Sign in to follow this  
M8EO

FN FAL AN/PVS-4 or DMR?

Hello,

I recently found an FN FAL AN/PVS-4 at a heli crash site, and it looks pretty damn awesome. I like the NV scope, and i hear that it is a very rare find. However, after thinking a bit, i realised that the DMR is very similar, if not better: a scope which can have NV (i do have NVGs so it is good at night), it has a zoomable scope, and has a longer effective range. This doesn't really make sense to me, as i found a couple DMRs in low-yield places, such as Balota Airstrip, whereas i've only ever found one FN FAL AN/PVS-4, at a crash site; Why would a very rare gun not be as good as a reasonably common gun?!

Thanks.

it completely depends on your play style, apart from DMR is two shots to the body FAL is one, and their effective range varies. See for your self =)

DMR

260px-Weapon_DMR.png Magazine Size 20 Ammo Type(s) 7.62x51mm Magazine Type(s) DMR Mag Damage 8000 Blood Fire Modes Semi Shots to Kill body: 2

head: 1 Effective Range 800m Rate of Fire High Recoil Moderate Noise Very high Zeroing No (using mil-dots, up to 800m) Location(s) General Military, Barracks, Heli Crash Site Rarity Rare Attachments Sniper scope Alternate version(s) N/A

FN FAL

256px-Weapon_FN_FAL.png Magazine Size 20 Ammo Type(s) 7.62x51mm Magazine Type(s) FAL Mag Damage 8000 Blood Fire Modes Semi/Burst Shots to Kill body: 1

head: 1 Effective Range 400m Rate of Fire Moderate Recoil High Noise High Zeroing No Location(s) Heli Crash Site, Barracks Rarity Extremely Rare Attachments Alternate version(s) FN FAL AN/PVS-4

Edited by Carlii92

Ah right the FAL is 1 shot kill? I didn't realise that. How is this, though? As i believe they both deal the same damage: 8000?

I just found a DMR and 4 magazines, haven't used it yet I logged out at my camp as soon as I found it. Some bandits around Electro are in for some shit.

Ah right the FAL is 1 shot kill? I didn't realise that. How is this, though? As i believe they both deal the same damage: 8000?

i think it means that if you shoot them in any other part of the body apart from the head/chest then it will deal 8000 damage, i'm not to sure on that though. but i know from my own experience with the DMR.. if you don't hit your target in the head, then it will take more than one shot. Whereas i've hit someone in the chest with the FAL from 300M and it's killed them straight away.

Edited by Carlii92

i think it means that if you shoot them in any other part of the body apart from the head/chest then it will deal 8000 damage, i'm not to sure on that though. but i know from my own experience with the DMR.. if you don't hit your target in the head, then it will take more than one shot. Whereas i've hit someone in the chest with the FAL from 300M and it's killed them straight away.

Ok that sounds good. I was only using the dmr for night shooting anyways, so the nv scope should be useful :) what do you think I should use? I personally am leaning towards the fal, but I think that is just because if it's awesome look and rarity lol.

Ok that sounds good. I was only using the dmr for night shooting anyways, so the nv scope should be useful :) what do you think I should use? I personally am leaning towards the fal, but I think that is just because if it's awesome look and rarity lol.

I've never found one with the NV scope on it, only with the ordinary iron sights. Like goodfellarocca said it would be useless during the day, if you cant turn the NV off on the scope >_>. So unless your planning on night time shooting. Use the DMR as you can use your NV's anyway when scoping with it at night. and just set up a camp somewhere and store your FAL somewhere safe until you need it ^_^

Yes I have a camp :) and in the day i use my as50, and I could use it at night, but I felt that changing my video settings was wrong now that I have Nvgs lol. Think about ONLY in a night time scenario - dmr or fal? I think maybe fal because it is quieter and 1 shot kill, and it doesn't really need to be long range if you're in the night- just sneak up on them ;)

DMR overall is better, can use it in more situations(day) plus a lot more common of ammo. FAL is rare, sounds badass, if you can play consistently at night to put it to good use then it's pretty much preference of weapon..

In that case... I'd use the FAL at night - purely because i like to be closer to the action instead of sitting all the way back in some trees with a sniper. And it sounds like a BOSS ^^

Hell yeah lol fal it is then. Will see how it turns out :) thanks a lot everyone :D

DMR by far.

The FAL is limited to night time use and the scope isn't great for close range.

The DMR on the other hand can be used at night time (with night vision) and daytime, it has the ability to zoom.

It's obviously not great for close range but that's why Alice packs and Coyote backpacks are great, room for an assault rifle.

it completely depends on your play style, apart from DMR is two shots to the body FAL is one, and their effective range varies. See for your self =)

FAL is 2 shots, not 1 shot first of all. FAL deals 8000 blood, not 12k+. Secondly, why not take both if you have a 10 slot+ bag till you find something else?

DMR is one of the most versatile rifles in dayz and finding DMR/M14 ammo is pretty easy compared to FAL ammo which can only be found at crashed heli sites. AS50, according to good percentage of people on this forum seem to think that it is the best sniper rifle followed closely by the DMR,M107,SVD. If you somehow managed to get your hands on NVGs then it would be good idea to focus on mastering DMR considering you can use them both together at night.

The FN FAL is actually not rare at all, heli crash sites arent hard to find, and usually FN FALs and Bizons spawn there like crazy

The DMR is clearly better for long range combat, the FN FAL only exceeds in medium to close range combat because of full auto (or burst, dont remember), which is negated by the scope though

Also, note that you can't turn of Nightvision on the FN FAL ANPVS which makes the gun completely useless at day