Peekachoo

Banned from US 2830 for Placing Bear Traps

I was placing bear traps, and I get a message saying "Battleye: Admin Ban." My friend in the server said he saw a message saying I was beartrap glitching?

What the heck? What's wrong with bear traps? I only had 2.

There's nothing wrong with bear traps, they're a perfectly legitimate game item. Are you sure there wasn't some other reason to ban you? (by their logic, not that it's correct) Or that they may have been removing people to empty the server or make room for clan mates or something?

My friend was in the server, and he saw the ban notice. He told me it said, "Spawning bear traps," after I got kicked. I wasn't scripting, and I have never done so. I put down two bear traps in an air control tower and it appeared in the middle of the air instead of the ground, so I picked them up and moved them outside, and that's when I got kicked.

05.09.2012 14:42:24: Alternate Function Four (IP) GUID - #0 "BearTrap_DZ" 341:87 [4720,2601,9]
05.09.2012 14:42:38: Alternate Function Four (IP) GUID - #0 "BearTrap_DZ" 341:89 [4721,2600,9]
05.09.2012 14:43:10: Alternate Function Four (IP) GUID - #0 "BearTrap_DZ" 341:91 [4721,2604,8]
05.09.2012 14:43:17: vremy (IP) GUID - #0 "DZ_Backpack_EP1" 395:21 [0,0,0]
05.09.2012 14:43:21: Alternate Function Four (IP) GUID - #0 "BearTrap_DZ" 341:96 [4720,2604,8]

As you can see here, it looks fishy because bear traps are rare and I will ignore 1 or 2 lines of it, but 4 threw a flag for me. And you happened to do this at the time I had two other people spawning in 50 or 60 weapons at a time. I will remove your ban.

• Like 3

ExcelsiorDDZ a little quick on the draw :P , I've saved up a load of bear traps barbwire and went to town on buildings

Edited by :VADER:
  • Like 1

That logic is still flawed. One, what if I did have more bear traps? That doesn't mean I spawned them in. I have a tent on another server with more bear traps that I have recovered. I use them for ambushes. Secondly, I didn't even have four bear traps to begin with. Anyone picking up an item and dropping it would show the same results, as you can see from your server log. Like I said, I had two, and I picked them both up and repositioned them.

Frankly, a little warning or even questioning would have done more than some insta-ban. I didn't recall the server title being US 2830 NO MORE THAN 2 BEAR TRAPS [3P:on CH:on NT:off [-9]].

beartraps are SOOOO easy to find, they are always in those Long "barns" either in one of the four corners those buildings with 4 entrances , they usually have enfields/Winchesters/double-barrels

With the limited ability for admins to even detect who is a cheater and who is not, we have to be more proactive than not with what we CAN see. Do you think I like it when I see the server go from full to 1/2 because it was just thunderdomed and there is no possible way to determine who it was due to bypass. This way, I can find who spawns in a lot of things like satchels and ammo in preparation for a teleport attack. As far as I saw, this was fishy to me and I have lifted the ban. My apologies, I am just making an attempt to fight the majority that hack.

• Like 1

Any decent admin would kick after 4 lines of beartraps, total red flag.

I get that the rest of you just don't understand what we actually see in logs, but ignorance is no excuse for talking out of your ass. If you aren't an admin, you don't get it, and you shouldn't be talking.

• Like 1

Any decent admin would kick after 4 lines of beartraps, total red flag.

I get that the rest of you just don't understand what we actually see in logs, but ignorance is no excuse for talking out of your ass. If you aren't an admin, you don't get it, and you shouldn't be talking.

I reject your bullshit argument. It doesn't take a genius to read server logs. You're no more entitled than anyone else. Anyone who spends a minute looking into Admin section of the forum can tell the difference between 60 lines of an item spawning in/seeing an item that doesn't belong in someone's inventory, as opposed to four lines of code for a bear trap. I don't say this in attack of Excelsior as he was kind enough to look through the forums and lift the ban, but I do this to point out how admins can easily make mistakes using the same logic. If I had an AS50, dropped it and picked it up a few times, then it would show up the same way in the code.

What happens is you go from policing the black and white of what is legal and illegal in gameplay to this grey area of "Dude has two AS50s. Why would anyone have two AS50s, ever?"

What concerns me more than not being able to play on one server is not being able to play on any of them because of this "community banlist" that is up and running, just because of one admin's misinterpretation of logs.

TL;DR: You're rude, plhogan, why don't you STFU? Kthxbai.

Edited by Peekachoo

If I had an AS50, dropped it and picked it up a few times, then it would show up the same way in the code.

This is simply untrue.

• Like 1

The fact that you think an AS50 would show up in the logs is complete proof that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Guns don't show up in the logs, you'd know that if you had a server or did admin work or understood any of this instead of stamping your feet like an angry child who isn't getting his way.

Do you think that we have some kind of magical admin panel, where we press a button and everything that happens on our server is presented to us clearly and in plain text? Like we get some kind of freakin spreadsheet?

We're digging and parsing through gigabyte-sized text files of code looking for anything out of the ordinary. It's literally our only weapon. We speak an entirely different language and you're sitting here telling me you understand it.

Look, people. The main point of anything is that the person who is paying for the server has the final say...if he/she/they have a reasonable suspicion that something untoward is going on, they have the right to ban people as needed. Now, they can be merciful and unban if it's possible that there was a misunderstanding, and from what I've seen most are not asshats and will do just that...but getting all uppity about it isn't doing anyone any favors.

So let's all just chill out.