Sign in to follow this  
RobV3

Hi.

I'm new to these forums! Just wanted to say hi.

I've been on DayZ for a couple weeks now so I figured I might as well join the game forums.

CAUTION: Do not continue reading if you do not care about others' opinions.

I love the idea behind the game by the way. It reminds me of a game mode in Garry's Mod called Experiment. In Experiment it was kind of the same system as DayZ, minus the zombies and plus a sort of economy. Instead of random loot spawning you had to buy items by buying items that make money and defending them (actually pretty fun). People were essentially anonymous aside from a description they could type of themselves that would be seen when they were aimed at (for example, Tall, dark hair, small mustache). DayZ seems to create and amplify alot of the feelings of Experiment such as isolation, the constant threat of attack, and the need to survive among others.

Also, I've noticed many people complaining about there not being enough incentive to work together. I don't think I am the only one who sees the flaw in this logic though. In experiment, people could back stab you as well, just like this. People could kill you and take your items for their own gain. Because of this, you would tend to group with only people you trust. In DayZ, which appears to want to simulate the social interactions of a hypothetical zombie apocalypse, I don't see why you would think any differently. Any stranger you see wandering around a world where survival is rare and supplies are limited should be treated with extreme caution. Most people seem to prioritize themselves and those close to them more than strangers, and as such, it is not safe to expect friendliness in such a tough environment. In Experiment and DayZ, I tend to think of people as more animalistic. They want to survive and prosper above all.

Even still, the benefits of having friends in the apocalypse are great. I have learned from experience that having another gun, pair of eyes, and backpack is great. Sometimes your friends will hear or see things you missed. They can save your life and can make your group a force to be reckoned with. Also, probably most importantly, they get rid of the feelings of isolation and paranoia; you can relax a little bit with someone else watching your back.

The only things I would add to this mod would be:

Remove the humanity system altogether (We know what we do)

Give the murder counter a delay or remove it(Magically confirming kills with a number? Ew. Takes some of the caution away.) Perhaps you could have the kill added when you check the body?

Make bicycles more common

DO NOT FIX Zombies walking inside until they can be made more stable/less teleporty.

Force all servers into first person only as Arma was intended to be played to give the prone stance its inherent flaw (low visibility), immerse the user more, and to eliminate people that camp behind a wall while seeing the world around them still.

Honestly, even in this game's current state, I could see myself playing DayZ for quite a long time. It brings feelings stronger than experiment with its massive map and constant need for supplies. If this mod continues into Arma 3 I will probably have a minor heart attack from the excitement. Just sayin'. As this is only the alpha build, I love the potential this mod presents.

TL : DR

Hi. I like DayZ and the social interactions it brings. I think teamwork and trust already have enough benefits and that people should stop trying to find friends among strangers in a disaster-ridden world. I love this idea and intend to follow it as long as it lasts. Come at me, apocalypse.