jani.ehro@gmail.com

This is the MOST antisocial game ever

I have made about 9 new friends playing this game. I think it is fine the way it is. Maybe you aren't making enough effort to be sociable.

He argues they're boring as hell and only engage 2/5 senses.

do the side -scrollers that he adores so much engage more than two of the available senses? Wii suppository remote?

DayZ tries to go beyond that and engage some semblance of feeling and emotion in players. It could fundamentally redefine the FPS and all we know about it by establishing a system where the community becomes the NPCs' date=' and everything you work with has merit. [/quote']

You would negate much of that emergent game-play by imposing sanctions and penalties on play styles that you do not enjoy. You're trying for a post-apocalyptic utopia in which the bad guys are punished and the hero survivors are pandered to.

But instead players neglect that sense of feeling and context

Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world? Where none suffered' date=' where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world. But I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from. Which is why the Matrix was redesigned to this: the peak of your civilization. [/i']

- Agent Smith

do the side -scrollers that he adores so much engage more than two of the available senses? Wii suppository remote?

Dude' date=' actually watch the video next time. I mean actually watch it, he goes into some serious detail unless you were already dismissing his argument.

You would negate much of that emergent game-play by imposing sanctions and penalties on play styles that you do not enjoy. You're trying for a post-apocalyptic utopia in which the bad guys are punished and the hero survivors are pandered to.

What emergent gameplay? WHAT play styles? There's only two playstyles right now that the game supports:

Hiding in the woods

Killing

There is nothing new here. Survival on this level has been done for years, look at minecraft.

What I'm working towards is a system that actively discourages (but does not arbitrarily prevent) mass murdering because of the obvious degradation it brings to the concept of DayZ. The whole feeling sense of dread and "will he kill me will he not" is gone, replaced by 100% certainty that yes, he will kill you unless you shoot first. No thought necessary, it's all there, black and white, clear as crystal. If you think, you lose.

Just yesterday, my friends and I raided the tents from bandits. We scored because they had a UAZ and 2 ATVs. We hopped on and they came after us when they figured out what was up. I waited in the woods and watched them walk by me, and we ambushed them when they stopped. One of them DCed and the other 3 died. We lost one guy, who respawned near Cherno. Soon the same people came from the West of Cherno. We figure we hit them hard enough because obviously they respawned near there. They either glitched or hacked in M4 CCOs when they died on the other server, because they respawned and started killing everyone, zombie and otherwise, with silenced weapons. We were not giving up those ATVs, period. The second time they came up, we got them unconscious and they DCed again.

I'm not a survivor, and I'm not a bandit, I'm an Adventurer. We raid from the Bandits and let the Survivors run along because they aren't worth it. We put thought into what actually is worth picking a fight and what isn't. Bandits? They don't think, they just want to add to that murder count in the debug monitor, and when it goes to shit they DC. That's not what DayZ is about, I don't care how much "freedom" you tote.

People don't kill each other enmasse in the Matrix either, no point quoting it. Unless it was 4chan inside the matrix...which would look a lot like Karkand or Dustbowl.

Trust' date=' doubt, betrayal, which were the most exciting aspects of the game were removed completely with the removal of bandit skins.

[/quote']

35dep8.jpg

QFT

Its not some theory though, but simply the difference I experienced. While it might not be representative for all players its pretty obvious from my observation.

Of course the bandit/survivor skins were not conclusive evidence if someone would be shooting you or helping you, you had to figure that out, but that was exactly the thing that created tension IMO. And from the survivors I've met the majority did not simply shoot on sight. Some went on to betray me later, but that possibility just added to the excitement of the interaction.

Since bandit skins are gone (which I though was a good idea at first) I have yet to meet a stranger who would not immediately start shooting. So there is nothing to figure out and be worried about anymore. If I want to play cooperative now, I bring friends from outside the game, but its not the same because I am 100% sure they would never betray me for ingame reasons.

Thats why from my personal experience, trust, doubt and betrayal is not present anymore after bandit skins were gone.

Maybe for other people its a different experience, a lot of people obviously don't seem to find it boring to use 3rd party voice software to gain unrealistic ingame advantages (100% loyal co-op). You can roleplay some reason why you are loyal to each other, but it simply will never feel like actual coop with someone you really met ingame.

The OP is well reasoned and has sensible suggestions.

However I don't necessarily think this is where DayZ should go, there is something to be said for unadulterated survival sim, where your only defence against being back stabbed is your own wits and caution.

Still, I would like to see things like this tried in alpha, after all we cant know what will work until we try it.

there's no way to find out ones real intentions by observing him, there is no body language or other things in the game obviously so it's always 50-50 (either you get shot or not).

I think you are completely wrong. For me it's usually not that hard to see what someone is up to. Some ppl (like me) lower their weapons, walks slowly and keeps a distance, salutes the other player or something like that. Other ppl go prone, some hide in shadows, some run sideways or try to find a good position for shooting. Some people are camping in places where they are obviously planning an ambush. Some people sneak up on others. Some make sure they are seen and heard on a distance just to avoid an unnecessary firefight...

If you are prone on top of a silo in Cherno with a sniper rifle then you are probably looking for someone to kill, preferrably someone with a Coyote packed with meat and ammo and a nice gun for you to steal.

I wouldn't shoot someone with a patrol pack and Makarov just trying to survive, but that guy on the silo top would be fair game.

Take the suggestions somewhere else. I can already tell how much of a carebear you are if you cant handle playing the game in its current form.

It has been said many times before, this game doesn't need to change. The only thing it needs are more features and bug fixes.

anti social??

do you have any idea what i would do to someone complaining about anti social behaviour in a post apocalyptic environment?