Derezzedjack

Network upload goes up when encountering Zombies

Hello,

just a few days ago I was playing some Day Z when I noticed that my upload was going really high up while being in a server. I have an upload of 30 kbyte/s and games normally take up around 10 kb/s of it, however Day Z often goes up to 30 kb/s. This makes playing and at the same time talking over the ingame voip chat or over Teamspeak impossible as I won't be heard properly.

The last time I have played Day Z before that was a few weeks ago and I can surely say that this didn't happen then.

I'm using version 1.7.2.5 of Day Z and have played with the Arma 2 beta build 96061 and 96493. In both beta builds this happens, however a few weeks ago I wasn't using 1.7.2.5 as it wasn't out yet.

Just a few hours ago I tested again to see how my upload changes during normal gameplay (I can somehow still play fine without desyncing or anything) so I joined an empty server.

I found out that whenever I enter an area where zombies spawn, my upload goes up, the more of them spawn, the more my upload goes up until it reaches the maximum, this however also doesn't stop more zombies to spawn in and still doesn't give me desyncs or lag, but I would not be understandable over any voip, ingame and Teamspeak.

As soon as I kill a few or I simply move out of the area and they despawn it returns to the normal amount of around 10 kb/s

What should I do? Just wait for another Day Z version and hope there's a fix? I would love to get a better connection, but this is the best one I can get where I'm living. At this point I would really like to start playing more again, as I've just recently upgraded my pc, but at the current state there's not really a point if I can't talk to anyone!

I'll be thankful for any help!

The way the zombies are hosted causes this, because when you come into range for zombies to spawn they are hosted from you. The lower your upload, the more 'zombie lag' there will be. I don't think they will change this for a while, but hopefully they do alter it to be server side zombie hosting instead eventually. It makes more sense really.

Yeah, I thought so, however I don't really see the point, it's not like everyone has huge network speeds to play on. This is a real game killer for me. Thanks for the answer anyway!

Alright, normally I'm not bumping really old threads, but I still encounter the problem with the current beta patch and Day Z version 1.7.4.4. Ping and upload goes up whenever I enter or go near an area where zombies spawn. At this point I doubt that I have to be the player that spawns them (being the only player near an area so zombies spawn).

As with most developers these days I thought about writing to both @dayZombies and @dayZdevteam. I already wrote to the dev twitter when I created this thread back in September.

What should I do? In the next days I will try and reinstall Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead, but that will probably take a few days, since I have to download them over Steam.

I'm thankfull for any help at this point!

Edited by Derezzedjack