Sign in to follow this  
Baddum12

Friendly fire?

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, I searched and couldn't find an answer.

Sometimes when a death message pops up it says that the individual was killed by 'friendly fire'. I know what the term means, but does anyone know the method the game uses to determine what friendly fire is?

Let me break it down for you.

When you are logging into a game, for the majority of your load time, you are not physically in game. However, once you see the indicators on the right side of your screen (this has a bit of grey area, sometimes a little before, sometimes a little after) your character will materialize INTO the game. You will have no control until your loading process is finished, but you are 100% in game. IF you are KILLED during this time period, where you have no control over your character and are both considered in game, and not at the same time, it will count as "friendly fire." This will almost always send the player to a spawn spot on the coast with all of their gear, as well as leave a body behind to loot.

I personally witnessed a rare occasion where I was killed while loading in, relogged, and was not sent to the coast, but stood up right where I had "died". This was very peculiar, as my body was there and fully lootable. But basically, that's what it is. Hope that helps!

~Azgaurd

Thanks for the replies.

Now that I know what it means, I see that message far too often.

It is often a result of people relogging (or logging into period) high danger zones. It happens quite alot at the north-western airfield, as well as Cherno and Elektro (often on rooftops). Most of the time it is simply a poor choice to log out. Occasionally it is just bad luck and being at the wrong place at the wrong time. I personally like the system, because it allows you some leeway if you weren't given any chance to fight back. However, as I mentioned, it technically duplicates gear, and can be easily exploited. Also it is good if you want to get to the coast from up north and have no good form of transportation. All it takes is a friend, prefferably a laggier server (helps ensure success), and one bullet.

~Azgaurd

Edited by Azgaurd

One of the more common causes for this is combat logging. If you shoot a guy and he logs out, he'll sometimes log back into that same server a few minutes later, instead of server hopping. If you're angry enough at him for Alt-F4ing, you might sit there a little while and wait for him to respawn on that spot. If he does, and you pop him as he loads in, it'll be listed as friendly fire. It's somethign to do with the ArmA squad structure, since all survivors are considered BLUFOR by default.

On a related note, I think it would be cool if bandits were automatically switched to OPFOR, so that bandit/survivor fights could result in outcomes like positive vehicle destruction scores.

Oh, every single time I've seen someone get killed it said friendly fire. I thought it was just a normal thing. Nice to know.