for a guy who had exactly the same problem as us)

and if that fails

* Reinstall the game (someone said this would solve it 100%)

Another guy who had the same problem, but didn't have a mic, bought a mic and installed it, and said that after that he could see what people wrote. (Unlikely the mic has something to do with people typing text, but if you have a mic but its not plugged in its worht a try)

I will test this as soon as i get a chance, but please respond here if you tried it and if it made any difference

I've not had time to try any of these yet as i am not at home

Edited by Axemurder

You can only see or hear direct comms when inside a certain distance from each other, too far away & it won't show.

You can only see or hear direct comms when inside a certain distance from each other, too far away & it won't show.

Why didn't I think of that.

I have had an issue with direct chat where others can see what I type but I can't see anything typed by them, this problem is only in direct chat as vehicle chat channel works fine. I am not the only one having this issue.

I have been thinking about it and I was wondering have we somehow muted our direct chat channel? It would explain why others can hear us but we can't hear others, if we have how do we unmute it?

I think you need to be within 30m to see/hear direct chat.