Sign in to follow this  
LightbulbGuy

I'm Sure I'm Not The Only One: Opinions On The Game's Sniper Rifles

Well, let's get this little bit out of the way. This is a thread about sniper rifles. However, no, I'm not going to complain about their capabilities to one hit kill someone. No, I'm not going to whine about how I died to one and want them removed from the game. No, I'm not going to argue that using it is a no skill en devour (for the record I know how hard it can be to hit a moving target reliably). And no, I'm not going to come in here and brag about how "leet" my sniping skills are either.

Anyways, I'm rambling now. I think it's time to get off that and get on to the actual subject of this thread.

When I started playing this game I died my fair share of times to those snipers off in the hills. I fell over dead with -20,000 blood wondering what in the hell just happened to me. And when I found my first M107 sitting in the flaming wreckage of a crashed helicopter my first thought was of course "This is a big gun, with a big scope and a big bang. And I like it".

I got to find and use my fair share of M107s and the odd AS50 if I ever found myself lucky enough. I've picked off people from far and close watching them fall with no defense. And of course I've gotten my ass handed to me on silver platter just as much by bush wookies off on the horizon wielding these very weapons. For a lot, they're fun. They're big and loud and satisfying to use. And I respect that.

But as time has gone on, and I've played more and more. As my play style has changed and I stopped shooting on sight, or shouting friendly to ever player I thought I could be mates with. As I run around with my Hero skin, enjoying the scenery, getting killed and doing my fair share of killing. I've come to find myself literally passing up the rare M107 when I stumble into it at a Heli Site. When I find the odd bandit sniper on the hill, and somehow manage to kill him and begin to eyeball his AS50, I find myself just hiding his body and moving on.

Now, I'm not saying I don't enjoy these guns. I'm not saying that people shouldn't use them, in fact I encourage people lucky enough to hold one (legitimately) to enjoy it while it lasts. But for some reason I just find myself drawn to the other snipers in the game more. I love to snipe, always have in most FPS games I play. But nowadays in this game, you know what my dream sniper is? The M24. I never seem to find it, it feels so rare even compared to the games two .50 caliber rifles. But every time I find one it's a little flutter in my stomach and smile on my face.

For me, I've come to learn that I enjoy being a little gimped. It adds a flare of fear, a feeling of being the underdog. Sure, it often results in being outclassed and thus losing the fight, but when you can, and do, succeed over the "big dog" it makes the game that much more exhilarating. It brings back the fear and panic I had back when I was a little fresh spawn running along the coast with a Winchester and a Makarov, stumbling through Cherno. At least, in my own little way. I know that's not for everyone.

So, to all you snipers or survivors out there. Do you ever find yourself passing on the games more rare and powerful weapons to get a bit more of a thrill? A little bit of a challenge? A handicap of sorts? Or you do you just upgrade any time to can to the strongest metal stick you can lay your looting hands on?

• Like 5

I don't like snipers at all. I always gravitate towards the assault rifles, but nothing beats a Winchester. I'll drop most guns for the Winchester. It's not amazing, but I like how it looks, sounds, etc. Picking off people with a thermal scope L85 just doesn't feel right.

I passed up a M107 yesterday, found it in a tent by Stary and an AS50 at a heli crash a couple of weeks ago. As I play alone the only sniper rifle I would consider picking up is a DMR, sniping is not really my style but they can be useful and DMR ammo grows on trees.

The 50cal ones are very specific tools for a specific jobs and shouldn't be picked up by lone wolves unless you ONLY want to snipe imo

Im in the same boat - I cant use a sniper for the life of me, I stick to a trusty AKM or M14. Best choices for packing a punch if you cant snipe :P

However, I have one friend that will not use ANYTHING other than his AS50, literally after he dies he sits around like a melon until we find one.

Another friend swears by his DMR and shoots that thing in towns.

I think its more down to preference if anything, I mean I went through a phase when I wouldnt use anything other than an MP5 or a FAL just because of how they sounded.

Well, let's get this little bit out of the way. This is a thread about sniper rifles. However, no, I'm not going to complain about their capabilities to one hit kill someone. No, I'm not going to whine about how I died to one and want them removed from the game. No, I'm not going to argue that using it is a no skill en devour (for the record I know how hard it can be to hit a moving target reliably). And no, I'm not going to come in here and brag about how "leet" my sniping skills are either.

Anyways, I'm rambling now. I think it's time to get off that and get on to the actual subject of this thread.

When I started playing this game I died my fair share of times to those snipers off in the hills. I fell over dead with -20,000 blood wondering what in the hell just happened to me. And when I found my first M107 sitting in the flaming wreckage of a crashed helicopter my first thought was of course "This is a big gun, with a big scope and a big bang. And I like it".

I got to find and use my fair share of M107s and the odd AS50 if I ever found myself lucky enough. I've picked off people from far and close watching them fall with no defense. And of course I've gotten my ass handed to me on silver platter just as much by bush wookies off on the horizon wielding these very weapons. For a lot, they're fun. They're big and loud and satisfying to use. And I respect that.

But as time has gone on, and I've played more and more. As my play style has changed and I stopped shooting on sight, or shouting friendly to ever player I thought I could be mates with. As I run around with my Hero skin, enjoying the scenery, getting killed and doing my fair share of killing. I've come to find myself literally passing up the rare M107 when I stumble into it at a Heli Site. When I find the odd bandit sniper on the hill, and somehow manage to kill him and begin to eyeball his AS50, I find myself just hiding his body and moving on.

Now, I'm not saying I don't enjoy these guns. I'm not saying that people shouldn't use them, in fact I encourage people lucky enough to hold one (legitimately) to enjoy it while it lasts. But for some reason I just find myself drawn to the other snipers in the game more. I love to snipe, always have in most FPS games I play. But nowadays in this game, you know what my dream sniper is? The M24. I never seem to find it, it feels so rare even compared to the games two .50 caliber rifles. But every time I find one it's a little flutter in my stomach and smile on my face.

For me, I've come to learn that I enjoy being a little gimped. It adds a flare of fear, a feeling of being the underdog. Sure, it often results in being outclassed and thus losing the fight, but when you can, and do, succeed over the "big dog" it makes the game that much more exhilarating. It brings back the fear and panic I had back when I was a little fresh spawn running along the coast with a Winchester and a Makarov, stumbling through Cherno. At least, in my own little way. I know that's not for everyone.

So, to all you snipers or survivors out there. Do you ever find yourself passing on the games more rare and powerful weapons to get a bit more of a thrill? A little bit of a challenge? A handicap of sorts? Or you do you just upgrade any time to can to the strongest metal stick you can lay your looting hands on?

yes I love the camo svd even though I am not as proficient with it as other sniper weapons

i run a fn fal and as50 combo usually i love it cause it kills people with ease only prob is i cant do shit to zombies unless i pull out secondary

Edited by dinoSF

I used to roll with a M24, but switching it out for a L11 that me and my squad found in a hacker's tent city,

I've never fired my gun in 90% of all encounters with other players, and the only time I do is during counter-sniping ops, but even then, I rarely land the killing shot (all of my squad mates have an AS50 or M107 in their backpacks).

My first goal in the game was to find either the M107 laser gun (as I used to call it) or the AS50, but when I realized how much of a common "very rare" gun both were, I decided to switch to the M24 (and I still keep it in my backpack even though I already have a new favorite sniper rifle).