Sign in to follow this  
cash4gold

Why is the log and BE system so useless?

For the last 2 hours, we have had someone teleporting to players and killing them, even shooting through walls. We have no idea who is doing it. Battleeye is not catching it. The log files show nothing but streams of garbage that tell me nothing about who I should be banning to keep my server playable.

What can I do about this?

log GUIDS on the server, search for setpos remarks in your logs. if possible find names linked to player ID's. You've got names linked to GUIDs - if you can get the information on both ends you can factor in a ban.

The log system is useless because someone was running out of space archiving their logs, so someone else decided to release dayZ 1.7.2.5 with greatly reduced server logging.

if I were you, and I know I am not - I would packetsniff on layer 3 for data to the hive. It is in plaintext.

Edited by Manta-Avoid

Now he just nuked my server twice in a row.

WTF is this shit? How are we supposed to admin our servers when these logs are completely useless? I see nothing suggesting hacks in the log.

Players are saying its a player named fluffykins yet no one with that name shows in the database. THey also say he is dropping weapons like G36c's around, and I can find nothing about that in the logs.

This is total bullshit.

What version of the script detection files are you using?

Do you see:

remoteexec.log

createvehicle.log

in your cfgdayz/battleye folder?

Gogster, yes I do. My server is on VIlayer Hive, and is running the most current version to my knowledge.

Those files are the core of your cheat checking. The scripts that people run will be in there, if you need help identifying them post back here but remove the name, GUID & IP to be on the safe side.

It could be a good idea to use the community ban list to get a lot of known cheaters off your server in one foul swoop.

http://code.google.com/p/dayz-community-banlist/

Anything specific please ask.

I have been told that for teleporting you will see alot of Create Backpack, or Assultpack entries from the same person in a very short period of time in the create vehicle log.

Yes I knew to monitor those logs, but there are very few entries within them and nothing very suspicious looking. Perhaps my logs are not functioning properly?

Also multiple people reported a specific player of telelporting to them and dropping hacked weapons such as G36c's, and then when he got killed, they said he nuked the whole server twice in a row before I logged into the RCON to try and catch him... the player's name is absolutely no where to be found. He is not listed in any of the logs or in the player database for my server. It's like he managed to circumvent Battleye completely. How is this possible? More importantly, how do I protect my server from this?

Hmmm if they're up to date I'm a bit confused why you would not see the scripts being run, this is from our logs today:

05.09.2012 10:36:53: Player (IP) GUID - #0 "if (name vehicle player == TTT5NamePl) then {_xcompiled = compile TTT5derCode;call _xcompiled;};"

There's your Thunderdome right there.

I have been told that for teleporting you will see alot of Create Backpack, or Assultpack entries from the same person in a very short period of time in the create vehicle log.

Can someone please confirm this? For the past few months we were able to manually ban pretty much every hacker, allot of work but doable in a way. Now i don`t see anything in the 3 log files i monitor but in the past week we have more hackers then ever...

Kinda lost and its getting to the point members just stop playing..

Can someone please confirm this? For the past few months we were able to manually ban pretty much every hacker, allot of work but doable in a way. Now i don`t see anything in the 3 log files i monitor but in the past week we have more hackers then ever...

Kinda lost and its getting to the point members just stop playing..

The reason for the backpack entries is that everytime you teleport it kill your char and spawns it somewhere else. The create backpack script is run at that point to give your char a backpack with that new spawn. You can also see position entries at the end of most of those code lines, alot of entires from alot of locations ina short period of time = teleporter.