Sign in to follow this  
aLmAnZo (DayZ)

Bases, vehicle ideas and spawn beacons.

For now, I am taking a break from DayZ, out of two reasons. My bachelor paper, and out of lack of security.

I feel like the main problem with the mod is how insanely unforgiving it is. I like the tention it gives, being afraid to die. But as it is now, dying means loosing hours and hours of gameplay, maybe even days. I think that is a bit to harsh.

The reason for this is simple, alot of people will play the game, collect awsome gear and then die. After that, they don't care too play anymore due to the intense amount of work that went into aquiring all that gear.

There is a few things that can help this out though. Here is a list of things I would like to see with this mod:

1: The ability to make hideouts and encampments!

There is slight indications that this is turning into reality, with the focus on fences and so forth. I really, really like where that thing is going. Having a base of operations, where you can store gear, have an armory, have a garage etc would be great. This also provides some interesting PvP elements. But as I see it, there is one requirement for this to work, it should not be possible to loot other peoples bases when they are not online.

If you somehow could bound a base too several players, counting for the group that runs the base, that would be great. When those players are online, the base can be looted.

This forces a compromize when going to scavange. Do you leave 5 guys to guard the base, and form a hunting team of 3, or do all go?

But to loose everything in the base due to the fact that no one was online is just stupid. Let containers be locked when the owning player is off line. When he is online, it's possible for everyone to loot it, and by doing that it is possible also for his friends to acess his gear. This way, people can slowly but surely build up an armory between them selves, with scattered gear throughout several players containers. When you die, you loose your gear as you do today, but have a place to go to for restocking.

Oh, and of course, if all the guys leave the base, the base can be looted by whomever!

The other thing that would be a huge advantage, is to be able to place spawn points and form formal factions. When you play together with someone and die, you'd often have to walk for miles and miles to catch up. For me, I've spendt countless hours just walking in the woods, alone with no real gameplay. I don't want this to turn into a hiking simulator, even though I find Chernarus to be a beutifull place.

And yeah, vehicles should be a bit more common, at least cars. That I say out of a realism point of view. Most people have cars, and most people don't set their car on fire when there is trouble around. Allmost all of zombie fiction depicts roads filled with abandoned cars, making traveling by car extremely difficult. I'm not saying that they should be around every corner, but a bit more common. Remember, car's arent really that useful anyway. They make alot of noise, and attracts other players as well as zombies. They are also extremely fragile, and if the spawning beacons actually happens, they are of limited value anyhow.

They CAN be used tacticly however, as a tool for a fast in, fast out sweeping and for attacking encampments, but even for that, they aren't that good.

Choppers, on the other hand, can still be rare. Choppers are insanely handy, and should thus be hard to come by.

Or, as another suggestion, uping both chopper and car availability, make fuel more rare a commodity. You might have that fancy truck, able to fit all of your friends, but have fuel only for one trip. You can have all the cars in the world for that matter, and it won't help you at all, if you don't have fuel.

Lastly, the hideout or base element would also maybe encourage trade with other factions, often at gun point, as long as we get a fix for the comms. Servers might come with ACRE and TS-servers if must be. If ACRE is implemented, radios should be rare, but not impossible to come buy. Civilians might have them as well, and of course police, health care and fire department.

Happy hunting guys!

Oh, yes. I also forgot one thing:

I would also like rare spawns of military grade stuff around military vehicles (the crashed/burned out HMWWs everywhere)

Oh' date=' yes. I also forgot one thing:

I would also like rare spawns of military grade stuff around military vehicles (the crashed/burned out HMWWs everywhere)

[/quote']

This is the only thing I agree with

that could be Real awsome, if you can buy like a Tent to spawn at or to tele to, and a box that is character bound.

Oh' date=' yes. I also forgot one thing:

[/quote']

This is the only thing I agree with

Would you like to share why?

I'd really like to hear some arguments?

And I will add a few more reasons myself.

It seems like this is heading towards coop PvP anyways. The real threat out there is other players, and I think this might lead into some interesting game play. It will actually give you a way of being able to guard your possetions, but at the same time risk loosing them. As it is now, there is no real way to save gear, and I that breaks the game for me.

And lastly, for realism. If I lived in a world like this, the first thing I'd do, was to find someone to survive with, and build a base of operations. The balance between guarding our stuff, and getting new supplies would be a constant challange in real life too. Why not here?

If there were camps, that would take a lot of planning. I do like the idea of a lock box that only you could access. I could store extra maps, compass, watch, knife, matches, binoculars, etc. All that stuff that I really care about. I find so much food that I really wouldn't need to store that.

I totally agree with this. I would love to have a base where I could put stuff. And I also loved the idea of a garage of some kind.

+1!

The main point though, is that it's not a safe spot while you are online.

This could actually be possible today, if you had enough people. Say you had a hundred people in a group, you could have guards around tents 24/7. But that isn't going to happen.

The reason for this feature is simple. Being robbed while off-line is simply stupid, but being robbed becouse you are somewhere else hunting og scavanging is your own fault for not guarding your stuff, or hiding it well enough.