Time goblin

Dayz servers are the worst

I am fairly new to this game but i am finding it REALLY difficult to join a server and comparing to other games Dayz servers are unjoinable mostly because:

1)Version mismatch- i updated to the .6 and find that there are hardly any servers that are up to date... how are they allowed to run old versions of the game beats me

2) stuck on loading screen- this happens commonly when i find a server that doesnt have a ping of over 200

3) low fps on some servers while not on others- this is just plain irritating how is that that i get 1-2 fps on some servers?

4) admins dont understand the meaning of a public server- this is starting to happen more and more Admins are just kicking anyone that joins their servers if their servers is public you shouldnt be able to just randomly kick everyone that joins if they want a private one put a password on their server...

5)(only today) i join servers that are the same version as me in both Dayz and arma and i get a message saying that the version is not right at the server end even though the server finder reports the same version

6) script restriction #xx- happens less to me now but 40 and 90 are constantly popping up why? and what are these scripts

Ok these are the ones that i could think of right now ( as i had just tried to join a server for what must have been 40 minutes only to be rejected and ended up just going off Dayz)

Thanks (and yes i am mad atm) :)

Put some time into finding one single good server. Some admins actually advertise their server on the forums. But because all the servers are run by private people instead of the DayZ staff or anything, you will run into this kind of thing. If somebody is kicking you repeatedly, report them. If a server is locked, report them. If you've got bad FPS, tell the admin so they can force a restart (which can fix some things like that). At the end of the day, forum admins are players too that want to care for their particular server, scare off hackers, and ensure that the server is well-run.

• Like 1

1)Version mismatch- i updated to the .6 and find that there are hardly any servers that are up to date... how are they allowed to run old versions of the game beats me

It's alpha, so a new version doesn't necessarily mean a more bugfree version. There can be game breaking stuff in the newer version, so they are getting adopted a little slower than let's say Team Fortress 2 with an entire QA department behind it.

2) stuck on loading screen- this happens commonly when i find a server that doesnt have a ping of over 200
Yeah, this relates to point 3) in a way. Try to find servers that restart frequently (<6 hours between the restarts is good imo). Also, if at first you don't succeed, try again. Sometimes there is a hiccup and you'll get stuck on one of the screens - again, alpha. If loading takes a long time, it's usually a good sign that you'll have terrible fps and that the server hasn't been restarted for quite a while.
3) low fps on some servers while not on others- this is just plain irritating how is that that i get 1-2 fps on some servers?
see above. This is a problem that seems to be somewhat common. I'm not sure what exactly causes this, but it is linked to the server AND the client. The longer a server runs, the worse your fps get. Once it is restarted you'll get your "normal" fps back. e.g. Last night I joined a server and had 4 fps just lying in the forest and a message said "restart in 5 minutes". I waited till it restarted, rejoined the same server and bam! 50-70 fps.

Not everyone experiences this tho. I was on a server with side chat enabled and asked if people had fps issues when i was down to <8 fps and only 3 out 25 people said they have the same problem. This is not very representative of course, since people who have that problem usually leave immediately after discovering that they have low fps on that server. So it definitely has something to do with the client as well.

4) admins dont understand the meaning of a public server- this is starting to happen more and more Admins are just kicking anyone that joins their servers if their servers is public you shouldnt be able to just randomly kick everyone that joins if they want a private one put a password on their server...
Servers connected to the official hive are not allowed to be password protected for obvious reasons. Some guys don't get that and try to circumvent it by kicking everyone, but everyone can rent a server, sooo... deal with it i guess :(
5)(only today) i join servers that are the same version as me in both Dayz and arma and i get a message saying that the version is not right at the server end even though the server finder reports the same version
Get DayZ Commander. Sometimes names and server descriptions are not updated by the admins and so a server will run newer versions than the name says. DayZ Commander fetches the correct arma and dayz version and let's you filter for servers that match your versions. On top it gives you stats about which are the most commonly used versions.

At the moment the most common Arma patch is 96585 with 46% and the most common DayZ version is 1.7.2.6 with 47% out of almost 4800 servers. The last version, 1.7.2.5, is still on 33%.

6) script restriction #xx- happens less to me now but 40 and 90 are constantly popping up why? and what are these scripts
No idea. Tried google? Edited by jurrasstoil

Try playing on a Vilayer hive server like our server which you can find by searching 1/9 WDU Server in your multiplayer browser. You will have to create a new character that you can only play on Vilayer Hive servers (which number over 100), but you will have drastically reduced loading times, tents that actually save gear, vehicles that spawn properaly etc. On our server we have a free teamspeak that players who are on the server can use. You can create your own channels with password etc. Also, server owners/admins such as myself are available in the teamspeak if you have problems.