Sign in to follow this  
AzVirus

would this be a good videocard/deal

I had a GTX 280, I was looking on CL and someone has 2 GTX 460's for $200

Would that be a good upgrade or more of a side step?

It would be an upgrade, yes. But in my opinion you should just cop it on the chin and purchase a 670 or 680 and be done with it.

Edited by br00mmmm

Like br00mmmm said its an upgrade but you are upgrading to something already dated a few years but by no means im saying its bad but if you dont want to upgrade soon i say go after 500 series at least. 600 series would be ideal nowadays.

A GTX 460 for $200 is a rip off at this point. If you wait a month or two for the new 660Ti's to saturate the market, the prices will plummet.

On a side-note: many publications are rating the GTX660 TI's to be the best bang-for-your-buck right now at about $300.

Also, a 460 would only be a marginal upgrade. You can easily get a GTX 560 TI for about $250 that will knock the socks off the 460. This too, will see a price drop in the near future.

EDIT: Missed the two video cards part. In either case, I think a wise investment would be in a single 560 TI for about the same price, or better yet a 660 TI for $100 more.

A 460 SLI setup will be somewhat comparable to a GTX 570. A GTX 660 TI beats a 580 in most benchmarks.

You can always SLI a second 560 TI after the prices drop in another month or so.

Edited by MisterFister

I had a GTX 280, I was looking on CL and someone has 2 GTX 460's for $200

Would that be a good upgrade or more of a side step?

For around 20-30 more bucks you can get a GTX 560Ti. Cross-fire/SLI is over-rated imo unless you have a beast of a rig. I'd go single card for around 200 or so and you'll see a great improvement.

A GTX 460 for $200 is a rip off at this point. If you wait a month or two for the new 660Ti's to saturate the market, the prices will plummet.

On a side-note: many publications are rating the GTX660 TI's to be the best bang-for-your-buck right now at about $300.

Also, a 460 would only be a marginal upgrade. You can easily get a GTX 560 TI for about $250 that will knock the socks off the 460. This too, will see a price drop in the near future.

Exactly. I just built a new comp in april and got a 560 Ti knowing that the 600 series will be hitting soon and then I'll upgrade...

Well after thinking a little bit more, if you are coming from a gtx 280 you are probably running some sort of Core Duo or Quad 775 socket or w/e AMD equivalent is which means even if you get a newer card 600 series for example it will bottleneck a bit. Even tho the video card is for graphics you still need the horsepower on the cpu to be able to keep up with it. Just a thought,

Edited by Knight2000

Well after thinking a little bit more, if you are coming from a gtx 280 you are probably running some sort of Core Duo or Quad 775 socket or w/e AMD equivalent is which means even if you get a newer card 600 series for example it will bottleneck a bit. Even tho the video card is for graphics you still need the horsepower on the cpu to be able to keep up with it. Just a thought,

he should just build a whole new pc!!!

I am running the AMD 8650 x3 | 4GB Ram and it was 2 GTX 460'd for $200 so $100 each.

I am running the AMD 8650 x3 | 4GB Ram and it was 2 GTX 460'd for $200 so $100 each.

Still not much of a deal given that they are used and you can get great deals on new 560's for not much more if you look around.

How about a Zotac GeForce GTX 580 1536MB for $250?